Gian-Luca

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, L.MODRIC said:

Im not sure that it will be a canadian?

I would have thought they would have promoted Danny Dichio or Terry Dunfield

Who knows maybe even Benoit Cheyrou gets the TFC 2 gig

Huge promotion for Jason Bent joining Vanney Staff as Jason is a great coach and even better person

In terms of longevity as a coach it should be Dichio but maybe there will be other factors. I am curious if Bent is replacing anyone on the bench that was there before, or maybe they want to him up to the big team to help with all of the former/part-time TFC II players now with the big club.

The more I think about it ..I want to say that it won't be anyone within the club and current coaches in the academy now.The reason I say that is if it was someone with in the club why wouldn't they just make the announcement already and not wait until next week?hmmm

I think it won't be Cheyrou as he just finished his coaching courses and is new to the academy.I certainly wouldn't want a TFC 2 gig from the get go with no coaching experience 

we shall see 

15 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I thought this was interesting from the TSN article: "Vanney also revealed Jason Bent will no longer coach Toronto FC 2, instead helping with the first team. The club is expect to announce his TFC 2 replacement next week."

Hopefully another Canadian takes over TFC 2. 

14 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

Good to see that Bent is staying with the club. 

Never watched TFC2 - has Bent been any good?  The results have not been good, and TFC 2 seems to be more a place for players on the periphery of the senior squad getting game time instead of developing younger players for promoting to the senior squad.  The main benefit I see here is that Bent knows the TFC 2 squad and can hopefully bring some up.

16 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

https://www.tsn.ca/some-familiar-names-missing-as-tfc-open-training-camp-1.975183

According to this article here is the training camp roster (Chapman erroneously listed as a defender):

Toronto FC Training Camp Roster

Goalkeeper: Alex Bono, Clint Irwin, Drew Shepherd (draft pick), Angelo Cavalluzzo (TFC II).

Defenders: Jay Chapman, Nick Hagglund, Nicolas Hasler, Chris Mavinga, Drew Moor, Ashtone Morgan, Justin Morrow, Eriq Zavaleta, Julian Dunn (TFC II), Jelani Peters (TFC II), Rocco Romeo (TFC II), Tim Kubel (draft pick), Andre Morrison (draft pick), Ben White (draft pick), Dante Campbell (TFC III), Terique Mohammed (TFC academy).

Midfielders: Michael Bradley, Marco Delgado, Liam Fraser, Jonathan Osorio, Victor Vazquez, Aidan Daniels (TFC II), Malik Johnson (TFC II), Noble Okello (TFC II), Luca Uccello (TFC II), Luis Pereira (TFC II), Ryan Tefler (TFC II).

Forwards: Ayo Akinola, Jozy Altidore, Tsubasa Endoh (trialist), Sebastian Giovinco, Jordan Hamilton, Tosaint Ricketts, Ben Spencer (trialist), Shaun Hundal (TFC II).

The bad news is that according to a John Molinaro article, Spencer is "very likely" to re-sign with the club. So presumably they declined his contract to (a) toy with the emotions of TFC fans and (b) save themselves all of $10K since he wasn't above the league minimum by very much.

Chapman as a defender?

Excellent news that Bent is getting a shot with the big club.  He has gotten some very valuable experience at the the USL level and he should be a good addition to the coaching staff.  I wonder if Pozniak takes over TFC2 or they bring in someone from outside?  Maybe even Dichio, but I would rather see a CDN in that spot.    And it looks like Ben Spencer is like a freakin zombie, he wont die, cant score, he wont go away, just keeps showing up at training camp after you cut him.  Lets just be done with this nebotism and let the young promising forwards we have fight it out at TFC2 for the TFC bench spots.  Akinola/Hundal etc should be getting the lions share of TFC2 striker minutes. 

9 hours ago, L.MODRIC said:

I think it won't be Cheyrou as he just finished his coaching courses and is new to the academy.I certainly wouldn't want a TFC 2 gig from the get go with no coaching experience 

we shall see 

Cheyrou has quite a pedigree in the game. He has played for and been a key contributor for some pretty big clubs.  I doubt that you put someone like that coaching, for example, 14 year olds.  

8 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Cheyrou has quite a pedigree in the game. He has played for and been a key contributor for some pretty big clubs.  I doubt that you put someone like that coaching, for example, 14 year olds.  

He also worked all last season with Terry Dunfield's U-14's plus he was in charge of the non-starting 11 who played the starters in training. It may not be him yet but I believe he'll turn out to be a superb coach and may in fact end up being Vanney's successor a few years down the road when he takes over the USMNT! :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/01/24/toronto-fc-re-sign-ben-spencer

They resigned him... now lets all complain about how they shouldn’t have!

Or we could just go to the Toronto FC facebook page where (at the time of writing), the comments are, literally, 100% negative about this re-signing from the fans. Granted, it's only 6 comments so far (and no, not from myself or any name I recognize), but it's still telling. It's not just the folks on this board that have an issue with this.......

Just now, Rheo said:

What does Manning do anyways? What is the role of the president? It is probably different from MLSE CEO that has actual decision making capacity like Friisdahl.

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Or we could just go to the Toronto FC facebook page where (at the time of writing), the comments are, literally, 100% negative about this re-signing from the fans. Granted, it's only 6 comments so far (and no, not from myself or any name I recognize), but it's still telling. It's not just the folks on this board that have an issue with this.......

I guess he sees something but what? Vanney is the guy though so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's tall so maybe he's our future Peter Crouch. ;)

1 minute ago, dbailey62 said:

I guess he sees something but what? Vanney is the guy though so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's tall so maybe he's our future Peter Crouch. ;)

We'll buy the Peter Crouch comparisons when he scores a goal (hell, just get a shot on target for that matter).

Archived