2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Mexico 0, Jamaica 0. Both teams move on to 4 points and have a plus 2 goal differential. Mexico in first with more goals scored.

After two matches for each team, Canada leads the Gold Cup in goals scored - who'd have thunk it?

We don't just lead in goals scored - we lead the whole damn thing.

No one has more than 4 points, no one has more than +2 GD, and we've scored more goals than anyone else.  If they compared first-placed teams, we'd be top of the bunch.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I don't know how FIFA player eligibility rules can prevent Malouda from playing if French Guiana is not a FIFA member. Really, no French Guiana player is eligible under FIFA rules as none of them have a French Guiana passport, etc. 

Concacaf now has ruled on a fantasy, theoretical basis: IF French Guiana was a FIFA member and was subject to their rules, then Malouda wouldn't be able to play for them, so he can't play for them now.

Insane.

Exactly! So if they are ruling on fantasy why wouldn't they rule in fantasizing that malouda would be eligible under FIFA rules.. which he would be!! Even as a capped French player he would be able to switch if FG became a member of FIFA. 

Technically this means that other players who have played for French youth teams should also be ineligible and cause a forfeit since they didn't officially switch allegiance. 

10 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I don't know how FIFA player eligibility rules can prevent Malouda from playing if French Guiana is not a FIFA member. Really, no French Guiana player is eligible under FIFA rules as none of them have a French Guiana passport, etc. 

It's simple.   The Gold Cup is being played with FIFA standard eligibility rules.  Those rules apply to any team in the tournament, regardless of their FIFA status.

That's not to say that Concacaf didn't F this up.  Because they did.   Going forward, it should be as simple as : If you aren't eligible to play in the tournament, you aren't allowed to be on the roster. period.

6 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Concacaf now has ruled on a fantasy, theoretical basis: IF French Guiana was a FIFA member and was subject to their rules, then Malouda wouldn't be able to play for them, so he can't play for them now.

Insane.

Considering this is a CONCACAF tournament...French Guiana not being a FIFA member is irrelevant really. CONCACAF bases it's player-ineligibility rules on the FIFA rules but it's still a CONCACAF tournament not a FIFA tournament. FIFA has no connection to this and any argument from French Guiana about not being a FIFA member is between them and FIFA... not CONCACAF.

Really the strange thing is that CONCACAF has nations in it that don't qualify for FIFA but CONCACAF is part of FIFA as an eligible, and governing entity. A governing entity not in compliance with their own governing bodies rules. The whole thing is very, very messy.

5 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

It's simple.   The Gold Cup is being played with FIFA standard eligibility rules.  Those rules apply to any team in the tournament, regardless of their FIFA status.

That's not to say that Concacaf didn't F this up.  Because they did.   Going forward, it should be as simple as : If you aren't eligible to play in the tournament, you aren't allowed to be on the roster. period.

So if you've played for a French youth team how can you be eligible for French Guiana? Under FIFA rules you would need to file a switch. It's all fallacy. The fact is that if FG were a FIFA country like this gold cup wishes to pretend then malouda would be eligible. And if he wasn't he shouldn't have been allowed in. 

The fact concacaf waited this long is criminal. The only reasons I can think of are that they were waiting for a pay out from Honduras (not necessarily the fa but others) OR they announced late so FG couldn't appeal. Either way it reeks of corruption. How do you not know the rules of your own tournament? It's unfathomable. 

Hypothetical and irrelevant but kind of relevant question here:

If FG were to formally declare independence from France (and became a FIFA country), would Malouda be able to play for them?  Or would he still be locked in to France?

How has this worked in the past with countries declaring independence?

2 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Hypothetical and irrelevant but kind of relevant question here:

If FG were to formally declare independence from France (and became a FIFA country), would Malouda be able to play for them?  Or would he still be locked in to France?

How has this worked in the past with countries declaring independence?

Malouda would be eligible. As has happened with many countries for instance former Yugoslavia and Kosovo. 

Based solely on what others have said, I think this is where the one-time declaration would come into play.  He would (and could)  have to get FIFA approval to make the switch, and would then be a perfectly legal player to rep FG (a country he didn't previously have the option of representing given their non-status). 

Hopefully FG can crush costa rica and make it through as the 3rd place team. Then they win their quarterfinal game. Then they play us in the semis. Malouda has served his suspension so he plays against us and then they forfeit so we make the finals. (I realize this likely isn't even possible)

5 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Hopefully FG can crush costa rica and make it through as the 3rd place team. Then they win their quarterfinal game. Then they play us in the semis. Malouda has served his suspension so he plays against us and then they forfeit so we make the finals. (I realize this likely isn't even possible)

This is CONCACAF! Anything is possible! 

I'm not worried about us, we'll take care of the bizo

However, if we out right win, and the other pool results go as they should, its Martinique & El Salvador that might get screwed and should be pissed as well.

To think that a team that doesn't win a game or potentially might not even score a goal, but makes it to QF's 

May have been posted in this thread, haven't been following.

Did anyone else know this?

Knockout stage

In the quarter-finals and semi-finals, if a match is tied after 90 minutes extra time is not played, and the match is decided by a penalty shoot-out. In the final, if a match is tied after 90 minutes extra time is played, where each team is allowed to make a fourth substitution. If still tied after extra time, the match is decided by a penalty shoot-out.

42 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Agreed. It makes no sense to issue a suspension. He is either ineligible or eligible - allowed to be on the roster or not. Period. 

It further helps Honduras because it prevents FG from gifting Costa Rica with another 3-0 win.

4 minutes ago, killgod said:

Knockout stage

In the quarter-finals and semi-finals, if a match is tied after 90 minutes extra time is not played, and the match is decided by a penalty shoot-out. In the final, if a match is tied after 90 minutes extra time is played, where each team is allowed to make a fourth substitution. If still tied after extra time, the match is decided by a penalty shoot-out.

I read about that in a fan comment section on a website somewhere (can't recall) but I didn't know if  it was true or not

7 minutes ago, killgod said:

Knockout stage

I am not even sure CONCACAF knows about this. 

11 minutes ago, killgod said:

Knockout stage

Why do you do this to yourselves CONCACAF!!!

I didn't know that. Is the fourth substitution a FIFA thing? I've heard it suggested that it would be a positive rule change, but not sure if that has actually happened yet.

As for going straight to shoot-outs, that is ridiculous. I imagine the reason is that the quarter finals and semi finals are double headers, so they want to get the first game off the field before the next one is scheduled to start. Absolutely terrible in my opinion. Can you imagine losing in a shoot out without getting a shot at extra time?

P.S. I just checked 2015, and there were games that went to extra time in the quarter finals and semi finals that year, so this is definitely a new genius rule.

10 minutes ago, killgod said:

Knockout stage

Isn't this also the plan for the group stage of the World Cup once it goes to 48 teams?  Winner on PKs gets 2 points and the loser gets 1?  Or did I imagine that?

They did that in Copa America last year and it seemed the players liked it, so I'm not surprised it made its away across.  

Doesn't make it any less of a farce though.  Realistically it helps the weaker teams so I find it tough to be too mad about it.

Archived