Impact offseason 2017-18

Blackdude

28 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Shitting on the draft and signing bad European players are two different things. TFC has I think 1 guy in their core that they drafted (Hagglund). Seattle has 2 (Roldan and Fisher) Garde said himself that he thought that Academy players are more ready to play in MLS than the potential draftees. It does tell you more about the draft quality getting worse with the Academy system throughout MLS. If ther was that much talent, why did DC which had a higher draft position traded their pick for allocation too? 

Tell me the players drafted in the past 6 years who are  contributors (ie 10+ matches last year) on MLS teams right now?  There aren't that many players like that. 

TFC also drafted Alex Bono.

Bono, Danladi, Yuiell, Nerwinski, Gressel, Elliot, Harrison, Vincent,Tarbell, Campbell, Larin, Alashe, Polster, Parker, Roldan, Sjoberg are all MLS starters and that's only going back three years.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Shitting on the draft and signing bad European players are two different things. TFC has I think 1 guy in their core that they drafted (Hagglund). Seattle has 2 (Roldan and Fisher) Garde said himself that he thought that Academy players are more ready to play in MLS than the potential draftees. It does tell you more about the draft quality getting worse with the Academy system throughout MLS. If ther was that much talent, why did DC which had a higher draft position traded their pick for allocation too? 

Tell me the players drafted in the past 6 years who are  contributors (ie 10+ matches last year) on MLS teams right now?  There aren't that many players like that. 

Tell me the USSDA graduates from the Impact that are MLS impact players right now? The Impact head office has been saying the exact same things about their academy since they started in the league and have almost nothing to show for it (Tabla?) The draft is mediocre at best for finding talent but the academy systems have been even worse and the Impact's European and South American scouting has been generally awful, expensive and full of busts.

The Impact getting condesceding about talent acquistion is like Arby's getting pretentious about eating at Wendy's.

1 minute ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Tell me the USSDA graduates from the Impact that are MLS impact players right now? The Impact head office has been saying the exact same things about their academy since they started in the league and have almost nothing to show for it (Tabla?) The draft is mediocre at best for finding talent but the academy systems have been even worse and the Impact's European and South American scouting has been generally awful, expensive and full of busts.

The Impact getting condesceding about talent acquistion is like Arby's getting pretentious about eating at Wendy's.

As long as they put their money where their mouth is. Still, I don't get how the Impact front office can look at how the Caps and TFC have been able to find multiple MLS-level cheap players in the draft and dismiss it as a useless method of talent acquisition. The 20 picks between 4-7 in the draft in the last 5 years have produced 13 players that can clearly play at the MLS level.

Just now, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I am from Edmonton and last year TSN didn’t show any Montreal games unless they were playing TFC or VWC. Is there a place i could watch Montreal? Now that they have all these Canadians i am pretty hyped to watch them.

TVA Sports has all the games except the V's Cup games. 

14 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I am from Edmonton and last year TSN didn’t show any Montreal games unless they were playing TFC or VWC. Is there a place i could watch Montreal? Now that they have all these Canadians i am pretty hyped to watch them.

I’m in Edmonton as well. I have Bell satellite and watch them on TVA Sports en francais. Yeah they have the rare game on TSN but TVA has better coverage. Anyways you’re welcome to watch at my place just byob. PM me if ever interested. 

Confused with the Vargas signing. Didn't they already own him? He has just been out on loan the past few years right?

Very optimistic for Montreal this year. They have made the most positive changes so far out of the Canadian teams. If Vancouver can grab a decent playmaker and RB they will be up there too. Tfc didn't really need alot extra but if they get van der wiel they will be even stronger. 

8 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

This will be an intriguing season. 

Its looking like one of those years where the Impact could really surprise!   Or, it could really blow up and turn into a disaster where they finish worst than last year.  Thats the risk when you add a new coach ( a european one to a north american league) and you turnover your roster that much.  Especially the starters.   There is jelling that has to occur and chemistry that needs to be developed, especially in areas like the backline.  That can take time.  

My take on Blerim Dzemaili.  From what I saw last season in mls games and in UEFA WCQ that he played in, had he stayed for a full year in 2018,  he might have crept into the conversation for one of the top ten or five players in MLS.  Can Vargas fill that void, ?,  can Diallo lead and steer clear of the character issues that, from what we have read, have plagued him? ,  will Tabla be back?   Will AJH deliver as a starter and produce at the same rate that he was scoring when he was comming off the bench?

edit:  also,  with those players added,  its gonna have to be a 3-5-2 (another big change).  Or else,  with Taider getting the big bucks, how is Piette going to get into the starting lineup?

Taider probably not a great signing as a dp..much less an impact player offensively then Dzemaili..was a backup this season, dzemaili goes back and scores right away..but taider not hard to get as club owned by Saputo..Squad looks weaker than last year up to now

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Taider probably not a great signing as a dp..much less an impact player offensively then Dzemaili..was a backup this season, dzemaili goes back and scores right away..but taider not hard to get as club owned by Saputo..Squad looks weaker than last year up to now

You might be right about Taider.  But I thought he was a DMid.  And that Vargas was supposed to be dzemaili's replacement

12 hours ago, Free kick said:

edit:  also,  with those players added,  its gonna have to be a 3-5-2 (another big change).  Or else,  with Taider getting the big bucks, how is Piette going to get into the starting lineup?

In a 4-2-3-1, who do you have alongside Taïder? I do think that Donadel will be mostly used as a sub this year, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

I know there is the Italian connection with Saputo, but I always wonder why the Impact don't try and sign a well known French national team player (even if it is an older one). Simply from a marketing perspective I imagine that would get alot of buzz in the city.

On 2018-01-23 at 9:18 AM, Big_M said:

well at least IMFC has been honest with the fact Taïder is no Dzemaili. As for the team being weaker on paper it might be and I think they’re still missing an important piece. It just seems they have a young enthusiastic squad w potential which can pay dividends or go bust like Free Kick stated. The only thing I can say is even though most of the guys have something to prove and are underdogs in a way at least you get that feeling they will be united in trying to make this work unlike last years squad that just seemed disfunctional. It seemed like it was several negative attitudes that when mixed together made a toxic cocktail which ended up being too difficult for a coach with Biello’s limited experience and rookie staff too hard to control. With Garde at the helm maybe he’ll be able to mold these kids into something greater. 

9 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

well at least IMFC has been honest with the fact Taïder is no Dzemaili. As for the team being weaker on paper it might be and I think they’re still missing an important piece. It just seems they have a young enthusiastic squad w potential which can pay dividends or go bust like Free Kick stated. The only thing I can say is even though most of the guys have something to prove and are underdogs in a way at least you get that feeling they will be united in trying to make this work unlike last years squad that just seemed disfunctional. It seemed like it was several negative attitudes that when mixed together made a toxic cocktail which ended up being too difficult for a coach with Biello’s limited experience and rookie staff too hard to control. With Garde at the helm maybe he’ll be able to mold these kids into something greater. 

Taider is no Dzemaili offensively but I would argue he's a better player all around. 

(from what i've seen of course)

Archived