Herdman new head coach

matty

7 hours ago, matty said:

Straith seems to be looking forward to Johnny boy http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/adam-straith-on-board-with-canadian-soccer-coach-shakeup-1.23140472

“[Herdman] has shown that is he a winner, and has gotten fantastic results with the women over the past number of years,” said Straith, who has 43 caps for Canada.

“Although this is certainly a new challenge for him, he is someone who knows the program well, and I wish him all the best and look forward to working with him in the future.”

“I think John has shown what a long-term plan can do if carried out correctly,” he said.

“Time will tell obviously what kind of plan that is, but I’m excited to see what he has envisioned for us and have only heard good things about him in the past,” added Straith, who is playing pro in Germany for Sportfreunde Lotte.

“I think now it’s extremely important for the program to have some stability. And hopefully, now with John, we have that and can all move forward together.”

I am sure he is. Adam did not play much under OZ so I would expect him to be positive on a manager change. Would prefer to hear from the starters

14 minutes ago, Vic said:

If the tables were turned, and we gave the women's team a coach who had only ever coached men... the outcome from the women would make the #metoo wave look subtle. Our women especially would go nuclear, and if it was the American women OMG it would be of epic and seismic proportions.

This happens all the time. The last France coach got hired and literally admitted he had never seen a women's soccer game (I'm sure Herdman has seen men play soccer before?). 

27 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I am sure he is. Adam did not play much under OZ so I would expect him to be positive on a manager change. Would prefer to hear from the starters

Wow way to dismiss one of the most capped guys on the team who was also a regular 18 for OZ. Sure Adam is generally playing this the way one would expect but is making VERY VALID comments.

Edited by matty

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Wow way to dismiss of the most capped guys on the team who was also a regular 18 for OZ. Sure Adam is generally playing this the way one would expect but is making VERY VALID comments.

At the end of the day we need to get total clarity from the CSA as to why they made this move and why JH is the right choice period. 

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

At the end of the day we need to get total clarity from the CSA as to why they made this move and why JH is the right choice period. 

While we might like it, I doubt we'll get a legit answer ever and I don't think we need it as much as the team does.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Maybe he is and we don't know it yet. Either way polls don't decide shit in sports aside from fan awards

Agreed. Performance is what matters and that's why we need to support Herdman because if he succeeds, Canada succeeds and that's what counts!

Bring on the League of Nations!

8 minutes ago, canta15 said:

And what is even more laughable are people voted that 57% of people thought Herdman is a better choice than Zambrano

Not surprised at that polling. Surely these are mostly CanWNT fans, who outnumber us greatly. 

The women win.

The men lose.

Canadians (on average) are ban wagon national team fans (unless it's hockey) a.k.a we value results, with little fan loyalty if results aren't there.

The Progressive movement and it's virtue signalling are alive and strong in Canada.

A perfect storm :lol:

I am actually surprised it was only 57%

Edited by Obinna

I listened to the whole interview which only confirmed that Herdman is nothing more than a cheap preacher.  Didn't say anything about his soccer plans, just pure philosophical verbiage.  What is also laughable is his bragging about revamping the women team after Morace.  The team was already very good and competitive internationally.  They just slumped with Morace and would have resurfaced with any coach.  So no glory there.  Then he talks about the men doing well in the last Gold Cup.  That was the accomplishment of Zambrano, not his.  Herdman calls himself an "International Coach", oh please!

1 minute ago, dbailey62 said:

Agreed. Performance is what matters and that's why we need to support Herdman because if he succeeds, Canada succeeds and that's what counts!

People were cautiously optimistic about OZ and did find things to critique during his tenue but now he's a martyr who did nothing wrong ever, ever and all the rumours we're hearing are fake news.

A lot of the rejection of and concern about JH is because he hasn't worked in the men's game. Everyone's acting like he fired OZ and put himself in but he didn't. Let him have a go before you act he's the HIV virus and you're the Reagan administration.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not surprised at that polling. Surely these are mostly CanWNT fans, who outnumber us greatly. 

The women win.

The men lose.

Canadians (on average) are ban wagon national team fans (unless it's hockey) a.k.a value results with little fan loyalty if results aren't there.

The Progressive movement and it's virtue signalling are alive and strong in Canada.

A perfect storm :lol:

I am actually surprised it was only 57%

Why does it have to be virtue signalling?

18 minutes ago, matty said:

Maybe he is and we don't know it yet. Either way polls don't decide shit in sports aside from fan awards

We live in a polarized world, were polls are more like taking attendance than anything. 

5 minutes ago, matty said:

People were cautiously optimistic about OZ and did find things to critique during his tenue but now he's a martyr who did nothing wrong ever, ever and all the rumours we're hearing are fake news.

A lot of the rejection of and concern about JH is because he hasn't worked in the men's game. Everyone's acting like he fired OZ and put himself in but he didn't. Let him have a go before you act he's the HIV virus and you're the Reagan administration.

Why does it have to be virtue signalling?

It doesn't have to be, but I think in many cases, it is. I just get the impression from some of the male CWNT fans that giving their support makes them feel good about themselves, because they are supporting women and women do not typically get equal support in sports. It seems like for some of them, their support is less about soccer and more about the "equality" movement.

Contrast that to CMNT fans, where it is purely about soccer and nothing else.

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We live in a polarized world, were polls are more like taking attendance than anything. 

Sport fans in North America are rather fickle and change tones very quickly. Polls like this should not be seen as serious.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It doesn't have to be, but I think in many cases, it is. I just get the impression from some of the male CWNT fans that giving their support makes them feel good about themselves, because they are supporting women and women do not typically get equal support in sports. It seems like for some of them, their support is less about soccer and more about the "equality" movement.

Or they like a winner and they're indifferent to the technical differences. The CWNT popularity surpassing the men's predates a lot of the current political climate.

So nothing really to report back on re TSN appearance other than our journalists are really soft on asking tough questions. Once again the CSA are absent and leave it to JH to put the inferno out by himself. Shame on them..truly gutless leadership. While I do think JH is the right person for the men's  excel program his success  as manager of the CMNT  is going to hinge on him hiring experienced and seasoned assistants who have a Concacaf CV

1 minute ago, matty said:

Or they like a winner and they're indifferent to the technical differences. The CWNT popularity surpassing the men's predates a lot of the current political climate.

Both can be true and most likely are true.

I have no doubt there are male CWNT fans, who are casual soccer fans, who support them because they win and that's all that's to it.

But I also have no doubt there are male CWNT fans, who are casual soccer fans, who support them because they win and also because they are women.

I have two friends who fit each category. 

22 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

If only us fans  all getting behind JH would make the difference in getting wins for the CMNT... 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Both can be true and most likely are true.

I have no doubt there are male CWNT fans, who are casual soccer fans, who support them because they win and that's all that's to it.

But I also have no doubt there are male CWNT fans, who are casual soccer fans, who support them because they win and also because they are women.

I have two friends who fit each category. 

I'll agree there are but feel it's much smaller than you're giving it credit for.

14 minutes ago, matty said:

Sport fans in North America are rather fickle and change tones very quickly. Polls like this should not be seen as serious.

Matty we are not going to win unless we win in Central America and JH has zero experience there. Was that not one of the key hiring criteria after Floro? I want him to succeed as much as you do but his CV says otherwise and that is the only basis of assessing him for the job of manager of the CMNT. 

Just now, Kadenge said:

Matty we are not going to win unless we win in Central America and JH has zero experience there. Was that not one of the key hiring criteria after Floro? I want him to succeed as much as you do but his CV says otherwise and that is the only basis of assessing him for the job of manager of the CMNT. 

I blame Vic for this myth (basically a result of the 8-1 whooping), but history shows you need to win your HOME games to advance in CONCACAF with the odd road result to help your case (draw or win).

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Did OZ have CA experience? Also Herd coached matches in Brazil in one of the most important tournaments in women's soccer against Brazil.

I'm with everyone in questioning if he's the right fit but want to see if he translates well before crucifying him because I don't like the CSA's handling of this.

Also what did my comment have to do with any of this.

Edited by matty

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

I am actually more hopeful now than I initially was that Herdman can help us on the psychological side of things, despite having no pertinent experience in central america. We'll see what happens, but as it stands I still think the mere presence of Zambrano would have given our team more confidence in that region.