Whitecaps Off Season 2017-2018

TRM

11 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Every year Robbo has been in charge the whitecaps lack creativity going forward. They just smash it up the field and hope for a speedy forward to somehow win the ball and then maybe score on a set piece.

It's a bit more nuanced than that....but we cant even do that right now. Kamara's been the only attacking player that looks good all camp. 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

It's a bit more nuanced than that....but we cant even do that right now. Kamara's been the only attacking player that looks good all camp. 

Reyna had some moments yesterday that reminded me what he is capable of doing. He actually held the ball and tried to link up with short passes and control the game a bit more. He's still a bit rusty, and likely not fully fit yet, but the real issue is that nobody around him seems to know how to play at this level.  This is why I am curious to see how he and Juarez link up in the midfield, with Kamara up top.  Techera, too, on one wing.  At least with those 4 guys you've got some soccer brains who know how to link up, hold the ball, move into space and MAYBE create some real chances.  Still feel we need a proper creative mid sitting behind Reyna though.

4 hours ago, saladroit said:

Caps are opening up the entire lower bowl for the season opener versus Montreal on March 4th. So probably a crowd of 25k-27k.

This story served to remind me that we're just two weeks away from the start of the season and we haven't made a DP addition despite having 2 open slots. The clock is ticking..

The clock does not tick at Whitecaps. In all serious clubs you sign players in the offseason and preseason, prepare what you want to do with them, and try to make those players work by the time season starts. Or a few games into the season. You have an idea of what your team is going to be. 

Since Robbo prepares so badly and haphazardly, he'll just change players to cover his own coaching defects, you can pretty well sign anyone at any time. All of MLS is a bit like this, but the better teams have a core and build on it. Whitecaps is a bit of a crapshoot under Robinson.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The clock does not tick at Whitecaps. In all serious clubs you sign players in the offseason and preseason, prepare what you want to do with them, and try to make those players work by the time season starts. Or a few games into the season. You have an idea of what your team is going to be. 

Since Robbo prepares so badly and haphazardly, he'll just change players to cover his own coaching defects, you can pretty well sign anyone at any time. All of MLS is a bit like this, but the better teams have a core and build on it. Whitecaps is a bit of a crapshoot under Robinson.

I mean to be fair, Robbo got a great deal of his moves (Juarez, Blondell, Kamara) done before preseason started, unlike last year. It's just that the Caps haven't made a DP addition yet that worries me.

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Another season of throwing a handful of spaghetti at the wall and then seeing what sticks.  If it is another up and down first half of the season, more players will be moved during the summer window, "the lads will need time to gel," etc. 

The one positive for me is that they are definitely in an under-promise/over-deliver situation.  Hopefully for the fans, this will be the case.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Another season of throwing a handful of spaghetti at the wall and then seeing what sticks.  If it is another up and down first half of the season, more players will be moved during the summer window, "the lads will need time to gel," etc. 

The one positive for me is that they are definitely in an under-promise/over-deliver situation.  Hopefully for the fans, this will be the case.

I love the metaphor, BearcatSA, but I was taught to toss the pasta at the fridge door. That was back before kitchen magnets. Incredible how times are changing. 

Incredible too how you have these owners who strive for excellence in their "real" businesses, but when it comes to the Whitecaps, well it is just a plaything. It's a retirement toy, a menagerie. Starting with having Lenarduzzi there, like an adornment, he's like an ad for a Canadian eligible bachelor website.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Incredible too how you have these owners who strive for excellence in their "real" businesses, but when it comes to the Whitecaps, well it is just a plaything. It's a retirement toy, a menagerie. Starting with having Lenarduzzi there, like an adornment, he's like an ad for a Canadian eligible bachelor website.

Quite right, Trialist. While I in absolutely no way draw any qualitative comparison between Lenarduzzi and Sir Alex Ferguson, even Sir Alex  moved on from Manchester United. 

Good day, Jeffrey.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I love the metaphor, BearcatSA, but I was taught to toss the pasta at the fridge door. That was back before kitchen magnets. Incredible how times are changing. 

Incredible too how you have these owners who strive for excellence in their "real" businesses, but when it comes to the Whitecaps, well it is just a tax write off. It's a retirement toy, a menagerie. Starting with having Lenarduzzi there, like an adornment, he's like an ad for a Canadian eligible bachelor website.

FYP, though obviously I'm just spitballing with that one and other posters here will totally disagree, point out why I am wrong, and I'll have to concede my point.  But still....

Robbo and I have the same problem:  we are both looking for a magic bullet solution.  We differ in that he is looking for that special player (or couple of players) to take the team to the top while I think that the change needs to be made with him or with the person/people above him overseeing the whole situation.  This is year five:  I don't see a rising road (or even the potential for a rising road) on the graph, but rather it looks more like an abnormal ECG (a flat line with spikes up and down).

They seem to market their product well.  They could probably do a great job of selling ice to the Inuit (heck, they may even have plans to set up a Whitecaps academy in Iqaluit).  I just don't get a sense of anticipation with this team.  It's like watching the Canucks from the mid 70s.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:57 PM, saladroit said:

Caps beat Japanese 5th division side Iwaki FC 1-0. Goal from Techera in the 90th minute on a PK drawn by Kei Kamara (who was quite impressive).

Mark Bloom put in, preseason or otherwise, one of the worst performances I've seen in awhile. Fiddes was invisible, except when he made horrible passes. Teibert was decent, as was Norman Jr. Blondell was quiet and completely blew the one chance he had. Best players were Kamara, Juarez, and Techera.

I see that he's now gone from the club.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I see that he's now gone from the club.

Shea might have been part be the piece holding up the Mollo signing. For a guy who hates the rain and cold, this spell in YVR being a part-time contributor must be a nightmare come true. My guess is he'll somehow join Harvey in LA before too long, hopefully freeing up the logjam transaction and winger-wise.

Mollo might still be lingering in town but it seems quite dead a proposition overall: https://www.google.ca/amp/theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/yohan-mollos-whitecaps-look-see-is-over/amp

13 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

The music, sound effects, and announcing during the game was so freaking gimmicky. The Lights are deffinately a joke of a team... If i was the USL I would not want them in the league. They make the whole league look bad.

They are an expansion team and I thought the playing surface was a factor in the overall quality of play for both teams.

Caps draw 4-4 with LAFC. Decent result considering that we were missing all of the guys who played yesterday (Marinovic, Waston, Parker, Juarez, Kamara, Davies, Techera, etc), Ghazal got injured, and by the end of the match the oldest player on the pitch for us was Rowe at 29.

EDIT:

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:06 AM, The Beaver said:

I'd heard that a few guys had small injuries. Reyna is with the team. I suspect Levis and Edgar are being extra careful since they are coming back from massive injuries. Hope to see both of them out there this year.

Edgar finally made his appearance in the latter stages of the LV match but that baseball field-turned-pitch didn't look particularly forgiving for a guy coming back from his type of injury.  Levis apparently travelled to UCLA but then wasn't on the subs bench.  Fiddes started at LB, turned an ankle and then was replaced by the other draft pick, Stauffer.  Franklin would be a good guy to keep as veteran RB depth (as long as the price is right) but you have to wonder if the club might bring in another left sided vet to compete and/or cover for De Jong before the regular season begins. 

I see young Canadian Jake Ruby got substantial time in the back line as Henry's injury replacement.  Hopefully Henry's hamstring pull is just a minor one.

Former VWCII player Danny Barbir has moved to AFC Astra in the Romanian top division on a free transfer. 

In other news,  Robbo just said that we probably won't see much back three this year because "we have players in other positions we need to get on the field". Wasn't happy with how Las Vegas Lights "made a show" of their friendly. 

Archived