2017 Gold Cup Opponents

Gian-Luca

7 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

They ranked Panama behind Jamaca and Canada... In my opinion Panama has been playing right up there with the USA and Mexico. I wouldn't put it past them to make it to the finals. Jamaca on the other hand had to score on a PK to beat El Salvadore. Jamaca really didn't show too much in the group stage other than sitting back and watching Mexico struggle (for mexico's standards). Canada would be about on par with Panama IMO. Of course, i am very Biased in that judgement as well.

Yes, but bias or not, I DO think that Canada has a chance here to show they are on par with the likes of Panama and Costa Rica, with Jamaica and Honduras not far behind. We need to beat Jamaica to say that we are among the top 5--both literally and figuratively--but I don't think it is crazy to say that we can indeed crack the top five soon.  We need a solid game, and a result.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Yes, but bias or not, I DO think that Canada has a chance here to show they are on par with the likes of Panama and Costa Rica, with Jamaica and Honduras not far behind. We need to beat Jamaica to say that we are among the top 5--both literally and figuratively--but I don't think it is crazy to say that we can indeed crack the top five soon.  We need a solid game, and a result.

I think we are still a distance from claiming being on par with Costa Rica. Beat Jamaica and we have a claim to the 5-7 spots in CONCACAF. Given the players they are missing, I don't think a win over Jamaica says we are definitively better than them, just that we are firmly in the Honduras, Jamaica, T&T block of teams that should make the Hex 2 of every 3 cycles. 

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Well, of the group winners the US called in the most reinforcements. I'd say Mexico was still number one before that Curacao game...but they looked terrible.

Who is number 1 if the US isn't? Panama? Costa Rica? Both have been just as unimpressive as the US.

Costa Rica. They easily beat the minnow in their group (unlike the US), tied Honduras, and tied a future top 3 Concacaf team ;)

18 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Costa Rica. They easily beat the minnow in their group (unlike the US), tied Honduras, and tied a future top 3 Concacaf team ;)

I think you are just throwing the minnow tag on the wrong team in group B. I think Costa Rica and the US were the two best group winners and that the US upgraded a bit more through the 6 change rule. Costa Rica tying us would be impressive in 2027 when we are fresh off our first of many World Cup wins B), but this isn't that team yet. 

11 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Actually, just to strengthen your argument, Costa Rica beat Honduras.

Hard to not consider Mexico #1 but Costa Rica have impressed more than the US thus far, IMHO.

Yea my bad, I had a brain fart

looking back at world cup 2014...Costa Rica was in a group with Uruguay, Italy, England.....and finished 1st...

edit: probably already discussed before but CONCACAF did pretty well in WC 2014

in round of 16 there were:

6 UEFA teams

5 CONEMBOL teams

3 CONCACAF teams

2 CAF teams

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

looking back at world cup 2014...Costa Rica was in a group with Uruguay, Italy, England.....and finished 1st...

6 UEFA teams

5 CONEMBOL teams

3 CONCACAF teams

2 CAF teams

Only 1 CONCACAF team put out in the first round. Bettered only by CONEMBOL with nobody not making the second round. UEFA with 7 I think.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

6 UEFA teams

5 CONEMBOL teams

3 CONCACAF teams

2 CAF teams

And all 4 Asian teams came last in their group, none of them got more than 1 point. And yet for the 2026 World Cup they get 3.5 more spots, while CONCACAF only gets 2.5 more spots, despite already having one fewer spot than AFC to begin with.

54 minutes ago, Kent said:

And all 4 Asian teams came last in their group, none of them got more than 1 point. And yet for the 2026 World Cup they get 3.5 more spots, while CONCACAF only gets 2.5 more spots, despite already having one fewer spot than AFC to begin with.

Money, AFC has money(Oil money, china money etc) Concacaf has???? other than USA and Mexico. Fifa only care about the dollar bills ya'll.

2 hours ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Money, AFC has money(Oil money, china money etc) Concacaf has???? other than USA and Mexico. Fifa only care about the dollar bills ya'll.

I was reading an article not to long ago that estimated that FIFA would gain an extra 500 million dollars in revenue if China made the World Cup. 

I see that the Fox crew of Landycakes, Holden, and the other talking head are spending a fair bit of time throwing Canadian ref Drew Fischer under the bus.  Just turned the match on so I have no clue how he's actually reffing. Is he better than Gantar?

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I see that the Fox crew of Landycakes, Holden, and the other talking head are spending a fair bit of time throwing Canadian ref Drew Fischer under the bus.  Just turned the match on so I have no clue how he's actually reffing. Is he better than Gantar?

They don't seem to be giving him any credit for not buying any of the ES dives. He has missed some calls but  The amount of times that the Salvadorans are doing dirty stuff off the ball & behind the play he'd need to have eyes in the back of his head.  I think it's just a superiority complex that they are allegedly so worried about the Ref's future World Cup officiating prospects. They are making it seem like he is the one competing

Fischer has struggled... mainly with his sanctioning..there's been a couple of blatant yellow's and maybe one red that was missed......and a couple of yellows he did give weren't probably as egregious as the ones he didnt give....he hasn't bought much of El Salvador's antics though

56 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

He missed three clear red cards (a bite, a studs up kick, and a punch), but to be honest all were pretty easy too miss. He made a few very questionable decisions in regards to not carding some challenges, but did well not to buy the constant Salvadoran dives. Not as shocking a game as my American friends are saying he had, but it wasn't a good showing by any means.

9 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

He missed three clear red cards (a bite, a studs up kick, and a punch), but to be honest all were pretty easy too miss. He made a few very questionable decisions in regards to not carding some challenges, but did well not to buy the constant Salvadoran dives. Not as shocking a game as my American friends are saying he had, but it wasn't a good showing by any means.

That's my take...he was bad but I've seen worse

58 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

That's my take...he was bad but I've seen worse

At end of day, he didn't cost anyone the game and the expected and desired result happened.

Just curious, I am not fully knowledgeable on the "refereeing subject", would the sideline referee have some responsibility/onus for some of those behind the ball, dirty plays?

10 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

At end of day, he didn't cost anyone the game and the expected and desired result happened.

Just curious, I am not fully knowledgeable on the "refereeing subject", would the sideline referee have some responsibility/onus for some of those behind the ball, dirty plays?

I know on one of the plays that the head ref missed (shoulda been a red) he alerted the ref and he called the foul, but since the Head Ref missed it he couldn't really card it like it should have been carded....

3 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

I know on one of the plays that the head ref missed (shoulda been a red) he alerted the ref and he called the foul, but since the Head Ref missed it he couldn't really card it like it should have been carded....

I am no expert, but I think this is a matter of "wouldn't" not "couldn't".  I have seen other plays where a supporting official has advised a ref of an incident and a red was issued.  If anything, I think your example shows that the ref last night DID make some mistakes.  If a supporting official clearly sees something that warrants a red, then a red should be issued.  Otherwise, you are reinforcing the kind of "con the ref" mentality that dragged last night's game down into the Salvadorian muck.

Archived