TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

12 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

Ya but it will be in French so double translation needed from smoke signals to French to English. I'd have recommended semaphore so as to reduce the carbon footprint!

The only problem with semaphore is that there is apparently no easy signal for "Try not to pass the ball to Spencer because he's useless", which surely is something that any TFCII coach will want to convey to his team. Whereas there is an easy smoke signal sign for this - it's whatever smoke results when you throw Canadian Tire money onto a fire.

Now watch Spencer get 15 goals this year just to make me look like an even bigger idiot.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info on Patterson dbailey.  By the way, TFC beat another college team 7-1 today.  Three groups over 3 periods again.  Altidore, Hagglund and Osorio score from the first group, Ben White from the second, and, in the third group,  Chapman scores twice and sets up everybody's favourite Ben Spencer for another.  Chapman's performance all the more impressive considering the last two groups only played 25 minutes each.

On January 29, 2018 at 10:42 PM, Ivan said:

Thanks for the info on Patterson dbailey.  By the way, TFC beat another college team 7-1 today.  Three groups over 3 periods again.  Altidore, Hagglund and Osorio score from the first group, Ben White from the second, and, in the third group,  Chapman scores twice and sets up everybody's favourite Ben Spencer for another.  Chapman's performance all the more impressive considering the last two groups only played 25 minutes each.

It's tough to judge them against college teams but they are winning big and that is what we would expect. Great to hear that Chapman is having success and hopefully gaining confidence!

Regarding Patterson, I had to look it up for my own knowledge too! :)

TFC looked sharp apart from two giveaways that led to goals. Offensively TFC was decisive and very quick to move the ball. The first team was very impressive and looks as if they will roll through Colorado in the first round.

Apart from the DPs Chapman actually impressed me the most. He played the last half hour with the subs in the playmaking position just behind Hamilton and Spencer. He fed Spencer a beautiful breakaway ball which of course Spencer missed. Chapman really controlled the midfield for the last half hour. Not afraid to carry the ball or move about the pitch. He definitely looks like a replacement for Vazquez if he needs a break or is injured.

Our man Spencer missed a clear header on the 6 yard box later in the game as well. However, he seems to continually find himself in scoring positions which Hamilton does not... 

oh ya... Bono got a red card in the last few min. for handling the ball just outside the box. Hagglund saved the free kick. It was quite the interesting game for a preseason friendly.

2 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

TFC looked sharp apart from two giveaways that led to goals. Offensively TFC was decisive and very quick to move the ball. The first team was very impressive and looks as if they will roll through Colorado in the first round.

Apart from the DPs Chapman actually impressed me the most. He played the last half hour with the subs in the playmaking position just behind Hamilton and Spencer. He fed Spencer a beautiful breakaway ball which of course Spencer missed. Chapman really controlled the midfield for the last half hour. Not afraid to carry the ball or move about the pitch. He definitely looks like a replacement for Vazquez if he needs a break or is injured.

Our man Spencer missed a clear header on the 6 yard box later in the game as well. However, he seems to continually find himself in scoring positions which Hamilton does not... 

oh ya... Bono got a red card in the last few min. for handling the ball just outside the box. Hagglund saved the free kick. It was quite the interesting game for a preseason friendly.

Yeah I agree with you on Chapman. Of course he must be getting better training alongside Vazquez. It really shows.

TFC looked more in season than Xolos did. Scary stuff. 

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yeah I agree with you on Chapman. Of course he must be getting better training alongside Vazquez. It really shows.

TFC looked more in season than Xolos did. Scary stuff. 

Apparently Tijuana only had 3 players (subs) from their regular 18 in the lineup.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Apparently Tijuana only had 3 players (subs) from their regular 18 in the lineup.

I have heard people say that elsewhere, but I did notice a few high level players on the field for them.

Bolaños, who scored the brace, is an Ecuadorian international with 8 goals in 20 games for his country. He's on loan from Grêmio. I think Iturbe played too. Paraguyan international forward on loan from Roma. 

Maybe it's a testiment to their depth, but for all I know, those "subs" were important players who were just rested against Puebla. I am not sure how much to read into the fact that no starters from that match started this one. I don't follow Club Tijuana very closely.

Either way, we are in preseason and looked very in sync. That's a great sign and to be expected. MLS Cup was only 6-7 weeks ago.

In contrast, the second unit did look in preseason. They don't play together as often.

54 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

And TFC is in preseason. I wouldn't read into the result for either team

Of course. Results mean nothing. As you can see though, I am not gushing about the result, but I am gushing about the performance.

It was assuring to see everything was clicking with the first unit, especially with Colorado around the corner. They have added many pieces and have improved, but I expect them to lack chemistry, unlike us.

What is more likely to be a TFC II starting roster: Angelo Cavalluzzo Ben White Rocco Romeo Andre Morrison Dante Campbell Luis Pereira Luca Uccello Ryan Telfer Malik Johnson Aidan Daniels Ayo Akinola

lost to some club named "VC Fusion" in a 70 minute scrimmage 2-1. TFC II were down 2-0 in the first half, Jordan Hamilton came on as a sub in the 2nd 35 minutes to get one back for TFC.

TFC tied LAFC 2-2, with ex-TFC keeper Quillan Roberts getting the start for LAFC (he's a trialist at the moment). TFC's starting line-up here was: Clint Irwin Nick Hagglund Julian Dunn Tim Kubel Ashtone Morgan Liam Fraser Jay Chapman Noble Okello Tsubasa Endoh Ben Spencer Ayo Akinola

Another 2nd or in some cases 5th or 6th  choice line-up to start although a bunch of subs came in around the 30 min mark and again at 2nd half and again at the 60min mark. Endoh scored in the first half, Giovinco in the 2nd.

No sign still of Ricketts even though Vanney keeps saying that everyone is healthy from the interviews I've seen. Maybe he means that nobody else has been injured since the camp started.

Archived