TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Yohan said:

Osorio having a strong game vs Rapids and a goal.

Thought he was the 2nd best player on the pitch after Giovinco. Auro also looked good. Altidore & Vazquez were poor by their standards but we can probably blame the extreme cold on that one. I thought either one would have been taken off much earlier than Altidore eventually was, especially after that 2nd goal.

Larson article indicating that Aketxe is pretty much as good as signed:

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-expected-to-sign-spanish-midfielder-ager-aketxe

I am still not sure that he just walks into the starting line up for TFC or if he does, that it will mean curtains for Osorio's playing time. TFC went with a 4-4-2 diamond again last night and it won't surprise me if they keep that formation. If so, based on their respective form since last year's playoffs began, it wouldn't surprise me if its Delgado who gets replaced from the starting line-up in favour of this guy (if that happens at all). He seems to play better and be more effective as a more central midfielder than a guy on the wing (he is still poor at crossing the ball, particularly when he has to curve it) and in a 4-4-2 he's not replacing either Vazquez or Bradley in the middle.

The Canadian who is likely to get the shaft from this is Chapman unless they start to ask him to play on the left or right of the diamond as cover. The shame here is that Chapman has consistently played well in the last two seasons when given the opportunity but like Hamilton, the fact that he's taken his opportunities well hasn't led to further opportunities.

37 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-expected-to-sign-spanish-midfielder-ager-aketxe

I am still not sure that he just walks into the starting line up for TFC or if he does, that it will mean curtains for Osorio's playing time. TFC went with a 4-4-2 diamond again last night and it won't surprise me if they keep that formation. If so, based on their respective form since last year's playoffs began, it wouldn't surprise me if its Delgado who gets replaced from the starting line-up in favour of this guy (if that happens at all). He seems to play better and be more effective as a more central midfielder than a guy on the wing (he is still poor at crossing the ball, particularly when he has to curve it) and in a 4-4-2 he's not replacing either Vazquez or Bradley in the middle.

The Canadian who is likely to get the shaft from this is Chapman unless they start to ask him to play on the left or right of the diamond as cover. The shame here is that Chapman has consistently played well in the last two seasons when given the opportunity but like Hamilton, the fact that he's taken his opportunities well hasn't led to further opportunities.

Hope Cristian Cueva is the next signing.... Especially now with the São Paulo connection with Auro... Hopefully next transfer window he is in, even in a loan basis...any chance to inform Betzbachenko on that one???? (Hahahaha)... And hope OSO keeps his spot in the starting line-up despite the signing, he's been amazing and like you said Chaps can get accommodated

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

They could also start VDW at right back and move Auro up the the right side of the diamond.  Lots of options, but I hope Oso stays in.  He sure looked good last night.

Strong performances by many players last night.  I really liked the finish by Osorio on the opening goal:  he moved smartly into space at the far post to get his opportunity.

The team had a good balance in midfield last night. It's interesting that some think that Delgado might be getting sent to the bench with the new international signings  but I feel that he and Osorio have good inter-play between them and complement each other well in their specific roles.  But the competition for starting spots behind Bradley and Vazquez will certainly hbheated and should make the team even better over the course of the season.

TFC looked really good for long spells and never looked too vulnerable at the back. yup, there's lots of ring rust, but what would you expect? Gio looks like he is determined to regain the MVP this year. That's my bold--and pretty safe--prediction for the year.  Osorio played well. I hope he can stay in the starting 11. If not, I hear the Impact are looking for Canadians. Hell, he might get more time with the Caps.

12 hours ago, The Beaver said:

TFC looked really good for long spells and never looked too vulnerable at the back. yup, there's lots of ring rust, but what would you expect? Gio looks like he is determined to regain the MVP this year. That's my bold--and pretty safe--prediction for the year.  Osorio played well. I hope he can stay in the starting 11. If not, I hear the Impact are looking for Canadians. Hell, he might get more time with the Caps.

I only got to see the highlights of the game, but that breakaway by Colorado that they blasted straight at Bono could definitely had changed the game had the Rapids player had any ounce of finishing ability in that particular moment.

12 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I only got to see the highlights of the game, but that breakaway by Colorado that they blasted straight at Bono could definitely had changed the game had the Rapids player had any ounce of finishing ability in that particular moment.

Frozen feet perhaps. Bono also did a great job of attacking the shooter forcing him into a decision a split second earlier than he'd probably anticipated. 

WOW, the midfield just gets more and more stacked.  I can see why Edwards is happy to be in Montreal, as it will be hard to get any starts for the CDN mids for TFC.  Good for TFC and MLS to be bringing in these kinds of players but bad news for the youngsters.  I guess Chapman/Fraser are going to have to spend alot of time at TFC2 to get minutes.  

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

WOW, the midfield just gets more and more stacked.  I can see why Edwards is happy to be in Montreal, as it will be hard to get any starts for the CDN mids for TFC.  Good for TFC and MLS to be bringing in these kinds of players but bad news for the youngsters.  I guess Chapman/Fraser are going to have to spend alot of time at TFC2 to get minutes.  

TFC II only have 14 players listed on their roster at the moment (going by the current TFC website) but of the players signed to first team deals, I expect that the 3rd string keeper they signed, Fraser and Akinola from the first team will see a lot of time with TFC II and hopefully Ben Spencer as well (in that I'd rather he spends time down there than with the 1st team). Same with Endoh if they are still trying to sign him, as Molinaro reports (honestly not sure what the hold up could be since he was already on the league minimum when they cut him). Not so sure about Chapman - I just watched the press conference introducing Aketxe and Vanney was talking about the team playing 4 central midfielders (ie. not the 3-5-2/5-3-2 with two wingbacks on either end) and that they wanted to get deeper in midfield because of the extra games they will have this year (they are 90 minutes away from adding two more games to their schedule this spring) so I think there will still be some opportunity for him, just not as much as I thought there would be previously. Injuries and stupid yellow cards of the sort that Bradley took in Colorado will also come into play here.

About 16 min into the press conference Vanney paid what hopefully isn't just lip service to the idea that these three signings they've made to complete the 18-man roster will be good for the young Canadians that they have in their roster & coming up through the system because they will be able to learn from them. Which is great as long you actually integrate them into the roster (I hope they are not thinking that the younger Canucks can just sit the whole season and then wheel them out in August for the Cdn. championship - and I suspect they are not that foolish to think so).

As for Aketxe, they basically said that he could play anywhere in the midfield, including the wings - the only role they didn't specify was the d-mid role. They seemed to compare him the most to Vazquez but emphasized the difference in that he is left footed while Victor is right-footed.

Archived