TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

For players coming through the academy there will be lots of MLS clubs who aren’t at the top tier of the league (assuming MLSE money allows TFC to stay there) that they will count as domestics for. We have seen 4 ex TFC academy/2 players move to other clubs this year (Henry, Petrasso, Edwards, and Kaye).

But thanks to the CSA (or Victor M. in particular) TFC will need to have a base of at least 6 starter-quality Canucks if they want to keep getting to the Champions league. And that is not a sarcastic thanks either. For that alone I think you will still see TFC play/develop some Canucks

True, but 3 of these players had to switch leagues, 2 went to Europe, and none of them play the normal DP positions. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a problem with the Canadian teams. It is because of the structure of the league and pyramid that players don’t develop. Hopefully the CPL will bring some improvements.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, to70 said:

Here is a recent Toronto Star article about TFC development

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2018/02/04/toronto-fc-not-standing-pat-despite-the-championship.html

Bezbatchenko, who has said he hopes to one day field a squad made up entirely of players from the Reds’ academy, is targeting sustainable success.

Yes.  I have heard the brass mention this on many occasions and in on different mediums.  I will take their word for it but thats what makes the interest in a guy like Quintero puzzling.  I support and agree with going after the kind of guys who have the kind of pedigree you wont find in in north american.  For example, Giovinco, Vanderweil, Vazquez and and a few others.   But the goal of an academy that has the kinds of resources, pool of talent and investment that TFC has, should (at the very least) be able to develop many players comparable to Quitero. 

On 2/10/2018 at 5:07 PM, Free kick said:

Yes.  I have heard the brass mention this on many occasions and in on different mediums.  I will take their word for it but thats what makes the interest in a guy like Quintero puzzling.  I support and agree with going after the kind of guys who have the kind of pedigree you wont find in in north american.  For example, Giovinco, Vanderweil, Vazquez and and a few others.   But the goal of an academy that has the kinds of resources, pool of talent and investment that TFC has, should (at the very least) be able to develop many players comparable to Quitero

Or at least guys like Edwards/Henry that they can trade/sell if they dont fit their plans.  

Article on Akinola, posting this here rather than in the Men's National team thread for obvious reasons:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/02/11/homegrown-standout-ayo-akinola-ready-take-next-step-toronto-fc

"Having excelled at the World Cup with the US last summer, Akinola chose to pursue the start of his career in Toronto.

“This is where I grew up, where my brother was born,” explained Akinola, who was born in Detroit before moving to Brampton, Ontario. “Family was a huge reason I wanted to stay, being around rather than being distant, not having that connection.  And I know everyone – the staff, the players – I can gel in quickly.”

Interesting that this feeling of loyalty to the home town doesn't apply yet to the home country.

This article explains that Hasler will move into the middle to help provide a replacement for Cheyrou:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/auro-tfc-toronto-fc-sao-paulo-brazil-mls-major-league-soccer-greg-vanney-nicolas-hasler/

I wasn't aware that Hasler was normally a central midfielder. If so, the roster seems more or less complete, barring one more back up CB. Hasler replaces Cheyrou in the middle as over for Bradley & with Chapman plays an increased role to replace Cooper, Fraser provides further cover and the two right-side signings replace Hasler and Beitashou on the right.

46 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

This article explains that Hasler will move into the middle to help provide a replacement for Cheyrou:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/auro-tfc-toronto-fc-sao-paulo-brazil-mls-major-league-soccer-greg-vanney-nicolas-hasler/

I wasn't aware that Hasler was normally a central midfielder. If so, the roster seems more or less complete, barring one more back up CB. Hasler replaces Cheyrou in the middle as over for Bradley & with Chapman plays an increased role to replace Cooper, Fraser provides further cover and the two right-side signings replace Hasler and Beitashou on the right.

This makes more sense than the talk of 4-4-2, which i assume was being played this pre-seaaon due to a lack of CB's.

I find it odd they are talking about Hasler as a back up for Bradley? Did Vanney say that, or are they just making an assumption? Seems like the latter.

Hasler is listed (on wiki fwiw) as an attacking midfielder. I expect him to be more of a complement to Vazquez and Bradley, rather than a replacement for either. Likely a more direct alternative to Vazquez, or an alternatve to Osorio/Delgado if they want to switch it up for a more attacking look. I think Hasler can / will provide more offensive than either. He doesn't strike me as a holding player.

31 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Auro made his pre-season debut today in a friendly against Cruz Azul. We won 4-1 with Seba and Jozy both scoring braces.

It always amazes me how short the grass is on some professional fields.  Its like playing on a golf green.  You can't really blame a bump in the field for being the reason why you skyed your shot over the net.  :)

6 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

It always amazes me how short the grass is on some professional fields.  Its like playing on a golf green.  You can't really blame a bump in the field for being the reason why you skyed your shot over the net.  :)

Putting on a green is hard enough. Let alone playing soccer!

Is Cooper still with TFC? thought they already announced he had gone?

In other news

http://canoe.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/hes-flying-toronto-fc-officially-adds-brazilian-fullback-auro-ahead-of-champions-league-opener/wcm/2a9d2d53-6add-4445-84e4-8ea9908890ba

So Van Der Wiel and his partner are expecting a child any day..... so basically if the baby is born in Canada, cap immediately. 

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

In other news

http://canoe.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/hes-flying-toronto-fc-officially-adds-brazilian-fullback-auro-ahead-of-champions-league-opener/wcm/2a9d2d53-6add-4445-84e4-8ea9908890ba

So Van Der Wiel and his partner are expecting a child any day..... so basically if the baby is born in Canada, cap immediately. 

Cooper is gone!

2 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Auro made his pre-season debut today in a friendly against Cruz Azul. We won 4-1 with Seba and Jozy both scoring braces.

Still no Ricketts for TFC (did not come on as a sub) and no Mavinga for this game either. Osorio was the only outfield player to go 90, other Canicks who saw action as subs were Hamilton, Chapman, Morgan, Okello and Dunn. Interesting that Okello is seeing more time than Fraser who was signed to the first team - Okello in fact replaced Bradley in this match

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Still no Ricketts for TFC (did not come on as a sub) and no Mavinga for this game either. Osorio was the only outfield player to go 90, other Canicks who saw action as subs were Hamilton, Chapman, Morgan, Okello and Dunn. Interesting that Okello is seeing more time than Fraser who was signed to the first team - Okello in fact replaced Bradley in this match

Wheeler, on one of those TFC online videos, said Ricketts is still out with his thyroid problem and is not training. 

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

In other news

Cooper signed with Universidad de Chile. One of the bigger clubs I believe.

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

In other news

And people say TFC isn’t helping the Canadian national team... they just have very long term goals.

TFC have reportedly signed attacking midfielder/winger Ager Aketxe from Atheltic Bilbao. 24 years old, was on loan at Cadiz in Segunda Division last year (5 G, 2 A), and has made 12 appearances for Bilbao this season.

Confirmed by Joshua Kloke of The Athletic:

And MLSSoccer.com's Sam Stejskal is saying that there's more TAM signings to come from TFC:

24-year-old attacking midfielder, out of favor this year but reportedly pretty well-rated. The gulf between the haves and have-nots in MLS is getting wider and wider.

In a league with a salary cap, its hard to complain about the haves and the have-nots.  You either have an owner that is willing to spend as much as they are allowed to or you don't.  Being stingy is not the same as being a have-not.

Archived