Whitecaps Off Season 2017-2018

TRM

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on topic. Bit of a surprise to see Jacobson retire early. All the best to him and his family though. 

Would have had limited minutes with Tchani, Ghazal and Juarez, possible a Laba return too. 

Robinson says 2 more but I would still like a RB, AM and Winger. Guess we shall see what the draft brings too. 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:07 PM, Big_M said:

Kinda of a Chris Pozniak:  jack of all trades, master of none.  Would rather see a Cancon journeyman brought in from elsewhere to fill his squad spot.

Was perfect for his role. Good in the dressing room, reliable on the pitch when called on in a variety of roles and didn't kick up a fuss when not played. 

Better players in the team and that the club can bring in? Yes, but every team need contributors accepting of their position and role in the squad. 

Worthy of thanks and best wishes. 

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

Was perfect for his role. Good in the dressing room, reliable on the pitch when called on in a variety of roles and didn't kick up a fuss when not played. 

Better players in the team and that the club can bring in? Yes, but every team need contributors accepting of their position and role in the squad. 

Worthy of thanks and best wishes. 

A good character guy for a team, no doubt, and he did a good job in his role with the club and deserves thanks.  Though maybe he's not the best example with which to make my point, I still would  like to see more journeyman jobs available to experienced Cancon guys.  I might be starting a tire fire here, but I could reasonably argue that a guy like Ledgerwood could probably have filled a similar role.

I get the sentiment but that's nice if the shoe fits. I think the CSA should also hold the club's a bit more accountable in that regard maybe (if they can).

Jacobsen like you say probably isn't the best example as there wasn't anyone with the needed height and experience that was Canadian. They did as you say with Edgar, DeJong and now Henry. Tfc with Johnson, Issey and Ricketts. Maybe not nearly enough but as I posted similarly in another topic it comes down to the need for results vs doing the right thing for the Canadian game. 

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I get the sentiment but that's nice if the shoe fits. I think the CSA should also hold the club's a bit more accountable in that regard maybe (if they can).

Jacobsen like you say probably isn't the best example as there wasn't anyone with the needed height and experience that was Canadian. They did as you say with Edgar, DeJong and now Henry. Tfc with Johnson, Issey and Ricketts. Maybe not nearly enough but as I posted similarly in another topic it comes down to the need for results vs doing the right thing for the Canadian game. 

I think the Caps will be doing more of this when building Cancon requirements for their rosters. I think this is a good thing.  I can continue to see their academy developed players mainly being more like "cup of coffee" types (as the old phrase for career minor league hockey players who had very brief call ups to the NHL were called back in the day).  Norman replaces McKendry for a couple of seasons, who then gets replaced by someone, and so on.

The USL affiliates and then second teams should have helped with this. The problem is even when they have lit it up there in the case of Bustos they haven't been given the opportunities in the main team. Either the playing gap is still too wide or the pressure is too high on the manager. 

Interesting to see where the CPL fits into this. I think it might force a bit of a change in MLS clubs. From one side the MLS sides might like loaning some to CPL teams to get game time and experience but if they don't get opportunities in the MLS when they come back and the CPL works the MLS academies could soon be doing the CPL's recruiting work for them. Either way it should help Canadian growth. 

That said the above is an over generalization and being a bit harsh on the MLS teams. All the Canadian MLS teams have had young Canadians come through, get game time and establish themselves. Given the previous and possible current gap in standard between the average young Canadian and the average MLS starter (increasingly from outside N.America) it is hard to get those young players caught up to a place they can be trusted to start or even perform. The premier league has a huge problem with most clubs unless you are exceptionally talented it is really only through some of the smaller un-fancied promoted teams and the Championship or league 1 that young English players get a break. 

CPL couldn't come soon enough, unless its not ready, then give it another 60-90 days.

My thoughts on the offseason thus far: generally, we've upgraded and it's been decent. I like the Juarez acquisition in particular, and it seems like the personnel we have will allow us to play in a variety of team shapes, something that we lacked the ability to do last year. I feel that we need to add a DP attacker before the season starts, though. Our opponents in the Western Conference are stepping up their game this offseason, especially the Galaxy. 

Definitely lots of options. Need another RB and a creative central/attacking mid. 

There are lots of options without both but really we need a step up in quality in those areas. 

RB: we have Juarez, although he doesn't want to play there. Henry, not convinced but if we are desperate. The two draftees if they are good enough. Nerwinski did great last year but id like an experienced step up to push him.

AM: options aren't terrible mezquida, Davies maybe and Reyna played well there. 

Creative central mid: probably where we are really lacking. Juarez? Not sure yet. Tchani nope, ghazal nope. would be nice to see Tiebert be given that freedom. No real deep lying playmaker though. 

On 1/24/2018 at 10:46 PM, saladroit said:

My thoughts on the offseason thus far: generally, we've upgraded and it's been decent. I like the Juarez acquisition in particular, and it seems like the personnel we have will allow us to play in a variety of team shapes, something that we lacked the ability to do last year. I feel that we need to add a DP attacker before the season starts, though. Our opponents in the Western Conference are stepping up their game this offseason, especially the Galaxy. 

I'm not sure I agree.

Out: Montero, Bolanos, Laba, Nosa, Harvey, Ousted, Jacobson, McKendry

In: Kamara, Blondell, Juarez, Bevan, Henry, Rowe, Norman and the new Draft Picks

I'm not sure I consider that an upgrade. Plus, when you consider that each team has significantly more TAM that they are able to spend, I would argue that it has not been spent wisely. Or more importantly, is the discretionary TAM being spent at all?

23 hours ago, masster said:

I'm not sure I agree.

Out: Montero, Bolanos, Laba, Nosa, Harvey, Ousted, Jacobson, McKendry

In: Kamara, Blondell, Juarez, Bevan, Henry, Rowe, Norman and the new Draft Picks

I'm not sure I consider that an upgrade. Plus, when you consider that each team has significantly more TAM that they are able to spend, I would argue that it has not been spent wisely. Or more importantly, is the discretionary TAM being spent at all?

Yeah, I do not see the Caps changes as an upgrade per se. We have gotten younger and fresher, and I think we've better pieces for the tactics Robbo will employ, but we needed to keep a guy like Nosa or sign a guy like Nosa for me to feel that we are in a better place than we were last year in terms of personnel. As for TAM, I get the feeling that the extra TAM has not been spent, but I could be wrong.

If Robbo has improved this team--and only time will tell--then it will be because he brought in pieces that better suit the style he wants this team to play. It is a young and athletic side, which means if they play smart defensively they should always be tough to play against. Lots of IFs there. Sure wish they'd signed Nosa. 

3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Decent signing but a bit underwhelming if he is a DP. Starter in Championship, sub for small EPL teams type player. 

How many MLS players dp or not could crack an epl lineup? Maybe a half dozen if that.

I think Caps are having a sneaky good off season. When you'e upgraded a team that finished 3rd that' pretty good. They probably need to shed a winger. Here's hoping it's Brek Shea

Mutch has potential to be a real sleeper. Could also be another Nigel Reo-Coker. Mollo if he is a fit for the squad and Robinson thinks he can work with him could also be a very astute signing. Franklin is probably a better option than Bloom but either would be a cheap fix to add experience and competition for Nerwinski while also allowing him some protection as he grows. 

None set the pulses racing on paper but they will definitely increase the depth and talent level of the squad.  

Archived