TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

So far it's been a very off off-season, with TFC finding a way to lose Raheem Edwards in the expansion draft, who then gets traded to Montreal.

Also, in the spirit of getting rid of more Canucks, Sergio Camargo apparently has been waived along with Brandon Aubrey as the two of them are eligible for the 2017 Waiver draft which is made up of players out of contract or have not had their 2018 options excercise.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/12/list-players-eligible-2017-mls-waiver-draft

Given their lack of TFC2 playing time and the TFC senior team players ahead of Camargo for the attacking midfield role, perhaps not a surprise. Hopefully this does open the door for TFC signing someone like Luca Uccello to replace the retiring Benoit Cheyrou.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Horrible loss. Edwards had emerged as the most promising prospect. He proved himself as a starter and there was a solid chance that he would start more often. Plus he’s a left footed player.

Of all the unprotected players to lose, this was the one i would have least wanted to lose.   

I hate to say it GL but with the new TAM coming in I dont think we are going to see any academy kids make inroads (with TFC) unless they are much better than what we have in the pipeline.  Vanney et al are already searching for high priced replacements for Edwards, Osorio, Hagglund, Delgado, Cooper etc.  I would expect a couple of twenty something midfielders with good predigree and potential to be signed over the next few months.  

One bonus is that TFC2 should be better as Hamilton, Chapman, Camgaro, Morgan wont see any time with the big club.  :(

20 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I hate to say it GL but with the new TAM coming in I dont think we are going to see any academy kids make inroads (with TFC) unless they are much better than what we have in the pipeline.  Vanney et al are already searching for high priced replacements for Edwards, Osorio, Hagglund, Delgado, Cooper etc.  I would expect a couple of twenty something midfielders with good predigree and potential to be signed over the next few months.  

One bonus is that TFC2 should be better as Hamilton, Chapman, Camgaro, Morgan wont see any time with the big club.  :(

Well Camargo definitely won't see any time with the big club or TFC2, if you caught the rest of my post above.

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

Horrible loss. Edwards had emerged as the most promising prospect. He proved himself as a starter and there was a solid chance that he would start more often. Plus he’s a left footed player.

Of all the unprotected players to lose, this was the one i would have least wanted to lose.   

I couldn't agree more... A bad loss all in all, from a personal and talent perspective for TFC...  Particularly, when you consider that he was in the middle of celebrations the last few days that his hometown side and a side which he contributed to in reaching such feat throughout the season, albeit sporadically for obvious reasons and now finds out that he will no longer be part of this great group of players and to contribute more to his home team and playing when called upon in front of friends and family... Somewhat devastating imo i think... On top of that, goes to play for his home team bitterest of rivals... arghhh!!! All the euphoria/elation taken from him in a matter of days... Plainly terrible!!!! ... Hopefully now, though, that the Impact seem to have a high number of CANMNTers in their roster and with the expectation some of them will be given important roles come next season with the new coach, this paves way to take his development to another level and build up some more chemistry with some of these players that likely are gonna be regular for the CANMNT in years to come... I'm sure that's the only positive of this, the opportunity to showcase his talent on a more regular basis something that as much as die-hard TFC fans we hate to say, was not gonna happen much with the current group... Who knows, this may inspire fence-fitter Ballou to finally commit to CANMNT come next year now that he will be surrounded a good group of talented young Canadian players and if not mistaken may play alongside him, right?

17 minutes ago, Oranje said:

Options declined: Cooper, Cheyrou, Pais, Aubrey, Alseth, Camargo, Spencer (yes!) and Endoh.

Options exercised: Bono, Morrow, Osorio, Chapman and Hamilton.

Crazy demise for Brandon Aubrey. Was considered a top 3 MLS Draft pick at the start of 2016, had a good not great college season that moved him to the 5-10 MLS Draft range, got absolutely destroyed at the combine and dropped to TFC at 21 in the draft, was exposed by the speed of play in USL, and might be finished with the sport.

Good choices by Tiny Tim. Get rid of Vanney's couch surfing stray so that Hamilton can get the minutes he deserves.

I'd like to see Cheyrou back on the league minimum unless he retires. He can still give us 500 minutes of decent veteran defensive presence.

2 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Good choices by Tiny Tim. Get rid of Vanney's couch surfing stray so that Hamilton can get the minutes he deserves.

I'd like to see Cheyrou back on the league minimum unless he retires. He can still give us 500 minutes of decent veteran defensive presence.

Pretty sure on one of the SN podcasts Riccio or Sharman said that Cheyrou is joining TFC coaching staff next year.

1 minute ago, Oranje said:

Pretty sure on one of the SN podcasts Riccio or Sharman said that Cheyrou is joining TFC coaching staff next year.

Well that's too bad, but good news for the Academy. Guess it says something about the city when so many former players choose to stay post career.

Nobody there they will miss.  Slide in 2-3 draft picks from this year to replace Aubry, ALseth Endo, hoping to find gold in that draft is a longshot even if you do have a top 10 pick.  Replace Spencer, Camgaro and Pais with Hundal, Fraser and Cavalluzzo from TFC2.  And bring in some expensive TAM signings for Cooper and CHeryou's spots.  (Welcome to the coaching staff Benoit, Cooper just go away!)  

Keep in mind that they can still re-sign some of these players - I think they did that with Astone Morgan last year after they initially declined his option then signed him at a lower salary. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened with Cooper in particular (I would also say Cheyrou but I also heard that he is retiring). Then again, it seems they have turfed every non-International who wasn't a starter to make up more room for international spots, no doubt to fill with TAM players

I think Ben Spencer was on the league minimum already so I don't see how they can re-sign him for a lower figure. As for Camargo & Aubrey, not a surprise as they were already in the waiver draft. I'm not fond of saying "another one for the CPL" as seems to be the case for every 2nd poster on this board (since there still really isn't a CPL until they announce more teams and a start date), but in Camargo's case that would be good if that was an option to get playing time.

Hopefully TFC will graduate a couple more Canucks from TFC2 such as Uccello. They are currently two down from last year and you can't plan to win the V-Cup with this few Canucks on the current roster and hope they are all both healthy and not on international duty.

Edit - Spencer was actually making slightly more than the league minimum (which was $53K) as he was on $65K base salary. Although its tough to imagine that they would bother to resign a player for a measely $12K less, there is also the Vanney couch factor to consider. Aubrey was at $75K base salary so if it wasn't for the fact that he didn't even play much for TF2, you could see that being negotiated down if they were so inclined. Alseth was making the league minimum so he must be gone as how can you renegotiate under the minimum? A shame as I thought he proved useful depth but given the international status and the TAM money you can see why. Camargo was on $65K like Spencer while Endoh was only on $54K (presumably 1K higher than the minimum as it was his second year in the league, but basically the minimum for a 2nd year player) so he must be gone as well, despite what the press release suggests might otherwise be the case about these players.

One more thing about Edwards - last night I was looking around youtube for more parade footage (since I had to work during the day) and nearly every video seems to have a massive outpouring of rage from TFC fans in the comments section over Edwards departure - to a level that surprises even me (even though I was predicting this would be an unpopular move even before he went to Montreal). Its ironic because in the TSN parade coverage they were talking about how important it is to for TFC to develop local players and to have them on the roster to help forge that bond between the fans, the players and even with the foreign players coming in so that the local players can help them adjust to the city. And then this happens.

TFC has currently got just 5 Canucks on the senior roster (Osorio, Morgan, Chapman, Hamilton and Ricketts), which is an insufficient number for a number of reasons (some of which, as I've alluded to above, have nothing to do with sentiment or national pride). Hopefully at least another 2, if not 3, are signed. Is Michael Petrasso doing anything at QPR these days?

Please note wording in the TFC press release:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/12/14/toronto-fc-announce-roster-options-following-2017-championship-season

" Toronto FC has declined options on goalkeeper Mark Pais, defenders Brandon Aubrey, Oyvind Alseth, midfielders Sergio Camargo, Armando Cooper, Benoit Cheyrou and forwards Ben Spencer and Tsubasa Endoh. These players will likely be invited to preseason next month."

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Nobody there they will miss.  Slide in 2-3 draft picks from this year to replace Aubry, ALseth Endo, hoping to find gold in that draft is a longshot even if you do have a top 10 pick.  Replace Spencer, Camgaro and Pais with Hundal, Fraser and Cavalluzzo from TFC2.  And bring in some expensive TAM signings for Cooper and CHeryou's spots.  (Welcome to the coaching staff Benoit, Cooper just go away!)  

The draft is going to be very weak this year, as 7-8 of the top 10 NCAA players are homegrowns of MLS teams, so don't expect anything but TFCII depth there. Anybody hear anything about Akinola lately?

Also getting rid of Cooper before CCL seems like a mistake. He thrives in CONCACAFy situations.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Also getting rid of Cooper before CCL seems like a mistake. He thrives in CONCACAFy situations.

According to this Neil Davidson article, they are talking to Cooper's agent though presumably for a lower salary:

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-makes-flurry-of-off-season-moves-1.944127

Also mentions the Cheyrou-likely-to-be-a-coach stuff

22 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

One more thing about Edwards - last night I was looking around youtube for more parade footage (since I had to work during the day) and nearly every video seems to have a massive outpouring of rage from TFC fans in the comments section over Edwards departure - to a level that surprises even me (even though I was predicting this would be an unpopular move even before he went to Montreal). Its ironic because in the TSN parade coverage they were talking about how important it is to for TFC to develop local players and to have them on the roster to help forge that bond between the fans, the players and even with the foreign players coming in so that the local players can help them adjust to the city. And then this happens.

I too am disappointed over the loss of Raheem's services.  In the Voyageurs' view I am happy if he gets more first team minutes out of this, but It hurts TFC going into a CCL preparation phase.  

Unfortunately he was the best of the exposed players and I understand how this happened.  Expansion drafts suck.

Archived