TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

17 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The problem with these kind of signings is that it going to become harder and harder for academy players to find a spot. 

Van der Weil started in all the games for Holland at the 2010 WC including the final against Spain.  He sat out one game due to suspension. 

I assume he is eligible for the Concacaf Champions League.  The gives TFC a great deal of depth.

Management did say they pretty much need two complete starting 11's to succeed both in the league and the CCL. It seems they are close achieving that lofty goal. I'm excited!

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dbailey62 said:

Management did say they pretty much need two complete starting 11's to succeed both in the league and the CCL. It seems they are close achieving that lofty goal. I'm excited!

They easily got the back line covered with that stated goal. 

RB - Vander weil/ Hassler

CB - More/Mavinga/Hagglund/Zavaletta

RB - Morrow / Morgan

At forward, i think you can craft two sets of forwards out of that group.   

At MF,  there would be a couple of spots to address.  With Cheyrou retired, you dont have cover for Bradley. I dont see a natural six anywhere else on that roster.  Then there is the loss of Edwards.  In this case, its not about positional depth that you have to address but rather a “unique skill” depth.  There are plenty of MF depth but none of the true winger variety on the left side.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

They easily got the back line covered with that stated goal. 

RB - Vander weil/ Hassler

CB - More/Mavinga/Hagglund/Zavaletta

RB - Morrow / Morgan

At forward, i think you can craft two sets of forwards out of that group.   

At MF,  there would be a couple of spots to address.  With Cheyrou retired, you dont have cover for Bradley. I dont see a natural six anywhere else on that roster.  Then there is the loss of Edwards.  In this case, its not about positional depth that you have to address but rather a “unique skill” depth.  There are plenty of MF depth but none of the true winger variety on the left side.

The Edwards loss is very painful and will continue to hurt us. Cheyrou's does too but we knew he was going to retire soon. 

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Then there is the loss of Edwards.  In this case, its not about positional depth that you have to address but rather a “unique skill” depth.  There are plenty of MF depth but none of the true winger variety on the left side.

That's where I thought they might have been using their TAM.  And still might.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/01/19/toronto-fc-sign-liam-fraser

i know its old news.  But i went back and checked the press release for the contract signing of Liam Fraser.  They do state:  

“Over that past two seasons with TFC II and during his time with our Academy, Liam has shown a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication, especially in his desire to learn the defensive midfield role at the next level,” said Toronto FC Sr. Vice President”.

This would suggest that he is the Cheyrou replacement and the cover for Bradley.  Smart move i think.  Bradley wants to play all the time and hence you are not going to find any good value for the money in trying to find someone established who will be willing to play so little.  Best to give it to an apprentice who will play on an entry level salary and learn and get the valuable experience.  There will likely be opportunities as late defensive  sub or in some Voyageurs cup matches. 

40 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

That's where I thought they might have been using their TAM.  And still might.

My concern is that if they use TAM to replace Edwards, then the net loss for Canada is even greater than impact of signing Vander weil.  Vanderweil is replacing Beitashor (non canadian for a non canadian).    Last year, the bulk of the Cnds were in MF.  Of the three, each filled a particular need but overall, they were more or less offensive minded midfielders.  Using TAM on another MF would mean that that guy will suck up the minutes. Unless that guy is a canadian international.  but i dont see a left sided canadian winger in europe right now.  I am hoping for another academy signing. 

38 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Rumour with a capital "R".

http://fulbox.com/2018/01/26/exclusiva-jozy-altidore-delantero-de-estados-unidos-seria-la-bomba-del-america-para-clausura-2018/

Club America may make an offer to MLS  for Jozy Altidore if their first choice target - Ramon Abila of Boca Jrs. - says no...

He did say that he wants to retire in Toronto. But then again Donovan has resurfaced in Mexico as well so you never know.

55 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

He did say that he wants to retire in Toronto. But then again Donovan has resurfaced in Mexico as well so you never know.

Totally different scenarios though of course. If Jozy wasn't happy here, maybehe would consider it but coming off the treble, the hero status, the legendary speech plus playing with Seba and Bradley, unless the money is absolutely overwhelming, I sincerely doubt he'd leave now. 

Maybe if TFC has a bad year, he'll think differently next January. 

21 hours ago, Free kick said:

My concern is that if they use TAM to replace Edwards, then the net loss for Canada is even greater than impact of signing Vander weil.  Vanderweil is replacing Beitashor (non canadian for a non canadian).    Last year, the bulk of the Cnds were in MF.  Of the three, each filled a particular need but overall, they were more or less offensive minded midfielders.  Using TAM on another MF would mean that that guy will suck up the minutes. Unless that guy is a canadian international.  but i dont see a left sided canadian winger in europe right now.  I am hoping for another academy signing. 

The reality is with the rate the MLS and Toronto FC in particular are growing the bar is getting that much higher. So unless there is a surge of Canadian talent coming up I don't expect many to make the starting lineup of TFC anymore.

10 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Not that it means much, but TFC won their first exhibition game 4-0 over some college team.  Three groups of 11 played 45 minutes each.  Goal scorers were Endoh, Hundal, Telfer and Johnson. 

Surprised that our first XI didn't score. They were clearly the strongest with the DP's and Vazquez. Means nothing but a nice way to start preseason.

If your good enough you will play and get minutes, Canadians play in the NBA on talent not on nationality, yes I know the MLS is not the NBA the best league in the world and it’s not even maybe top 10 which an argument can now be made that it is slowly is getting to top 10 in the world, anyways yes I know it’s not popular on these boards but if your Canadian and your good enough you will play. Osario started in the MLS Cup final because the coaching staff felt he was good enough to play and he played and served a purpose and they won. Hopefully with all the changes that have gone on in recent years in out Canadian youth soccer setup and with the three MLS academies and other private academies and the better run youth soccer club setups more Canadian players will be playing in the MLS in the next 20 years on merit not because they are Canadian.

9 hours ago, Ivan said:

Not that it means much, but TFC won their first exhibition game 4-0 over some college team.  Three groups of 11 played 45 minutes each.  Goal scorers were Endoh, Hundal, Telfer and Johnson. 

Keeping mind mind that Morrow, Delgado and Bono were with the US national team (who drew B&H 0-0 in LA - only Morrow played among the three TFC players, Bono didn't even dress), these were the groups of 11:

Group 1: Clint Irwin Drew Moor Chris Mavinga Nico Hasler Ashtone Morgan Victor Vazquez Michael Bradley Jonathan Osorio Jay Chapman Jozy Altidore Sebastian Giovinco (ie. the most 1st choice line-up they could put out there - who incidentally didn't score).

Group 2: Caleb Patterson Eriq Zavaleta Nick Hagglund Luis Periera Tim Kubel Tsubasa Endoh Liam Fraser Aidan Daniels Luca Uccello Ben Spencer Shaan Hundal (draft picks, trialists, most of the better TFC II players,  a few of first-teamers and the couch-sleeper (who deserves a special category of his own). Endoh and Hundal scored (the latter on a cross from Kubel).

Group 3: Angelo Cavalluzzo Rocco Romeo Julian Dunn Andre Morrison Ben White Dante Capmbell Noble Okello Malik Johnson Ryan Telfer Ayo Akinola Jordan Hamilton (3rd string or younger TFC II prospects and Jordan "He must have kicked Vanney's dog" Hamilton as he's the only player with first team experience relegated to the third group). Telfer and Malik Johnson with the goals.

Not sure if this was reported before but former coach of the France U17 national  team coach Laurent Guyot is the new TFCII head coach. Pozniak stays as assistant coach. Dichio remains TFC III coach, Cheyrou becomes the U17 team coach and Dunfield is also staying where he is as U14 coach.

No word on whether Guyot will be writing his players a letter, an email, an e-card or sending one of those Jib-Jab things. Personally my money is on either a telegram, morse code message or a tweet which provides a link to a video containing a message relayed using smoke signals.

47 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

No word on whether Guyot will be writing his players a letter, an email, an e-card or sending one of those Jib-Jab things. Personally my money is on either a telegram, morse code message or a tweet which provides a link to a video containing a message relayed using smoke signals.

Too funny!!

How about sending it in sign language "communicated" by this guy?

Archived