Whitecaps Off Season 2017-2018

TRM

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

Caps opening preseason with a 4-0 victory over J League side Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo.

Goals from Parker (x2), Kamara, and Ibini. Assists from Techera, Mezquida, Shea, and Davies.

Worth mentioning 15 year old Whitecaps Residency player Simon Colyn had a part in Ibini's goal. One to watch.

I see that MLS vets familiar to fans, Mark Bloom from his TFC days and Sean Franklin from his time at the Galaxy and DC United, featured in this match, seemingly both sharing the RB spot.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kamara really seems like the big presence in the box that Vancouver needed. Montero was good, but he wasn’t physical enough for the MLS. The caps thrive on balls into the box, and rely on the striker holding up the play a lot. He seems like our guy for that. 

If Kamara is able to control the box and Davies has a step up this year i think the Caps could be pretty good going forwards. If the midfield can get them the ball that is...

TFC possibly bidding too. Whitecaps have been linked for a few years so might just have his discovery rights. Money reported seems high for a 30 year old forward that doesn't score alot. Assist record is better but also not earth shattering. 

That said he more of a 2nd striker/wide forward. Would likely be an upgrade on Hurtado and Ibini but not convinced it' what we need. Creative number 10 and deep lying playmaker is more important imo. 

Caps beat Japanese 5th division side Iwaki FC 1-0. Goal from Techera in the 90th minute on a PK drawn by Kei Kamara (who was quite impressive).

Mark Bloom put in, preseason or otherwise, one of the worst performances I've seen in awhile. Fiddes was invisible, except when he made horrible passes. Teibert was decent, as was Norman Jr. Blondell was quiet and completely blew the one chance he had. Best players were Kamara, Juarez, and Techera.

9 minutes ago, saladroit said:

Caps beat Japanese 5th division side Iwaki FC 1-0. Goal from Techera in the 90th minute on a PK drawn by Kei Kamara (who was quite impressive).

Mark Bloom put in, preseason or otherwise, one of the worst performances I've seen in awhile. Fiddes was invisible, except when he made horrible passes. Teibert was decent, as was Norman Jr. Blondell was quiet and completely blew the one chance he had. Best players were Kamara, Juarez, and Techera.

Kamara, Techera, Marinovic, Nerwinski pretty much the only positives.

As you said Bloom was a disaster, everyone else was somewhere between bad and average. The midfields both sides of half lost the ball way too much. Thank god for our CBs and GK.

Unacceptable against this level of competition. 

19 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Kamara, Techera, Marinovic, Nerwinski pretty much the only positives.

As you said Bloom was a disaster, everyone else was somewhere between bad and average. The midfields both sides of half lost the ball way too much. Thank god for our CBs and GK.

Unacceptable against this level of competition. 

Just bizarre how poor the Caps were, considering the opponent. Even more so because just two days ago, they beat a first division side 4-0. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come, and that it's just preseason rust

Preseason rust or not, it is evident that we desperately need to add a DP calibre, quality midfielder. Mutch would be a decent TAM player, but he's not the calibre and type of midfielder I'd want.

13 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Fox Sports Mexico, a very reliable source, is reporting Club America has come to terms with both the Caps and TFC regarding Darwin Quintero. The player is now in contract negotiations with both sides and will make the ultimate decision. 

Club America's president has confirmed that there are "a couple offers from MLS" for Quintero.  Even though some reporters have shot down the possibility that Vancouver's in for Quintero, I'm gonna choose to believe Club America's president. 

EDIT: Well, now there's this from ESPNFC's Eric Gomez:

18 hours ago, saladroit said:

Just bizarre how poor the Caps were, considering the opponent. Even more so because just two days ago, they beat a first division side 4-0. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come, and that it's just preseason rust

Preseason rust or not, it is evident that we desperately need to add a DP calibre, quality midfielder. Mutch would be a decent TAM player, but he's not the calibre and type of midfielder I'd want.

Robbo has been deliberately running the guys ragged before these matches--and all week long--so I am not sure I'd put too much weight on the performance last night. His main concern at this point is fitness. Having said that, it would also be nice to see the guys start developing some chemistry. Davies had a few nice moments, but was sloppy otherwise. (And he got knocked off the ball a couple times by guys he'd normally outmuscle. Seemed tired to me.)

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

Davies had a few nice moments, but was sloppy otherwise.

I mean, that's been more or less Davies entire Caps career (his nutmeg and cross yesterday was great, but was followed by five or so turnovers in transition). Need to hope this is the season he cuts out the turnovers and develops the end product. I noticed he's been picking his head up more often on the ball recently, which should lead to better awareness once he gets comfortable.

2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Robbo has been deliberately running the guys ragged before these matches--and all week long

Yeah caught that in his post match interview. Seems he wants them to be tired for the match as that makes them think more. From his point of view it was a great game, from the spectator obviously not. 

When all is said and done we are as usual over analyzing everything in an early pre-season game, where you deserve to be frustrated if you are nitpicking. Can the season get here already so we can over analyze and bitch about that instead!

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Why isn't Reyna playing?  He's in Hawaii and not Peru, right?

I see also that Levis hasn't seen any minutes yet.

I'd heard that a few guys had small injuries. Reyna is with the team. I suspect Levis and Edgar are being extra careful since they are coming back from massive injuries. Hope to see both of them out there this year.

22 hours ago, The Beaver said:

I'd heard that a few guys had small injuries. Reyna is with the team. I suspect Levis and Edgar are being extra careful since they are coming back from massive injuries. Hope to see both of them out there this year.

The injuries are under-reported by the club and it seems like the Vancouver media has no one over there covering the camp.  A lot of under-promise and (hopefully) over-deliver seems to be in the game plan.  Not a bad thing.  

Without a contract as an insurance policy, I think the odds are pretty long that Edgar sticks.  If he's still not healthy, I can't see the club sticking with him.  Levis apparently had a successful stint with the Whitecaps 2 side in USL in the latter half of last season, including playing a number of matches on field turf, and the Caps media guy hasn't  tweeted any injury stuff about him, so I don't know what his situation is.  He didn't feature in any of the three Hawaii matches.  Maybe his future this year will be as a loan to Fresno?

34 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Brek Shea has been bought down from a DP to a TAM player. I'm hearing that he didn't take a pay cut, but worked with the team to restructure his deal. Only makes sense for the Caps if they plan on filling that DP spot...which seems imminent.

I guess this is the best they could do to finally get out of the Barnes' deal which started this in the first place.  So that's see who they sign as a DP.

Caps lose 1-0 to Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo in the Pacific Rim Cup final. Pretty sure the goal was offside, but let that not detract from the fact that the Caps were worthless in the attack. Unless they bring in a DP creative attacker, I think we're in for more boring and sluggish soccer

9 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Curious to see how Reyna and Juarez link up. If they can find some chemistry then we might be okay in the middle. Still, a proper DP creative mid would be huge.

Reyna is best as a second forward or out wide, and is a finisher of chances more than a creator, at least in my opinion. He got a few assists last year, but I don't think he's the creative hub of this team; we've severely lacked one for quite sometime

Juarez and Ghazal are solid, as is the whole backline. But I see us having difficulty generating enough offensive opportunities to be a contender

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

Caps lose 1-0 to Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo in the Pacific Rim Cup final. Pretty sure the goal was offside, but let that not detract from the fact that the Caps were worthless in the attack. Unless they bring in a DP creative attacker, I think we're in for more boring and sluggish soccer

I'm starting to buy into the idea of a DP winger. We've done nothing on either wing all preseason.

11 hours ago, saladroit said:

Every year Robbo has been in charge the whitecaps lack creativity going forward. They just smash it up the field and hope for a speedy forward to somehow win the ball and then maybe score on a set piece.

Archived