Whitecaps Off Season 2017-2018

TRM

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm not convinced Robbo or the management have very sound Moneyball strategies.  I'm boldly predicting right now that we'll see some significant non-injury related player moves in the summer window.

If we keep Parker I think we're a playoff team. Don't see that many teams in the West that I'm afraid will outplay us at home.  Would be a different story if we were in the East. 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was going to say one single word, but instead will write a whole sentence, with subordinate clauses even, just to calm down.

But who on DC or the Impact is a Justin Meram like player? And does this mean that Edgar looks close to signing? I see he played the other night, but not Doneil. I am just going to keep typing until I calm down too.

Just now, The Beaver said:

But who on DC or the Impact is a Justin Meram like player? And does this mean that Edgar looks close to signing? I see he played the other night, but not Doneil.

We aren't looking for a player, but 1.2 million in TAM...which is what Meram went for. There isn't a nonDP player on DC or Montreal I'd trade for Parker.

If we trade away Parker there's no way we don't go out and get a DP/highTAM CB.

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

But who on DC or the Impact is a Justin Meram like player? And does this mean that Edgar looks close to signing? I see he played the other night, but not Doneil. I am just going to keep typing until I calm down too.

Henry was nursing a hammie strain.

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

We aren't looking for a player, but 1.2 million in TAM...which is what Meram went for. There isn't a nonDP player on DC or Montreal I'd trade for Parker.

Ah, that makes sense. Misread the earlier post. 

I don't think he's worth the terms he has supposedly turned down but I'd be more inclined to move him if the club had a clear number three CB waiting in wings.  But as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm uneasy about the current replacements.

4 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

At first, it seems like a lateral move but perhaps the significant increase in TAM Garber bucks makes that better on the salary cap then paying Parker a big cap hit contract, unless you are prepared to DP him.

Going out to get such a player as a replacement adds one more continuity issue to a club with a significant number of new faces, regardless of the new guy's pedigree.  Is it going to be worth it for this particular season? 

I hope this results in Edgar signing back on.

Him, Henry and Waston would be adequate if the two Canadians were not dealing with injuries and Kendell was not going to the World Cup with Costa Rica...

Not looking great on the backline without Parker I am afraid. 

The only consolation I can give Caps fans is that Seattle just lost 2-1 to Santa Tecla. 

It's not much, but at least it makes me happy to see them lose.

Those numbers are high if true. For one, because Waston makes 350k. So that would put him on the same level, when Waston is more experienced, plays for a WC team, and is and has been the "leader" of the defense and team captain. If you pay Parker 1.35 over three years, you have to raise Waston's salary too (EDIT, just read he signed an extension last week). Which may not be a bad thing. 

I am impressed by the Whitecaps if they really offered him that kind of money, I take back what I said about them. Good for them. If he still wants to leave after that offer, then yes, you can let him go with a clearer conscience. But I would much prefer them both, because they are two of the most important pieces on the team and the continuity would be excellent all around.

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I would think there are literally hundreds of better CBs in the world ready to play here for $450k+ US.

The Impact need another CB and I would be happy if we traded for him but not if the salary numbers demanded in the article are correct. For those numbers we could get someone better on the open market

28 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

The Impact need another CB and I would be happy if we traded for him but not if the salary numbers demanded in the article are correct. For those numbers we could get someone better on the open market

And in doing so not having to give up any assets to acquire the player.

Archived