Impact offseason 2017-18

Blackdude

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garde put out a squad that will probably start next week. I was surprised to see Kroliki play the complete 90. As a trlalist he got his chance to prove himself, I am not sure if he makes it but I think he will. This team seems somewhat to be an expansion team with so many new looks. Taider makes me forget about Dzemaili as I really did not like his attitude, Taider blasted a shot left footed from 22+ yards out after NYC had just made it 2-0. It was a rocket! The team still needs a striker and a midfielder in my opinion and perhaps more help on the back line. The team has shed the negative energy from certain players and I am confident  that NDS is barred from the locker room. I have the patience to see this team develop and I am hoping the French press here in Montreal leave Piette alone as he needs to focus on his game and not their ignorance.

1 hour ago, mtlfan said:

Garde put out a squad that will probably start next week. I was surprised to see Kroliki play the complete 90. As a trlalist he got his chance to prove himself, I am not sure if he makes it but I think he will. This team seems somewhat to be an expansion team with so many new looks. Taider makes me forget about Dzemaili as I really did not like his attitude, Taider blasted a shot left footed from 22+ yards out after NYC had just made it 2-0. It was a rocket! The team still needs a striker and a midfielder in my opinion and perhaps more help on the back line. The team has shed the negative energy from certain players and I am confident  that NDS is barred from the locker room. I have the patience to see this team develop and I am hoping the French press here in Montreal leave Piette alone as he needs to focus on his game and not their ignorance.

What has been going on in the Montreal press?

Aaron Nielsen's preview was really good:

https://www.americansocceranalysis.com/home/2018/2/16/montreal-impact-2018-season-preview

Piatti really was phenomenal last year but I doubt that level of luck/skill-over-MLS-finishing will last as he gets older. On the other hand, Bush was historically bad last year by keeper xGoals, but keeper xG is often dependent on the defensive system the keeper plays behind. If the new coach can sort out the defensive system they should be in the playoff running but it's no slam dunk.

6 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Aaron Nielsen's preview was really good:

https://www.americansocceranalysis.com/home/2018/2/16/montreal-impact-2018-season-preview

Piatti really was phenomenal last year but I doubt that level of luck/skill-over-MLS-finishing will last as he gets older. On the other hand, Bush was historically bad last year by keeper xGoals, but keeper xG is often dependent on the defensive system the keeper plays behind. If the new coach can sort out the defensive system they should be in the playoff running but it's no slam dunk.

I am not sure how much attention  he has been paying to the Imapct's  pre season if he is predicting that Garde will play Edwards as a back up left back to Raitala - that is the opposite corner of the field from where he has been used. I am not sure why he has got Piatti on the right

We just loaned Salazar and Thomas Thomas Meilleur-Giguère to the Fury. Meilleur-Giguère is one of two healthy CBs on our roster. I know they are moving Raitala over to CB for Vancouver but who is going to be the backup CB? How do we go into a season with only 4 CBs on the roster, one of whom is an Academy player with no minutes played in MLS? Now 2 are injured and we loan the third one. Unless there are some signings coming soon that is incredibly bad roster management.

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2018/02/28/michael-salazar-and-thomas-meilleur-giguère-loaned-ottawa-fury-fc-2018-season

11 hours ago, BradMack said:

David Edgar is not yet signed..... Is there some stupid MLS rule preventing this from happening? I'd take Edgar on a free vs trading for Parker any day.

There is definitely something that says they'd have to trade for his rights, it might be only 50K in GAM or TAM though. At this point I'd want Montreal to come back with both of them though.

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

How is the Impact front office this bad every year? New coaches, panic signings and bizarre roster management, it happens again and again. They signed their third round draft pick today just weeks after Garde made a big stink about how terrible the draft was!

I don't find anything wrong or strange about the Impact signing Krolicki after Garde's comments. They have a surprisingly good record of finding some useful guys in lower rounds. Garde thought what he could get for the early picks was worth more than the players. Getting Krolicki in a late round pick without trade value is free and he apparently had a good camp and pre-season. 

Going into the season with only 3 CBs on the other hand is crazy even if 2 had not been injured.

14 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

How is the Impact front office this bad every year? New coaches, panic signings and bizarre roster management, it happens again and again. They signed their third round draft pick today just weeks after Garde made a big stink about how terrible the draft was!

You answered your own question, front office is made up of NDS and his pal Adam. Garde needs more time to find players as Impact have zero in term of scouting.

i am not worried yet as the season is very long, time to find some players to fill the void perhaps with some players from the North American Soccer League. Also Voyageur Cup match vs Vancouver is in July which for me is the only championship this team can win this year. 

On 2018-02-27 at 5:52 PM, Grizzly said:

That is what happens when you do not make adequate signings in a position of great need after trading your top player at this position. 

They (JS, NDS, Braz) didn’t do enough. That’s what happens when you hire bros instead of pros. Or am I being too harsh, should I cut them slack and blame it on nobody really wanting to play in Mtl?

I just find they always set their team and head coach for failure. They don’t do enough to make the team competitive instead they just get odds and sawds. I find they haven’t learned their lesson from 2014 and 2017. The Mtl market likes winners. The sporting public will realize JS isn’t serious about winning and will affect attendance. All you’ll have are the few people loyal to the club and your average family or bystanders looking for a time out coming to the game. Expect more criticism from JS and Garber this year.

On 2018-03-01 at 10:36 AM, mtlfan said:

i am not worried yet as the season is very long, time to find some players to fill the void perhaps with some players from the North American Soccer League. Also Voyageur Cup match vs Vancouver is in July which for me is the only championship this team can win this year. 

Well I’m not worried, just like any Montrealer, I just got used to it. Used to this club going half ass except the time they got DD. Other than that they always hurt themselves by not doing enough in the winter window, thus digging a hole for themselves by the time the summer window comes. Then when that window opens it isn’t enough to get them out. I’m just not confident in NDS and AB’s abilities. Nepotism. They don’t seem ambitious and just clueless. Hope Garde can tell them to their face they’re in over their heads. 

If they just want bros in the office, mediocrity from their club and B players on the roster I think CPL will be a great fit for Saputo. Amateur. How can you justify this squad when you knew you were losing so many players, you sold draft picks, made a profit selling a prodigy but just did the minimum to fill holes like the union workers filling in the craters in Montréal? Is that the strategy? Putting money in the pocket and putting out a sub par product trying to fool people? 

Oh the similarities the club has to the city and construction. 

81195CE2-A172-4D33-A60C-1123162ADDF1.jpeg

538 had the xG from the Vancouver game as only 1.2 - 1.0 for Vancouver. Impact could easily have had a draw in that game. It was a good header but I think a top MLS keeper saves that Kamara shot through better positioning or reflexes. They should really have replacing Bush as their top short-term priority.

Archived