TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Any idea if we are playing any more preseason games before the 20th? They are headed down to Mexico City on Tuesday but I can't find if we are playing any games there.

That's the plan! No reason to go to Mexico City if they weren't playing games. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.  

Toronto Sun article on Hamilton, Spencer & Akinola:

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-coach-vanney-wants-depth-strikers-to-throw-names-into-hat-of-consistency

One can only get a sense of Hamilton being hard done by in some of these comments, particularly by Larson:

"Hamilton hit for five goals in nine USL appearances last season. Spencer’s striker rate was far worse."

I would have gone for "far less impressive" as the above use of "worse" implies that Hamilton's 5 goals in 9 games is somehow a bad strike rate, especially for a team that was often punching above its average age group and was often at the bottom of the standings.

And then there's this:

"Then there’s Hamilton, the Homegrown Player who needs to turn from prospect to contributor sooner than later."

Yup, that's right Kurtis, Hamilton didn't contribute at all to the first team. Playing just a piddly 142 minutes, he managed to get 2 goals, 1 assist and be fouled for a PK converted by Vazquez for a key come-from-behind goal against 2nd place overall team NYCFC at Yankee Stadium. With a rate of scoring or setting up a goal once every 35 and a half minutes in MLS last year, it's absolutely correct to call him a non-contributor.

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Toronto Sun article on Hamilton, Spencer & Akinola:

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-coach-vanney-wants-depth-strikers-to-throw-names-into-hat-of-consistency

One can only get a sense of Hamilton being hard done by in some of these comments, particularly by Larson:

"Hamilton hit for five goals in nine USL appearances last season. Spencer’s striker rate was far worse."

I would have gone for "far less impressive" as the above use of "worse" implies that Hamilton's 5 goals in 9 games is somehow a bad strike rate, especially for a team that was often punching above its average age group and was often at the bottom of the standings.

And then there's this:

"Then there’s Hamilton, the Homegrown Player who needs to turn from prospect to contributor sooner than later."

Yup, that's right Kurtis, Hamilton didn't contribute at all to the first team. Playing just a piddly 142 minutes, he managed to get 2 goals, 1 assist and be fouled for a PK converted by Vazquez for a key come-from-behind goal against 2nd place overall team NYCFC at Yankee Stadium. With a rate of scoring or setting up a goal once every 35 and a half minutes in MLS last year, it's absolutely correct to call him a non-contributor.

:rolleyes:

Typical Kurtis! I'm not a Vanney basher but c'mon Greg. Spencer should never got an injury or suspension start ahead of Hamilton. 

Let me add that the implied criticism of Ricketts for having only 12 touches of the ball in Columbus should be a team criticism. Sure he gets some blame but he wasn't being well serviced due in part to the decision to play long ball and let him chase. Columbus knew it and we're prepared for it marking Ricketts, as the lone striker, very much out of the game.  

Its definitely one of Vanneys negative traits.  Fortunately for him, Delgado and Zavaletta have become decent contributors. Or maybe unfortunately because now he thinks he can refurbish Spencer into something that he is not.    At age 22, after major knee surgery etc, now he thinks about being a hold up, back to goal forward?? Hasnt he been a head taller than everyone else for years? He never thought to make that part of his game??  It burns me that TFC are going to great lengths, giving him every chance when the guy who does score when you play him (Hamilton) barely gets a mention and his every flaw is magnified. Akinola and Hundal etc are watiing in the wings...time to move on.  Vanney is using up any goodwill he earned from TFC's success with this dogged determination (arrogance) to make something of Spencer.  Release him AGAIN, and help him catch on with a USL side or in europe if you believe in him that much and coach him in your spare time.   

I'm not even going to mention that Endo is still around while Edwards is in Montreal.  

22 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Its definitely one of Vanneys negative traits.  Fortunately for him, Delgado and Zavaletta have become decent contributors. Or maybe unfortunately because now he thinks he can refurbish Spencer into something that he is not.    At age 22, after major knee surgery etc, now he thinks about being a hold up, back to goal forward?? Hasnt he been a head taller than everyone else for years? He never thought to make that part of his game??  It burns me that TFC are going to great lengths, giving him every chance when the guy who does score when you play him (Hamilton) barely gets a mention and his every flaw is magnified. Akinola and Hundal etc are watiing in the wings...time to move on.  Vanney is using up any goodwill he earned from TFC's success with this dogged determination (arrogance) to make something of Spencer.  Release him AGAIN, and help him catch on with a USL side or in europe if you believe in him that much and coach him in your spare time.   

I'm not even going to mention that Endo is still around while Edwards is in Montreal.  

Vanney has not used up his good will due to Spencer. It's far too premature to say that ..... and hey, it's not like they protected Endoh at Edwards expense. Neither was protected. I don't like how it turned out either. I got the impression that LA offered a deal to get him back but it was too rich for TFC's blood. It's a damned shame though. So sad that he's now wearing blue and white.  

23 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

Let me add that the implied criticism of Ricketts for having only 12 touches of the ball in Columbus should be a team criticism. Sure he gets some blame but he wasn't being well serviced due in part to the decision to play long ball and let him chase. Columbus knew it and we're prepared for it marking Ricketts, as the lone striker, very much out of the game.  

He would be in 5th place on my list of who to blame for that, after Giovinco (for getting needlessly suspended), Altidore, Klejstan (for helping to get Altidore needlessly suspended) and Vanney (for not even dressing Hamilton and going with the ultimately-unused Spencer on the bench instead). Then the rest of the team that played would come in after Ricketts on that list.

Though the fact that we won that series and came away with the desired draw on the road against a very good team suggests to me that there really isn't much need for finger-pointing in the first place!

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

He would be in 5th place on my list of who to blame for that, after Giovinco (for getting needlessly suspended), Altidore, Klejstan (for helping to get Altidore needlessly suspended) and Vanney (for not even dressing Hamilton and going with the ultimately-unused Spencer on the bench instead). Then the rest of the team that played would come in after Ricketts on that list.

Though the fact that we won that series and came away with the desired draw on the road against a very good team suggests to me that there really isn't much need for finger-pointing in the first place!

If I recall correctly, Columbus should have won that game.  They had a couple of sitters that they missed.  I think they also had a great chance at the end of the second game in Toronto that the Columbus striker missed from in close due to a last minute deflection.   On a couple of occasions, it was few inches that knocked Columbus out and kept Toronto in.  However, due to TFC's dominance in the finals, most of us have forgotten that. 

53 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

If I recall correctly, Columbus should have won that game.  They had a couple of sitters that they missed.  I think they also had a great chance at the end of the second game in Toronto that the Columbus striker missed from in close due to a last minute deflection.   On a couple of occasions, it was few inches that knocked Columbus out and kept Toronto in.  However, due to TFC's dominance in the finals, most of us have forgotten that. 

I haven't forgotten it - although my recollection is that those sitters that were missed were because of great saves by Bono and a great block by Edwards rather than Columbus missing the net. I also remember TFC being largely in control in the 1st half though, rather than this being a game that Columbus dominated or created a bevy of chances throughout.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I haven't forgotten it - although my recollection is that those sitters that were missed were because of great saves by Bono and a great block by Edwards rather than Columbus missing the net. I also remember TFC being largely in control in the 1st half though, rather than this being a game that Columbus dominated or created a bevy of chances throughout.

Yes, Bono did make a great save at the end of the first match and I had forgotten about the Edwards block.  However, unless I am mis-remembering things, I thought Columbus had a cross that one player got a piece of with his head that prevented his teammate from tapping into an empty net.

What struck me about that press conference is the contrast that european athletes show in that kind of setting compared to north american pro athlete.   When asked a question, they are not scared to open up and say what they really think.  Hockey players,  especially, will always give the coached PR safe response always carefull not to say anything negative or perceived as negative about their previous clubs.  

Then you listen to that press conference,  he wasnt shy about saying what he felt about his experience in Turkey and at Cagliari 

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

What struck me about that press conference is the contrast that european athletes show in that kind of setting compared to north american pro athlete.   When asked a question, they are not scared to open up and say what they really think.  Hockey players,  especially, will always give the coached PR safe response always carefull not to say anything negative or perceived as negative about their previous clubs.  

Then you listen to that press conference,  he wasnt shy about saying what he felt about his experience in Turkey and at Cagliari 

The Cagliari fans I've seen on Twitter think he's full of --it which is amusing and perhaps a touch concerning. I hope he proves himself immediately to get the Turkish and Italian monkeys off his back. 

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

It was a match that could have gone either way, hinging on key moments (missed penalty, missed chances).  It was much better than the final, for sure.  Columbus played a great game in the underdog role.

Appears that we have some preseason friendlies lined up for us while in Mexico according to mlssoccer.com:

While in the Mexican capital, TFC will play four matches over nine days, including three against Liga MX opposition – Club America, Pachuca, and Cruz Azul — after already having played Club Tijuana in San Diego last week.

With the fourth match falling on the weekend, when the big teams are occupied with league play, TFC will face a yet-to-be-identified local squad.

“They tend to play a lot against the first division teams there,” said Vanney. “It will be a good test for some of our guys.”

Toronto will split the roster for the four matches.

“Not everybody will play every game,” Vanney said. “Each will get two-by-ninety, so they get the feel of what a long game looks like. The added part is that Mexico City is at altitude, so we'll start the process of adjustment while we're there. We'll have experienced that before we go to Colorado.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/06/toronto-fc-embark-preseason-trip-mexico-quest-ccl-trophy-looms

Archived