TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

24-year-old attacking midfielder, out of favor this year but reportedly pretty well-rated. The gulf between the haves and have-nots in MLS is getting wider and wider.

In a league with a salary cap, its hard to complain about the haves and the have-nots.  You either have an owner that is willing to spend as much as they are allowed to or you don't.  Being stingy is not the same as being a have-not.

Sam isn't complaining though. Just pointing out the obvious. It sure is nice to have a wealthy owner who is willing spend!

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Here is the guy we'll get to see in all the CDN championship games.....YEAH!!!  

Saw on Twitter someone say TFC II for sure but also quality depth in case someone is interested in Irwin.  Never know when someone might call for him and I'm sure they'd love to get out from his cap figure if they have a solid back up.

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Saw on Twitter someone say TFC II for sure but also quality depth in case someone is interested in Irwin.  Never know when someone might call for him and I'm sure they'd love to get out from his cap figure if they have a solid back up.

Ya, they need somebody to split the year with Cavaluzzo and having a veteran to call-up is obviously a good thing. With no offence to Pais, I didn't like the idea of our #3 being so inexperienced. I also wonder if Cavaluzzo ever gets a chance. 

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

TFC have reportedly signed attacking midfielder/winger Ager Aketxe from Atheltic Bilbao. 24 years old, was on loan at Cadiz in Segunda Division last year (5 G, 2 A), and has made 12 appearances for Bilbao this season.

Confirmed by Joshua Kloke of The Athletic:

And MLSSoccer.com's Sam Stejskal is saying that there's more TAM signings to come from TFC:

There goes all of Chapman’s playing time...

2 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

Ya, they need somebody to split the year with Cavaluzzo and having a veteran to call-up is obviously a good thing. With no offence to Pais, I didn't like the idea of our #3 being so inexperienced. I also wonder if Cavaluzzo ever gets a chance. 

I thought Pais was released??  Makes you wonder eh? Cavaliuzzo wont ever get a chance.  But they could have brought back Monsalve if they were just looking for a 30year old journeymen to take away minutes from younger keepers.  At least he is CDN.  

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

There goes Osorios playing time....

I could be wrong, but I feel like he is more a sub for Vazquez. There are a lot of games this year, and there is no way Vazquez can play all of them. Osorio will still get time. Maybe not start as many, but he still will. Chapman will be stuck like glue to the bench or TFCII. He will only see time in the Canadian Championship.

I was hoping they'd sign Cavaluzzo for the 3rd spot rather than another journeyman American (esp. given that Cavaluzzo outperformed last-year's journneyman 3rd string ,yet Pais got the 1st team deal). As for Ager Aketxe I was posting the other day that I thought TFC needed more midfield depth so I'm not sure I will complain here - according to wiki he's played all of 14 games in the top flight in Spain in his career, the rest in the 2nd division. So probably a quality player but not necessarily someone at the level that Chapman couldn't possibly compete with for playing time. The last player we signed form the 2nd division in Spain was Alvaro Rey who was good but not a world beater.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

By my count, TFC has only signed Van der wiel with TAM so far this off season.

Plus we sold a chunk of it for GAM. 

This Spaniard will be TAM and if we can believe the rumours, there will be one or two more.  

While Auro is on loan from Sao Paolo, we still have to pay his salary. I'm not sure what pot that would come out of. 

3 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

24-year-old attacking midfielder, out of favor this year but reportedly pretty well-rated. The gulf between the haves and have-nots in MLS is getting wider and wider.

In a league with a salary cap, its hard to complain about the haves and the have-nots.  You either have an owner that is willing to spend as much as they are allowed to or you don't.  Being stingy is not the same as being a have-not.

It comes down in my opinion to revenues a club generates.  In his book,  R Peddie mentioned that at the time he was still in charge, TFC were the top revenue generating club in mls on a per game basis.  At that time,  Giovinco, Altidore and Bradley were not around. Nor was there playoff gates. 

You need to make money to spend money.  The strong support ( the large season ticket base,  the waiting list season tickets,  and the high prices ) is the reason that they can spend on talent.  

The media giants who owned the company are not any less or more frugal than anyone else.  They just spend on the club what they make from the club.  

There is a misconception out there that, unlike for example in Montreal,  TFC can spend because of who owns the team.  But that's just not the case.  

The blue jays are  owned by almost the same group and yet they are considered a medium to small revenue / spending club compared to their baseball counter parts. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I thought Pais was released??  Makes you wonder eh? Cavaliuzzo wont ever get a chance.  But they could have brought back Monsalve if they were just looking for a 30year old journeymen to take away minutes from younger keepers.  At least he is CDN.  

Pais was released. He was our #3 last year and I said, I didn't like that! I'm more comfortable with this guy. At least he's got some experience beyond college. 

I'm betting Monsalve got a decent deal in Ottawa. 

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

It comes down in my opinion to revenues a club generates.  In his book,  R Peddie mentioned that at the time he was still in charge, TFC were the top revenue generating club in mls on a per game basis.  At that time,  Giovinco, Altidore and Bradley were not around. Nor was there playoff gates. 

You need to make money to spend money.  The strong support ( the large season ticket base,  the waiting list season tickets,  and the high prices ) is the reason that they can spend on talent.  

The media giants who owned the company are not any less or more frugal than anyone else.  They just spend on the club what they make from the club.  

There is a misconception out there that, unlike for example in Montreal,  TFC can spend because of who owns the team.  But that's just not 

the case.   The blue jays are  owned by almost the same group and yet they are considered a medium to small revenue / spending club compared to their baseball counter parts. 

The Blue Jays are owned by Rogers alone though and it wouldn't surprise me if they try to find a way out. I wonder if MLSE one day owns them. 

23 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I guess when you break down the team it makes sense. Well, have fun playing Atlanta in the real MLS Finals before crushing whatever average team makes it out of the west TFC fans!

Sour grapes. If it was the Whitecaps spending money their fans would be spooging all over themselves. 

Besides, TFC fans earned this by supporting their club. If fans of other clubs spent money on their team instead of jawboning they'd reap the same benefits.

44 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Is Tim Bezbatchenko a wizard? I don't get where all this TAM is coming from.

We are spending TAM on Vazquez, VDW and Auro so far. We can spend $5.2m of TAM this year and $2.8m in 2019 (Or $4m both years). We traded some TAM for GAM last week but got $50k in TAM at the draft. We have lots left to sign 2 good players especially if there's no transfer fee.

45 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Sour grapes. If it was the Whitecaps spending money their fans would be spooging all over themselves. 

Besides, TFC fans earned this by supporting their club. If fans of other clubs spent money on their team instead of jawboning they'd reap the same benefits.

Absolutely. But you can't expect the rest of us not to shake our fists at the dead of parity. If I gave anybody here even odds for Atlanta or TFC vs. the field for MLS Cup this year, is anybody taking the field?

Everyone is still roughly under the same salary cap still right??  Or at least as far as the murky MLS rules would suggest??  The TFC DP's make super huge wages but other than that it should be the same??  The mini-dp's that you buy with TAM...everyone should be equal there right?  

Archived