TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

53 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Nothing to shoot at here (I thought this had been reported earlier on these boards, though maybe not). Lots of interesting stats that should make everyone feel good about what is happening with soccer in Toronto right now (unless you are also an Argos fan since some of the stats concerning them would sound very depressing). The fact that they are increasing capacity for soccer and decreasing capacity for the Argos probably tells you all you need to know in a nutshell about where things are at right now. I don't begrudge them for trying to get the Argo's emulate TFC's at-the-gate success  now that MLSE owns both.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Nothing to shoot at here (I thought this had been reported earlier on these boards, though maybe not).

Was tongue in cheek, more in reference to posting something with Argos references in it lol.  Didn't remember the seats being mentioned before but found some of the numbers in there really interesting.

2 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

I guess he sees something but what? Vanney is the guy though so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's tall so maybe he's our future Peter Crouch. ;)

That's not a fair comparison.  First, Crouch scores goals.  Second, he can do a very nice robot dance. 

PoisedBruisedClumber-max-1mb.gif 

13 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

I do recall him getting a nice assist in the south end last year so there may be some truth to that.

He does have decent ball control skills and passing technique, I will give him that. But he's lousy in the air (given his height), slow and can't finish (his one goal in his career with TFC II (or the big team for that matter) was an empty net tap in from a foot away from the the goal. His production at the TFC II level was and is just not enough to warrant a signing for the big team but he does have his "special relationship" with Vanney (as Caldwell described it last year during a TFC broadcast) in his favour. There's also the theory someone on Facebook (where the thread is now 13 for 13 in terms of negative comments) that he's being signed to specially lead up a new TFC IV club that will be announced (have to give credit on that one because it's rare that fb comments make me laugh audibly).

“We’ve gotten to a point where our demand has surpassed our supply – which is a good spot to be in,” Manning said of TFC, adding the club’s season ticket base will balloon to 24,500 this year.

“I say this humbly,” Manning continued, “TFC is hitting on all cylinders, across the board.”

So much so that TFC intends to keep the extra north-end seats it added for last year’s playoffs.

Additionally, Manning said he’s looking at options to expand BMO by as many as 5,000 seats.

I don't know guys, I'm not sure the GTA could support a second pro soccer team.

5 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

He does have decent ball control skills and passing technique, I will give him that. But he's lousy in the air (given his height), slow and can't finish (his one goal in his career with TFC II (or the big team for that matter) was an empty net tap in from a foot away from the the goal. His production at the TFC II level was and is just not enough to warrant a signing for the big team but he does have his "special relationship" with Vanney (as Caldwell described it last year during a TFC broadcast) in his favour. There's also the theory someone on Facebook (where the thread is now 13 for 13 in terms of negative comments) that he's being signed to specially lead up a new TFC IV club that will be announced (have to give credit on that one because it's rare that fb comments make me laugh audibly).

IV meaning four or intravenous? 

He looks awfully clumsy out there. Long legs I suppose ... like Crouch.

22 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

IV meaning four or intravenous? 

He looks awfully clumsy out there. Long legs I suppose ... like Crouch.

TFC Four. As in Spencer is so shit he's being signed as a fourth stringer...geez, way to kill the joke.

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

Was tongue in cheek, more in reference to posting something with Argos references in it lol.  Didn't remember the seats being mentioned before but found some of the numbers in there really interesting.

Yes, some good details. He had spoken about the north stand and the temp VIP boxes prior to this but space for 5k is new and wonderful!

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Nothing to shoot at here (I thought this had been reported earlier on these boards, though maybe not). Lots of interesting stats that should make everyone feel good about what is happening with soccer in Toronto right now (unless you are also an Argos fan since some of the stats concerning them would sound very depressing). The fact that they are increasing capacity for soccer and decreasing capacity for the Argos probably tells you all you need to know in a nutshell about where things are at right now. I don't begrudge them for trying to get the Argo's emulate TFC's at-the-gate success  now that MLSE owns both.

Yes. What I liked about that piece is that it set the record straight about the situation amongst the two sports/clubs.  And no one from that kind of position has done that publicly before.  

Toronto FC offering Argentinos Juniors $4.5 million for 19 year old midfielder Alexis Mac Allister; transfer would occur in June. The two clubs have done business before, with Matias Laba leaving Argentinos Juniors for TFC back in 2013, so don't count this one out. No idea how TFC would be able to get him given that he'd be above the TAM threshold and they have 3 DPs already, but it's interesting nonetheless. 

EDIT: Well...

Wow. Just shows that TFC is getting a reputation. I can’t see Van Der Wiel coming to the MLS unless he was impressed with their success and build as a team. They are built as a team that isn’t scared of spending and ambition. Guys like Altidore, Gio, Bradley, and even Vazquez definitely help. It shows that TFC wants guys at the top of their game (Even though Vazquez is a little past his prime).

53 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Bonkers. Even more so if Yanga Mbwia ends up in Montreal. While VWC cut some more off the budget. Might well be frugal and they aren't in the position to compete but man is it uninspiring in contrast.

It is kinda embarrassing when both TFC’s left and right back have more pedigree than nearly VWC’s entire team... but that is how soccer works in most countries. Some teams have money (Man U) and some teams try to find deals (Burnley)...

11 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

It is kinda embarrassing when both TFC’s left and right back have more pedigree than nearly VWC’s entire team... but that is how soccer works in most countries. Some teams have money (Man U) and some teams try to find deals (Burnley)...

Playing field isn't "set up" to be "equal" in other leagues like MLS. It's somewhat equal but not equitable. Rich always find loopholes to buy success. 

All that said the quality of players playing in Canada now is off the chart.

The problem with these kind of signings is that it going to become harder and harder for academy players to find a spot. 

Van der Weil started in all the games for Holland at the 2010 WC including the final against Spain.  He sat out one game due to suspension. 

I assume he is eligible for the Concacaf Champions League.  The gives TFC a great deal of depth.

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The problem with these kind of signings is that it going to become harder and harder for academy players to find a spot. 

Van der Weil started in all the games for Holland at the 2010 WC including the final against Spain.  He sat out one game due to suspension. 

Forget academy players, it'll be harder for Canadian Internationals to get into the lineup.

Archived