Herdman new head coach

matty

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Can't agrue with anything he said. It's all true. 

Wish the transition was more clean, wish Zambrano wasn't thrown under the bus, and wish we had a coach with real pedigree, but that was never going to happen for a multitude of reasons.

One thing can be said for sure, this doesn't sound like it will be more of the same. Brain room? Themes? Structures? It all sounds a little new aged and we do have a young squad and I think some players will buy into it, but others like Cavallini I have a very, very, very hard time seeing him going into the brain room to make sure he's mentally prepared. Perhaps you can even blame the players for not having humility, but it is what it is. All part of the challenge.

I am far, far, far from optimistic it will work out. But the decision has been made.

Our job as fans now is to really put pressure on the CSA. Force them to take ownership and force a change when the results aren't to our standard. 

If they are, the CSA and herdman deserve praise. If not? Run them out of town. All of them.

Run them out of town, this should have happened back in the 70’s when I first started following them , it should have happened back in the days I had to go to an Elsalvadorian social club here in Toronto, to be able to watch a World Cup qualifiying  game between Canada and El Salvador , because it was nowhere to be found on regular TV ya I go way back with these CSA idiots!

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Can anyone confirm that Herdman does not have a UEFA A coaching license?  CSA site says he has a diploma equivalency? What the hell is that? 

I believe he took coaching courses while at university in England prior to his time with the Sunderland Academy. 

Neil Davidson wrote:

..... Knowing a pro career was not in the cards, he started to take coaching courses at 16. He had his own soccer school at 23 and then spent three years at the Sunderland academy where he worked with a young Jordan Henderson, now a Liverpool star.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/john-herdman-takes-over-canadas-mens-program-1.4478560

^^ Quote from the  December 5 , 2017   Mixxed  Zone Podcast  ( 6 min 40 sec mark  ):

KIERAN THEIVAM :  " .... looking  at  John Herdman, who I believe did a UEFA B a number of years ago and now has a UEFA   license based   on an equivalence that  he's got  with Canada Soccer. "

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/HWL4693619618?selected=HLR1311616392

On 11/1/2018 at 2:55 AM, 1996 said:

Run them out of town, this should have happened back in the 70’s when I first started following them , it should have happened back in the days I had to go to an Elsalvadorian social club here in Toronto, to be able to watch a World Cup qualifiying  game between Canada and El Salvador , because it was nowhere to be found on regular TV ya I go way back with these CSA idiots!

Oh geez, I read that too quickly, I thought you wanted to run the El Salvadorans out of town.

Don't know where I'd come up with a crazy idea like that.

17 hours ago, Obinna said:

Exclusive: Phil Neville emerges as leading candidate to be next England Women manager
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/12/phil-neville-emerges-leading-candidate-next-england-women-manager/

Boy do I ever want to say something politically incorrect right now.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/12/phil-neville-england-women-manager-job

"It is understood the 40-year-old’s name was initially suggested to the Football Association in a light-hearted manner by a well known broadcaster at a drinks reception last month. However, the idea clearly resonated in the corridors of power and is seen by Neville’s many admirers at the FA as a way of potentially getting him into the organisation."

we can only hope this is accurate honestly 

Sharman interview with Herdman

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/john-herdman-leaving-womens-national-team

Interesting to say the least. Sharman says this wasn’t supposed to happen for “weeks.”

My question for those who are disappointed with the hire; if you ignore the fact of where he came from and how this came to be, big asks I know, what are your opinions on his plans, thoughts and words?

To me it’s literally exactly what we want to hear as MNT fans. 

Edited by BuzzAndSting

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Interesting to say the least. Sharman says this wasn’t supposed to happen for “weeks.”

My question for those who are disappointed with the hire; if you ignore the fact of where he came from and how this came to be, big asks I know, what are your opinions on his plans, thoughts and words?

But he put the knife in the back of Zambrano.  He worked behind the scenes, and made this happen.  Shame.

And no, I'm not excited about him.  His credentials are not there.  Say whatever you want, the CMNT and CWNT are different.  The game is the same, but the stuff off the field is different.  I don't see how he will be better than anyone else.  There is nothing yet to suggest that.

And in that interview, he says a bunch of good chatter... "It's a systems approach," but it doesn't really mean anything.  What he said was, we're going to make the hex consistently, and have more pro players at tier one.  Well, no shit!  Octavio, are you listening?  That's what got him the job instead of you, he wanted to produce talented players that are "housed in key areas." (again, what does that mean!?)

And did you notice that he referenced the positive signs of the Gold Cup, and the home game against Jamaica?  The important thing is that he needs to differentiate himself from Zambrano, who did a good job on the field. 

Edited by RJB

15 minutes ago, RJB said:

But he put the knife in the back of Zambrano.  He worked behind the scenes, and made this happen.  Shame.

And no, I'm not excited about him.  His credentials are not there.  Say whatever you want, the CMNT and CWNT are different.  The game is the same, but the stuff off the field is different.  I don't see how he will be better than anyone else.  There is nothing yet to suggest that.

And in that interview, he says a bunch of good chatter... "It's a systems approach," but it doesn't really mean anything.  What he said was, we're going to make the hex consistently, and have more pro players at tier one.  Well, no shit!  Octavio, are you listening?  That's what got him the job instead of you, he wanted to produce talented players that are "housed in key areas." (again, what does that mean!?)

And did you notice that he referenced the positive signs of the Gold Cup, and the home game against Jamaica?  The important thing is that he needs to differentiate himself from Zambrano, who did a good job on the field. 

Appreciate the comment.

So if what has been said about OZ is true how do you reconcile the notion that he asked players where they wanted to play and that he told them to “have fun” with the results of the GC and the home game against Jamaica?

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Oh he talks a great game.  Which coach hasnt said how "the landscapes ready", "we are going to push it forward"...other gems as well  "i'm the first coach coming in with a winning international record" "i'm passionate and work harder than most people" blah blah blah.  The proof is in the pudding so lets get out there and transform how things are done from the grassroots up in mens soccer.  Which is something every new hire has said they would try to do for the last 20 years.  For me his claim to fame is taking a program that was already winning Concacaf championships, WC semifinalists, top team in the world and "maybe" made them a little bit better.  Maybe made the program more sustainable.  Which is all good, great job..but pushing a mens program that to be totally honest is way out in the weeds, and getting them back into at least consistent competetion for CONCACAFs WC spots (HEX spots at minimum) is going dwarf anything he did with the womens program.  Is he the one to do it?? Well no one else has......and they gave nice positive interviews when they were hired as well.  

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Appreciate the comment.

So if what has been said about OZ is true how do you reconcile the notion that he asked players where they wanted to play and that he told them to “have fun” with the results of the GC and the home game against Jamaica?

You see, that's the dangerous thing for me.  First off, I'd like to hear the players say that he said that.  With respect to Peter Schaad, he's pretty comfy in his position as buddies with Dolan and DeVos, and so I don't think he's ready to rock the boat.  And of course he would support those guys(especially DeVos, who I predict will be Assistant Manager).  So I'd like to hear a player say those things about the tactics, because I would expect a coach at any level to ask a player where they prefer to play, and to encourage them to have fun.  So if what you suggested above is what he said, that I say great.  It's is naive and foolish to think that's all he said.  No way.

But this isn't about Zambrano.  The focus now is on Herdman.  And he needs to demonstrate how he is the best candidate in the whole world, and how he is so good that he deserves to get hired without a competition.  This interview with Sharman has done nothing for me.  He put the knife in Zambrano's back, and will need to do more than just spout off a bunch of cliche's to convince me. 

56 minutes ago, RJB said:

...He put the knife in Zambrano's back, and will need to do more than just spout off a bunch of cliche's to convince me. 

God you'd think this guy was Brutus or something, he isn't (the CSA made the call because they're punks).

We need to move past Herdman's ultimatum (CSA's poor handling of this on the other hand...which btw let's keep to the OZ sacked thread) and just let him manage.  Let him sink or swim. I wish him the best.

Edited by matty

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Yeah, it really was a lot that you would hope to hear from a new coach.  With plenty of boilerplate quotes that you would expect. 

I could have done without the whining towards the end about the valid criticisms of his appointment.  Questioning why people would criticize him over the "gender-issue".     It's not a "gender-issue", it's a lack of specific experience issue!   That's a legit complaint, and he would be wise to concentrate on the new job, and worry  less about what people are saying.

The only way he wins those people over, is with results, and not interviews.

I wish Sharman would've pressed him a bit for info on his coaching staff and philosophy/playing style.

4 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Is this link still active? Not working for me!

Straith seems to be looking forward to Johnny boy http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/adam-straith-on-board-with-canadian-soccer-coach-shakeup-1.23140472

“[Herdman] has shown that is he a winner, and has gotten fantastic results with the women over the past number of years,” said Straith, who has 43 caps for Canada.

“Although this is certainly a new challenge for him, he is someone who knows the program well, and I wish him all the best and look forward to working with him in the future.”

“I think John has shown what a long-term plan can do if carried out correctly,” he said.

“Time will tell obviously what kind of plan that is, but I’m excited to see what he has envisioned for us and have only heard good things about him in the past,” added Straith, who is playing pro in Germany for Sportfreunde Lotte.

“I think now it’s extremely important for the program to have some stability. And hopefully, now with John, we have that and can all move forward together.”

5 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Appreciate the comment.

Cruyff always told his players, before a knock-out game or a final, to go out and enjoy themselves. Because Cruyff was one of the most forward thinking coaches of the last 40 years. No coach before Cruyff, except his mentors in the Ajax and Dutch system, had training sessions with so much time on the ball, everything with the ball on your feet.

And I know 100% that Zambrano is in that school, that you cannot win games in critical moments with anxiety, and you can't learn that way either. One thing is tension, but the tension in a knock-out match you have anyways, you dont have to tense yourself up more. 

Zambrano is a coach of the 21st century, he has vision, is rather joyful in most of his tweets, he's generous towards his peers and is constantly complementing them (including Herdman, must be said). He is also a team player. 

IMO Herdman did plot against him and just that disqualifies him as our coach, since he is not a person to be trusted. I mean, whatever he says to a player in public may have another version behind that player's back. That is untenable.

Just saw the condensed version on Sports Central. His last rant about gender tells you everything you need to know (to paraphrase) "the best will work with anyone who will work with people regardless of gender and who'll get the best out of them"...yup this guy is a "motivational" type and he better hope the Men buy-in.

Edited by jpg75

I think it's a shame that Herdman thinks that the concerns people have over his lack of experience with the men's game - especially the Concacaf men's game - is a "gender issue".

If he was a woman and people were questioning his appointment because of his gender, then it would be a gender issue. The men he will be coaching will have fundamentally different experiences of their own as professional players and from the environments they will have played in - even before you get into all of the physical differences. Just from a "motivational coach" point of view, it will be a completely new experience for him in trying to motivate players who have completely different experiences and most likely very different personalities. If he doesn't understand that, then he might not know what he's letting himself in for, and will need to learn in a hurry.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Just saw the condensed version on Sports Central. His last rant about gender tells you everything you need to know (to paraphrase) "the best will work with anyone who will work with people regardless of gender and who'll get the best out of them"...yup this guy is a "motivational" type and he better hope the Men buy-in.

I came here to post precisely this comment.  Saw the excerpt - disappointing to say the least.  Rather than speak to his tactical acumen, or specifically about his vision of play for the men's game (ie. Actually addressing the issue) he does some virtue-signal bullshit and chastises us for having the unbelievable audacity to ask such an offensive question.  Fuck that.