TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, dbailey62 said:

Regarding Endoh, I've always believed he has potential. He'll be inexpensive and depth is always good to have. 

I don't see it to be honest.  My guess is they haven't brought anyone else in so he may get a job because there is no one better?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't say he's been misused as he genuinely can't crack the 11 but if you'll recall, early in his first year when he was actually being played in a central attacking role, he showed he can play. Since then they've played him on the wing and he has struggled. 

I see him as a low cost project. 

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

I don't see it to be honest.  My guess is they haven't brought anyone else in so he may get a job because there is no one better?

That is likely why he is getting another shot - they may still think they need cover on a 3-5-2 on the right because of the loss of Beitashour. Which makes the Petrasso signing in Montreal annoying from the perspective of wanting to see Canucks on TFC

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

That is likely why he is getting another shot - they may still think they need cover on a 3-5-2 on the right because of the loss of Beitashour. Which makes the Petrasso signing in Montreal annoying from the perspective of wanting to see Canucks on TFC

Others will come. 

Our SuperDraft picks are in:

TRANSACTION: Toronto FC acquires $50,000 of TAM and second round pick (28th overall) from Minnesota United FC for first round pick (23rd overall). Toronto FC selected defender Tim Kübel (28th Overall) and goalkeeper Drew Shepherd (46th overall) in the second round of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft.

TIM KÜBEL

Position: Defender

Height: 5’9

Weight: 162

Birthdate: July 12, 1993

Hometown: Stuttgart, Germany

Nationality: German

Last Club: University of Louisville

How Acquired: Selected in the second round (28th Overall) in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft

DREW SHEPHERD

Position: Goalkeeper

Height: 6’3

Weight: 200

Birthdate: December 25, 1994

Hometown: Ann Arbour, Michigan

Nationality: American

Last Club: Western Michigan University

How Acquired: Selected in the second round (46th Overall) in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

That's the type of TAM/GAM signing I would expect from TFC, with probably a couple more coming...

If TFC gets another TAM level CB (preferably to play on the right of the three CBs), Van Der Wiel, and possibly a TAM level CM (Delgado's damn good, but could be upgraded on), then they're in brilliant shape for the CCL. 

On 1/19/2018 at 3:42 PM, Jith12 said:

Our SuperDraft picks are in:

TRANSACTION: Toronto FC acquires $50,000 of TAM and second round pick (28th overall) from Minnesota United FC for first round pick (23rd overall). Toronto FC selected defender Tim Kübel (28th Overall) and goalkeeper Drew Shepherd (46th overall) in the second round of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft.

TIM KÜBEL

Position: Defender

Height: 5’9

Weight: 162

Birthdate: July 12, 1993

Hometown: Stuttgart, Germany

Nationality: German

Last Club: University of Louisville

How Acquired: Selected in the second round (28th Overall) in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft

DREW SHEPHERD

Position: Goalkeeper

Height: 6’3

Weight: 200

Birthdate: December 25, 1994

Hometown: Ann Arbour, Michigan

Nationality: American

Last Club: Western Michigan University

How Acquired: Selected in the second round (46th Overall) in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft

The part i dont get about this league and that doesnt make sense to me is: what is the point of drafting college players who will take up an international slot when you can instead use TAM/GAM to stock the intl roster spot ?   Its a big world when it comes to soccer talent. Are there not a multitude of German defenders out there to be had (who actually have professional experience) instead of a 24 year German who is an amateur?  

I get the idea of the college draft in regards to filling up and stocking your needs for domestic talent and domestic slots (ie.: cnds and americans) on your roster because doemstic talent is harder to find and in more need of development.  

On TFC, Endoh is a drafted player who takes up an international slot.  A guy who figuratively runs with his head down.  Yes he works hard but he is not going be international quality.  

5 hours ago, Free kick said:

The part i dont get about this league and that doesnt make sense to me is: what is the point of drafting college players who will take up an international slot when you can instead use TAM/GAM to stock the intl roster spot ?   Its a big world when it comes to soccer talent. Are there not a multitude of German defenders out there to be had (who actually have professional experience) instead of a 24 year German who is an amateur?  

I actually raised this point back in 2008/09 before Americans were fully domestic and only 5 spots were reserved for them as domestics on CDN clubs. If you're TFC why don't you just trade your picks to American clubs for valuable assets and acquire proven veteran Americans? Of course trading your 1st rounder for Nathan Sturgis (2011) is a bad idea. Trading for Adrian Serioux (2010) is a good one.

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

I get the idea of the college draft in regards to filling up and stocking your needs for domestic talent and domestic slots (ie.: cnds and americans) on your roster because doemstic talent is harder to find and in more need of development.  

On TFC, Endoh is a drafted player who takes up an international slot.  A guy who figuratively runs with his head down.  Yes he works hard but he is not going be international quality.  

Because you might get a Jack Harrison or Julian Gressel, and they are cheaper on wages.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I actually raised this point back in 2008/09 before Americans were fully domestic and only 5 spots were reserved for them as domestics on CDN clubs. If you're TFC why don't you just trade your picks to American clubs for valuable assets and acquire proven veteran Americans? Of course trading your 1st rounder for Nathan Sturgis (2011) is a bad idea. Trading for Adrian Serioux (2010) is a good one.

In a similar but different way, this is exactly what Montreal did.   They added the likes of Petrasso and possibly ManrejkarJames to their domestic slots and they traded their two high picks for a total 350k in TAM.  Hence, streghtened their domestic quota with players of a more known quantity (because they are already from a professional environment) so now they could trade those picks for money that they could use to acquire international talent.   

There is a much higher ceiling and maybe less risk when it comes to the international pool.  So that extra money will yield the greatest return when its spent on intl players.  They had Piatti on non DP deal,  you are not going find that kind of player in the super draft.  Similarly,  you might find a Victor Vasquez or a Chris Mavinga with that extra TAM.  You wont get that in the superdraft.  Yes, there still very good value in draft but you could also get someone who will never play for you.

The super draft works best for expansion teams or newer teams.   Or teams that no depth what so ever in regards in domestic talent.   But i circle back to the original point of picking a foreign player (ie.: like LA did by picking Mutinho).  This one i dont get.  Mutinho is Portuguese and will take up AFAIK an intl spot. 

22 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Because you might get a Jack Harrison or Julian Gressel, and they are cheaper on wages.

So what you are saying is that Harrison, even though he plays for england,  will count as a domestic?  Because if thats the case, then i get it.  But i could have sworn that another drafted player, Tsubasa Endoh, was listed as an Int’l on the MLS or TFC pages. 

Edit.:  i just looked up Jack Harrison’s profile.  It just says “Generation Addidas”.  So what you are saying makes sence. And this suggests that they will count as domestic. 

4 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Off topic but anybody know what Serioux doing these days? 

56 minutes ago, Free kick said:

So what you are saying is that Harrison, even though he plays for england,  will count as a domestic?  Because if thats the case, then i get it.  But i could have sworn that another drafted player, Tsubasa Endoh, was listed as an Int’l on the MLS or TFC pages. 

Edit.:  i just looked up Jack Harrison’s profile.  It just says “Generation Addidas”.  So what you are saying makes sence. And this suggests that they will count as domestic. 

No, what I meant is that guys like Harrison and Gressel are int players from the draft, but these guys are starter quality players (well, turned out to be) and a team got them basically for free. They also tend to be cheaper on wages. (In Harrison's case, GA)

There has been influx of excellent int players with decent youth academy background that just couldn't make it to first team at 18, so they decide to get an education in US. 

Harrison was 1st overall in 2016, Gressel was 8th last year. So if you have a high pick it might be worth the gamble...

In TFC's case this year they picked up a FB (I assume because of his size he's a FB) who at best will be the backup LB (if he beats out Morgan) or 3rd RB after we sign Van der Wiel. So you draft a German guy turning 25 who might end up on TFC II...

https://www.tsn.ca/some-familiar-names-missing-as-tfc-open-training-camp-1.975183

According to this article here is the training camp roster (Chapman erroneously listed as a defender):

Toronto FC Training Camp Roster

Goalkeeper: Alex Bono, Clint Irwin, Drew Shepherd (draft pick), Angelo Cavalluzzo (TFC II).

Defenders: Jay Chapman, Nick Hagglund, Nicolas Hasler, Chris Mavinga, Drew Moor, Ashtone Morgan, Justin Morrow, Eriq Zavaleta, Julian Dunn (TFC II), Jelani Peters (TFC II), Rocco Romeo (TFC II), Tim Kubel (draft pick), Andre Morrison (draft pick), Ben White (draft pick), Dante Campbell (TFC III), Terique Mohammed (TFC academy).

Midfielders: Michael Bradley, Marco Delgado, Liam Fraser, Jonathan Osorio, Victor Vazquez, Aidan Daniels (TFC II), Malik Johnson (TFC II), Noble Okello (TFC II), Luca Uccello (TFC II), Luis Pereira (TFC II), Ryan Tefler (TFC II).

Forwards: Ayo Akinola, Jozy Altidore, Tsubasa Endoh (trialist), Sebastian Giovinco, Jordan Hamilton, Tosaint Ricketts, Ben Spencer (trialist), Shaun Hundal (TFC II).

The bad news is that according to a John Molinaro article, Spencer is "very likely" to re-sign with the club. So presumably they declined his contract to (a) toy with the emotions of TFC fans and (b) save themselves all of $10K since he wasn't above the league minimum by very much.

I thought this was interesting from the TSN article: "Vanney also revealed Jason Bent will no longer coach Toronto FC 2, instead helping with the first team. The club is expect to announce his TFC 2 replacement next week."

Hopefully another Canadian takes over TFC 2. 

25 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

I thought this was interesting from the TSN article: "Vanney also revealed Jason Bent will no longer coach Toronto FC 2, instead helping with the first team. The club is expect to announce his TFC 2 replacement next week."

Good to see that Bent is staying with the club. 

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

Im not sure that it will be a canadian?

I would have thought they would have promoted Danny Dichio or Terry Dunfield

Who knows maybe even Benoit Cheyrou gets the TFC 2 gig

Huge promotion for Jason Bent joining Vanney Staff as Jason is a great coach and even better person

Archived