TFC off-season - 2017-2018

Gian-Luca

Unfortunately there is no google translation  available of this article on a trade between TFC and DC United:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/07/stejskal-analyzing-toronto-fc-and-dc-uniteds-tam-gam-trade

All this talk of GAM, TAM  and SPAM is reminding me of an old Sesame Street sketch about the "Golden AN" - put it in a tan van and give it to Fran, that's the plan (or was before the guy got caught and went to the can because he should have ran).

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't need a translation to know this is a bad move:

"Toronto's budget likely allows them to dip into the discretionary pool as needed to find their difference makers. They do need some GAM to help sign depth pieces, however. They can feel comfortable sending $337,500 of TAM – less than 10 percent of the $4 million likely available to them – to D.C. in exchange for $225,000 in GAM that, as Sportsnet’s John Molinaro noted, will probably help them bring back Tsubasa Endoh and Jason Hernandez."

20 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Unfortunately there is no google translation  available of this article on a trade between TFC and DC United:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/07/stejskal-analyzing-toronto-fc-and-dc-uniteds-tam-gam-trade

All this talk of GAM, TAM  and SPAM is reminding me of an old Sesame Street sketch about the "Golden AN" - put it in a tan van and give it to Fran, that's the plan (or was before the guy got caught and went to the can because he should have ran).

I was going to post the same thing when I first heard of this trade.   I am surprised the league got this far inspite of this huge lack of transparency.  Wouldn't it be nice to know how much TAM / GAM that each team has?  That way fans could now who is spending to their potential.  

When you acquire TAM,  how long is it good for?  These are still more questions.   

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

Playing Club America (currently 2nd in Liga MX) at noon ET today. Starting line-up:

Article on the match: 

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/02/07/vanney-looking-push-match-fitness-ahead-club-am-rica-friendly

Apparently right now it is 6-3 for Club America with a few minutes left. It was 3-3 at the end of the 2nd period (weird saying that for a soccer game). It doesn't sound like the teams have had much defensive rigour (either side) and TFC seems to be fading badly in the stretch with the altitude (unsurprisingly).

59 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Apparently right now it is 6-3 for Club America with a few minutes left. It was 3-3 at the end of the 2nd period (weird saying that for a soccer game). It doesn't sound like the teams have had much defensive rigour (either swith ide) and TFC seems to be fading badly in the stretch with the altitude (unsurprisingly).

6-3 loss to Club America. Goals by Altidore x2 and Giovinco. Don't think you're gonna get away playing Victor Vazquez, Jonathan Osorio and two strikers against that level of competition. Sounds like Van der Wiel had a rough outing as well. 

The last three America goals came after Chris Mavinga, Victor Vazquez, and Jozy Altidore came off for Nick Hagglund, Jay Chapman, and Jordan Hamilton, so this isn't a sign of CCL doom.

15 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

6-3 loss to Club America. Goals by Altidore x2 and Giovinco. Don't think you're gonna get away playing Victor Vazquez, Jonathan Osorio and two strikers against that level of competition. Sounds like Van der Wiel had a rough outing as well. 

The last three America goals came after Chris Mavinga, Victor Vazquez, and Jozy Altidore came off for Nick Hagglund, Jay Chapman, and Jordan Hamilton, so this isn't a sign of CCL doom.

Playing at altitude has to be taken into account too! Vazquez is not a concern. 

56 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Even if it was was the top line up for the whole game, I'm not sure I'd say that it was a sign of that anyway given that TFC's in pre-season mode and is playing these games specifically to get acclimatized and better prepared from the experience. I'm surprised TFC managed to score 3, to be honest. I understand TFC was leading 2-0, then 3-2 which means the team collectively gave up 6 of the last 7 goals of the game, which is why it seems the team faded badly in the heat/altitude of mid-day Mexico.

As for Van Der Wiel, it might be expected that he'd struggle more than anyone given its his first game.

Vanney's comments post-match. Most interesting thing for me - this was essentially a 1st-team match for TFC (except still no Ricketts but 17 year old Canadian Noble Okello was used as one of the subs. I am guessing he must have had a positive camp so far.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/02/08/quote-sheet-head-coach-greg-vanney-club-am-rica-friendly

7 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Sounds like Van der Wiel had a rough outing as well. 

Doesnt sound that way if we go by Vanney’s post game comments. 

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/02/08/quote-sheet-head-coach-greg-vanney-club-am-rica-friendly

Vanney: “He looked very comfortable within the group and showed that he’s a very good player on both sides of the ball. He had some great attacking moves and covered well defensively; he’s a high-level player. He pushed through 90 minutes, which I know wasn’t easy, but he did a good job getting through and being solid. I’m pleased with where he is physically, now it’s about getting used to his teammates, but we’re very happy with his first outing.”

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Quintero has scored 67 goals in 284 games over 9 seasons in Liga MX. Impact fans may remember him causing havoc as a sub in the CCL away leg vs. Santos Laguna.

While this is so, 50 of those were scored in his 187 games with Santos Laguna. In the 97 games he has since played for Club America, he has only 17.  

He actually scored against TFC this week - the 5th goal in that 6-3 win by Club America. Nice shot, although he is gifted the chance by a brutal/atypical no-doubt-altitude-infused giveaway by Michael Bradley.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/08/rumor-toronto-fc-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-interested-darwin-quintero

If this guy is a striker and TFC is trying to pay 5 million for him, I'm assuming it's not so that he can sit on the bench. Not sure who's spot he'd be taking though (Giovinco or Altidore?), which makes me wonder if TFC is actually interested as the rumour suggests or its only because they played them that TFC's name is being thrown into the mix.

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

He actually scored against TFC this week - the 5th goal in that 6-3 win by Club America. Nice shot, although he is gifted the chance by a brutal/atypical no-doubt-altitude-infused giveaway by Michael Bradley.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/08/rumor-toronto-fc-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-interested-darwin-quintero

If this guy is a striker and TFC is trying to pay 5 million for him, I'm assuming it's not so that he can sit on the bench. Not sure who's spot he'd be taking though (Giovinco or Altidore?), which makes me wonder if TFC is actually interested as the rumour suggests or its only because they played them that TFC's name is being thrown into the mix.

I figure he's a TAM guy. Only 17 goals in 97 appearances doesn't make him worth that kind of money or transfer. Yes, he is a striker. He'd be our third attacking option off the bench competing with Ricketts. Good depth though.  

Totera retweeted a supporters group report that Mariano Mino has left his team IA Sud America (Uruguay as I just learned) and put on instagram that he's with TFC in Mexico training.  Supporters group tweets says he's under contract still.  Totera mentioned a player of similar profile last month.  

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mariano-mino/profil/spieler/538092

9 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Fox Sports Mexico, a very reliable source, is reporting Club America has come to terms with both the Caps and TFC regarding Darwin Quintero. The player is now in contract negotiations with both sides and will make the ultimate decision. 

Hope this is not true (wrt TFC). Quintero is lazy, his skills have diminished and his teammates can't stand him. 

47 minutes ago, Prune_55 said:

Hope this is not true (wrt TFC). Quintero is lazy, his skills have diminished and his teammates can't stand him. 

Only 17 goals in 97 appearances. If we are after a scorer, I don't know if he's it but I know little of him apart from the red card vs TFC some years back. Could he be a back-up #9 behind Vazquez? Can he be a playmaker?

17 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

Only 17 goals in 97 appearances. If we are after a scorer, I don't know if he's it but I know little of him apart from the red card vs TFC some years back. Could he be a back-up #9 behind Vazquez? Can he be a playmaker?

Yeah that would be nice as I think the team is more likely in need of another midfield to help replace Cheyrou & Cooper than they are in need of another striker

Archived