2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

So, if we win we face the winner of Honduras/Mexico. Does this mean we have to cheer for Honduras? I'm so conflicted.

#FH

Yes, because if they somehow knock off Mexico they will automatically think they are going to win the Gold Cup....so it will be even sweeter when we send them home in the semi's.

#FH

59 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

It's mainly players from their domestic league and US based players.  The british players like Mariappa, Barnes, Morgan etc. are not there

55 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Wes Morgan, Adrian Mariappa, Giles Barnes, Clay Donaldson, Michael Hector. Might be forgetting one or two more, but these are the starter level players that are missing.

This is why I hate how the Gold Cup is held every 2 years. Makes one of them look like a joke

10 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Cavallini should start, and Larin comes off the bench hungry asf.

As long as he isn't thirsty...

Alright, got that outta my system.

I tend to agree with this.  Cav works his tail off out there. Ideal for me is if he can empty the tank over 60-65 minutes and then we bring on Larin as a closer.  There is an argument to be made for fielding them both with Cav sitting behind Larin, but Cav has played a lot and I am not sure how our team (or Cav specifically) would play with a formation with two up front but Cav a bit withdrawn.  Not really a formation geek, but I would be hesitant to tinker with the set up too much at this stage.

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Mexico 0 - Honduras 0 

Honduras wins 4-3 on PK's.

Honduras advances to the Semis without scoring a goal.

Wow ... they can win the tournament without scoring a goal.  That would be awesome(???).

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Mexico 0 - Honduras 0 

Honduras wins 4-3 on PK's.

Honduras advances to the Semis without scoring a goal.

I was thinking of this too. Impossible really to cheer for either team, and in particular I want to keep Honduras' goalless streak in tact. I was thinking for the PK's it would be cool for it to be a dramatic 1-0 win, with the only PK scored for Honduras a shot off the post or crossbar that then bounces away from goal, only to hit the Mexican goalkeeper and deflect back into the net.

If we look at the first round results in the 7 matches between the 8 remaining teams, 5 were draws, a 1 nil win (Costa Rica over Honduras) and the 3-1 win by Mexico over El Salvador.  It shows what a tight tournament it has been and will most likely continue to be. It is a reason for optimism among us Canada fans but it also a reason to be cautious. 

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I was thinking of this too. Impossible really to cheer for either team, and in particular I want to keep Honduras' goalless streak in tact. I was thinking for the PK's it would be cool for it to be a dramatic 1-0 win, with the only PK scored for Honduras a shot off the post or crossbar that then bounces away from goal, only to hit the Mexican goalkeeper and deflect back into the net.

How about, Florent Malouda somehow sneaks onto the field for Mexico and Mexico wins 8-0*, which then turns into a 3-0 default win for Honduras?

*was going to put 8-1, but I really don't want them scoring any goals either.

How does the French Federation not allow players to play in the Gold Cup? Does French Guiana need the French Federation to ask the clubs to release their players or something?

The part about Montagliani possibly telling French Guiana to play Malouda so they can publicly complain to FIFA about FFF seems like a pretty big leap to me.

''CONCACAF told French Guyana to put him on the field so they can be forced to punish the club''

Shocking if that would be the case. You tell them to put him on the field then declare a default loss and make your tournament look like a joke

27 minutes ago, Big_M said:

''CONCACAF told French Guyana to put him on the field so they can be forced to punish the club''

Shocking if that would be the case. You tell them to put him on the field then declare a default loss and make your tournament look like a joke

The reality is they weren't going to win regardless, but having Malouda represent them had greater notoriety for the " federation".

The main issue is that the FFF weren't releasing players for French Guiana for an official FIFA tournament. 

Montagilani will be soldifying him self as the real CONCACAF saviour president if he gets these smaller nations who are under French or Dutch rule to be full FIFA members.

Not sure which thread to post this in but SI.com has Canada as the 4th ranked team coming in

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/07/18/gold-cup-quarterfinal-power-rankings-usa-mexico-costa-rica

"Led by 16-year-old Alphonso Davies, whose three goals are tied for the tournament lead, Canada fared well and didn't show any nerves on the same stage as Costa Rica in group play. Now with Cyle Larin in the fold for the knockout stage, the Canadians boast another goal-scoring threat and their best chance for their first run to the final since 2000."

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

Amusing how they think they are ranked 1

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

I find it arguable who is number one.  It's not like any team up there is head and shoulders above the others.

Well, of the group winners the US called in the most reinforcements. I'd say Mexico was still number one before that Curacao game...but they looked terrible.

Who is number 1 if the US isn't? Panama? Costa Rica? Both have been just as unimpressive as the US.

To me, Mexico has the best draw against a shit Honduras team and then either us or Jamaica.  But as you noted they basically got played off the field by Curacao so who the hell knows.

If you don't believe in Mexico, the betting odds (don't @ me), have some awesome value on whoever you think is coming out of our quarterfinal.

US has the easier QF I think. Plus they added 5 players who would probably start in their next WCQ. Mexico has the same team. If both teams kept the same teams, I would think that Mexico would be a better team, but it's not. And about the Curaçao match, they put the reserves of their reserve team so I don't know how much you can take from that match. 

7 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

US has the easier QF I think. Plus they added 5 players who would probably start in their next WCQ. Mexico has the same team. If both teams kept the same teams, I would think that Mexico would be a better team, but it's not. And about the Curaçao match, they put the reserves of their reserve team so I don't know how much you can take from that match. 

I think the days of Dempsey starting for the US in must win games have past. Altidore and Wood will start when both are healthy and Pulisic has basically ended the Dempsey in attacking midfield experiment. 

They ranked Panama behind Jamaca and Canada... In my opinion Panama has been playing right up there with the USA and Mexico. I wouldn't put it past them to make it to the finals. Jamaca on the other hand had to score on a PK to beat El Salvadore. Jamaca really didn't show too much in the group stage other than sitting back and watching Mexico struggle (for mexico's standards). Canada would be about on par with Panama IMO. Of course, i am very Biased in that judgement as well.

Archived