Whitecaps Off Season 2017-2018

TRM

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Doesn't he also prefer to play centrally even though he plays out wide a lot? Would be exactly where caps need him.

I’m not sure about his preference, but he plays centrally on occasion for Burnley and pretty much exclusively for the national team.

Would love to see Arfield in the middle of the pitch for the Caps. He'll bring character and leadership, too, and will do much to be that general in the midfield that we need. Wish we could have him now, but summer will do. (We'll just have to scrap things out for several months. Hell, even with Arfield we're going to have to scrap things out.)

I am not surprised by the salary, was close to what I thought (just over a million pounds). Either he feels he won't be able to garner a similar pay scale over a long enough period in his next contract, or is looking for a new challenge. The guy has played for three pro clubs in 11 years, since the age of 18, that is impressive. And has always moved up, Transfermarkt says his value is as high as it has ever been.

Since he is out of contract on June 30, he can talk to new clubs now, so this rumour sounds reliable. 

As I said, I quite like it, for me he would be a key linking player on the team from our uncreative defensive mid to a more talented attack. 

3 hours ago, kmouseyc said:

Tchani moved to Chicago for Tam. Does that open up a spot for Arfield?

With the Egyptian guy out for 4 to 6 weeks, they will probably be bringing in another similar journeyman from abroad before they bring in Arfield (or someone else) in the summer window.

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

I just know @harrycoyster is in the know about whether the Caps are bringing in Arfield/a DP CM, and if they're possibly using the TAM they've accumulated for the past little while to re-sign Parker to the contract he wants

Oh, good thinking on Parker. Parker now and then Arfield in the summer. Things have gone quiet on the Parker front. If Parker stays, then I presume Edgar does not get a contract

2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Oh, good thinking on Parker. Parker now and then Arfield in the summer. Things have gone quiet on the Parker front. If Parker stays, then I presume Edgar does not get a contract

Yeah, especially with Aja arriving. Although maybe Maund gets shipped out and then the Caps re-sign Edgar? There's still many moves yet to be made, that's for sure.

Happy to reserve judgement to see how he turns out. If we bring in another DP mid it's not so bad. 

Not excited though given the rumored baggage in terms of his fitness, attitude and application. Less worried about his political leanings, as long as he is doing well for the club. While it's just rumors I will stick with my opening statement. Fear he will make the Nigel Reo-coker signing look good though.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Felipe is 2 years older than Parker

Holy crap! He's been around so long I figured he was in his late twenties. Wow, this adds some significant depth to the squad.

I think the team has shaped up fairly well in the off season. We'll not really know how strong this squad is until we are well into the season, but I know one thing for sure: the Caps are not going to be fun to play against.  They are a very athletic and pacey side. yeah, maybe we don't quite have the likes of a Valeri in the starting 11, but our squad has to be one of the deepest in MLS.  

2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Why for the hate? (Not a rhetorical question by the way. Just trying to get some insight into the player.)

He was never that great but the real problem was he whined about not playing. He would like the Instagram posts of the teams that had beat us 

46 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

He was never that great but the real problem was he whined about not playing. He would like the Instagram posts of the teams that had beat us 

Good to know!

He's got a fresh start with the Caps; let's see if he can seize the opportunity. (This is a classic Money Ball move on Robbo's part.) Maybe he never got on with the gaffer at Palace and, realizing he was never going to get on his good side, started whinging and whining. His behavior is not justified, mind you.  Robbo will not stand for that shit either.  But Robbo WILL give the lad a chance to be an adult and a successful footballer. Mutch just has to take the bull by the horns...

Archived