CPL Season Schedule

25 minutes ago, gator said:

Perhaps Voyageurs Cup seeding could be at stake for the bottom team(s) forcing an extra round if you finish bottom?

you could do that but the stakes and gains are not big enough to warrant doing it that way instead of just having a single table decide. i also don't think the cup is big enough a draw to make a big deal out of it. it's basically an nit. i just don't think it makes sense.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could the CPL not do something similar to the Scottish Premiership, and have the table split into a top and bottom half for the final few matches? I doubt this is what they will do, as it would mean some scheduling uncertainty for the final few games, but it is another option. 

7 hours ago, ktf said:

Could the CPL not do something similar to the Scottish Premiership, and have the table split into a top and bottom half for the final few matches? I doubt this is what they will do, as it would mean some scheduling uncertainty for the final few games, but it is another option. 

Also not with 7 teams and no relegation.

15 hours ago, matty said:

Sorry but the bottom 4 would literally be playing useless games so i don't see it as the league is for 2019

I agree about the useless games, and I wasn’t trying to advocate for that system. Just thought that seemed like the most likely because I thought it sounded like it wouldn’t be Apertura/Clausura based on NASL having done it. But I guess as others have pointed out he might have meant among mainstream leagues or something.

13 hours ago, gator said:

Perhaps Voyageurs Cup seeding could be at stake for the bottom team(s) forcing an extra round if you finish bottom?

I think a difficulty with this one is not knowing how many teams will be in the next Voyageurs Cup until potentially during/after the season, and therefor not knowing the tournament format yet. Interesting idea though.

10 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

How some other countries work with a 'split season' for playoff/relegation purposes.  

(from my December 2018 edition of World Soccer)  

S Korea.jpg

Can't remember where or when I saw it, but I do remember someone at the league (Possibly Clanachan) saying that the league would more closely model the South Korean league rather than MLS

I just read a bit about the SPL split season, which I did not know was a thing before.

As some have already said, I am not sure how this would work without relegation. For half-ish the league, it means a high number of matches that have no real impact on the standings.

Also, I really do not like the idea that, pre-split, there is a built-in uneven number of home vs away games between two clubs. That being said, Clanachan has basically already confirmed that the schedule wasn't going to be balanced, so guess I'll just have to accept it.

In this article, it says that the season is expected to go from April to September.

Frankly, I would be surprised if there were no matches in October. I feel like a 5 month off-season is simply too long.

*EDIT*
Probably not a bad idea to link the actual article: https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/183333/la-nouvelle-ligue-canadienne-de-soccer-verra-le-jour-ce-printemps

1 hour ago, Sébastien said:

In this article, it says that the season is expected to go from April to September.

Frankly, I would be surprised if there were no matches in October. I feel like a 5 month off-season is simply too long.

*EDIT*
Probably not a bad idea to link the actual article: https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/183333/la-nouvelle-ligue-canadienne-de-soccer-verra-le-jour-ce-printemps

with a season that short (if it is last week of April to September), it's hard to see them not playing during international windows or having proper bye weeks or friendlies with a 28 game season in like 26~ weeks. also makes me wonder how useful the transfer window might be.

kinda wish they went conservative and played a shorter season of like 18 to 24 games . it seems like a lot of soccer in a very short window 

20 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

How some other countries work with a 'split season' for playoff/relegation purposes.  

(from my December 2018 edition of World Soccer)  

S Korea.jpg

Uzbekistan.jpg

Carrying full seasons record forward to start the final round or only record against fellow playoff/relegation teams.  

I love this type of split season but it only works with pro rel. I have also always wondered how they deal with the scheduling of the second half. That must be a cluster fuck for both the fans and administrators.

2 hours ago, Alex D said:

I love this type of split season but it only works with pro rel. I have also always wondered how they deal with the scheduling of the second half. That must be a cluster fuck for both the fans and administrators.

100% true.  The issue that comes up with a 38 game season where the split happens after 33 is that you often will have situations where 1) certain teams could have 20 home games and others 18 home games and 2) that fourth fixture after the split could have one team playing a rival 3 times at home and only once away in order to get to 19 home and 19 away.  It's a huge area of controversy in the Scottish Premier League when the split happens.  Not that I see this model happening in the CPL anytime soon or ever.

^ Is great fun though.  And with the relegation/promotion playoffs does wonders for end of season.  

But yeah, have to have all those things in place to make it work at the stern end of the table.  So, still has me wondering where we're headed.  Especially with a 7 team league.  

• 2 weeks later...

So what are we all picking? Single table? Round Robins? Apertura and Clausura? A wacky play-off?

I'm betting Apertura and Clausura. One running last week of April to first week of July (10 weeks - 14 games) and the other first/second week of August to first/second week of October (10 weeks - 14 games). Canadian Soccer Bowl played over two week (home/away) between both winners. July mostly off so teams can play with the transfer window and build hype for the fall season and maybe do a friendly.

14 games in 10 weeks isn't ideal but oh well.

5 hours ago, matty said:

So what are we all picking? Single table? Round Robins? Apertura and Clausura? A wacky play-off?

I'm betting Apertura and Clausura. One running last week of April to first week of July (10 weeks - 14 games) and the other first/second week of August to first/second week of October (10 weeks - 14 games). Canadian Soccer Bowl played over two week (home/away) between both winners. July mostly off so teams can play with the transfer window and build hype for the fall season and maybe do a friendly.

14 games in 10 weeks isn't ideal but oh well.

I will guess the same but hope a Canadian Soccer Bowl would/will be a one and done match with Apertura winner getting the home stadium honor and having plenty of time to prep/market/sell tickets for the big game.

I Agree, it makes the second half of the year relevant for all teams except for the winner of the first half and will keep fan interest high. However, I don't see this being a long-term format because as the league grows it simply won't have enought time to play two home and away. I could see them continuing the format, but eventually thinning out the number of games until it's just a single game against each team per half season. Say it evolves like this:

7 teams: Apertura-Clausura, 24 games: two half seasons of home and away matches against each other team, with a championship between the two league leaders. (Which would continue as the league grows, though that could lead to some crying foul with some teams possibly having a better overall record.)

10 teams: Apertura-Clausura, 27 games: Play each team once, then half the teams a second time. Second half, play every team once, then play against the remaining teams twice that they didn't play in the first half. 

12-15 teams Apertura-Clausura, 24-28 games  Play each team once each half of the year.

16 teams: Split into 8-team Div 1 and Div 2, 28 games. Implement Pro-Rel each half of the season, with the bottom two Div 1 teams and the top two Div 2 teams swapping places. This gives every club a shot at playing in the end of Season Championship (though the second half would probably suck for the Div 2 clubs). It's from this point that they could start growing Div 2 so that it's regional east and west and eventually increase the size of Div 1.

32 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

No apertura, no clausura, no ‘bowls’ nor gimmicks of any kind! Please!!!! Ha ha

so what cha want? there's no playoffs but there's gonna be something so single table is off the table and the belgian style makes little sense

Archived