Whitecaps Off Season 2017-2018

TRM

3 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I would think there are literally hundreds of better CBs in the world ready to play here for $450k+ US.

On Trasfermarkt there are about 23 with a market value of over half a million who are out of contract and available right now. A few of those are injured, a couple haven't played since last summer. 

I wanted to do one of those jokes like how Iceland chose their national team, where you eliminate chunks of the eligible population until you get only one--and it's Nesta, of course.

https://9gag.com/gag/arNKvpB/how-iceland-football-national-team-was-selected

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I would think there are literally hundreds of better CBs in the world ready to play here for $450k+ US.

But are you going to trust this management to find him?  Remember, they went through a few guys (Aird, Smith, Williams, and some others, including auditioning Parker) as Beitashour's RB replacement before having Nerwinski pan out last year as a draft pick.

This is a good defensive partnership and is probably the one reliable strength of this club.  There is good chemistry between these two players.  Messing with that might create more uncertainty. 

19 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

But are you going to trust this management to find him?  Remember, they went through a few guys (Aird, Smith, Williams, and some others, including auditioning Parker) as Beitashour's RB replacement before having Nerwinski pan out last year as a draft pick.

If we are losing a starter in the midfield or forward position, then I might be more concern. However, with Robinson, one thing he has always done well is developing good defensive players on our line (Nerwinski, Parker, Levis). While I don't trust management to spend any money, we will likely find some draft pick or young player that will do decently to replace Parker.

Besides, this will also likely mean some of our Canadians (Henry, Edgar) gets some minutes.

3 minutes ago, saladroit said:

Teibert has been brilliant tonight.

Bold prediction: We'll see the Caps start 3 Canadians for the opener vs. the Impact. How many will the Impact start?  At least 3, no?

Davies is looking better and better. Seems to be learning the game, which is the critical piece. Took is goal well tonight. That'll give him confidence.  Yes, and Tiebert was tireless, and pretty decent with his passing. 

4 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Bold prediction: We'll see the Caps start 3 Canadians for the opener vs. the Impact. How many will the Impact start?  At least 3, no?

Davies is looking better and better. Seems to be learning the game, which is the critical piece. Took is goal well tonight. That'll give him confidence.  Yes, and Tiebert was tireless, and pretty decent with his passing. 

MDJ, Davies, and Teibert, I assume? Unless Ghazal gets healthy, in which case Teibert would probably sit.

On tonight's match: Caps still don't control the game or create enough from open play (just bring in a DP #10, guys), but the Reyna-Techera-Kamara-Davies front 4 pressed well and took the chances that they had.  

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

So thats it...Parker sits until a trade..grrrrrrrrr.  Please tell me Maund isnt going to start!  Man, a couple weeks ago I didnt think they were going to keep Edgar, now it looks like it could be Edgar Henry pairing when Waston is gone at the WC.   

And they just signed Aja, so he'll be in the mix too.

36 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

And they just signed Aja, so he'll be in the mix too.

He's in year two of a four year contract so I infer that he's been brought in here to start.  He might not be the guy starting next weekend (that probably will be Maund), but I'm sure he'll be beside Waston much sooner than later.

Edgar's still a guy on the bubble because he has no contract yet.  Henry didn't make the squad for this last friendly so you have wonder how his hammy is doing.

Archived