CPL Season Schedule

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, DrummingInMySleep said:

I bet Valour is the odd one out for week one. It will be Al Classico in Calgary, for the better optics, and Pacific hosting Halifax for that whole coast to coast angle.

I agree...can see them opening at home the following weekend against the Forge with a founders angle to it.

12 minutes ago, DrummingInMySleep said:

I bet Valour is the odd one out for week one. It will be Al Classico in Calgary, for the better optics, and Pacific hosting Halifax for that whole coast to coast angle.

I thought that too initially, but it is possible that they want the AB derby to highlight another weekend.  That would follow with their logic of spreading the impactful news.  Why have one derby going up against another same weekend, when you can have one highlight one weekend and another derby highlight the next weekend.

Valour will be filler or get the bye.

3 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I thought that too initially, but it is possible that they want the AB derby to highlight another weekend.  That would follow with their logic of spreading the impactful news.  Why have one derby going up against another same weekend, when you can have one highlight one weekend and another derby highlight the next weekend.

Valour will be filler or get the bye.

"filler"? Bite your tongue!

Anyway, looks like Pacific are at home on Sun Apr 28th and their closest team is in Alberta. Would make sense to have a game on each coast, so, Halifax anyone? Would be nice to get good away support happening for all the inaugural home matches. Kudos to York for what they are doing.

8 minutes ago, matty said:

based on the recent cpl/cl news i think we're seeing a split season of april to july and august to october

How do you think they will get to 28 games?

How do you think they will decide on the champion? They have already said no playoffs.

1 hour ago, matty said:

based on the recent cpl/cl news i think we're seeing a split season of april to july and august to october

My guess is this:

1. A double fully interlocking schedule, which takes us to 24 matches per team (everybody plays everybody else twice home and twice away).

2a. Championship Round: Top 3 play each other home and away (4 more matches each) and finish 1st to 3rd based on total points gained over the *entire season*. Note that the top 3 will have played EXACTLY the same schedule.

2b. Placement Round: The teams placed 4-7 will play for final position. #4 plays #7 home and away, and the other two teams once. #5 plays #6 home and away and the other two teams once. These 4 teams are then placed 4th to 7th based on points gained over the *entire season*.

Edit: The CL place would go to the team with the most points after the first fully interlocking schedule is complete (everybody has played everybody else once home and once away).

9 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

How do you think they will decide on the champion? They have already said no playoffs.

Simple. The same way they had before.

Simple. The same way they ahd before.

However, they have to have a CONCACAF League team and I'm guessing that they'll have all teams play 6-12 games to have a CONCACAF League representative. 

1 minute ago, Blackdude said:

Simple. The same way they had before.

Simple. The same way they ahd before.

However, they have to have a CONCACAF League team and I'm guessing that they'll have all teams play 6-12 games to have a CONCACAF League representative. 

The way they had before? This is the first season! They have never done it before! Are we at crossed purposes?

9 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Well before knowing that they'd have to nominate a CONCACAF League team by July. I don't think it changes a lot. 

It might change when they would like to have the first fully interlocking schedule completed, so that they can use it to determine the CL place. In any case, something is holding up the schedule release date beyond what they had announced. May not be this though.

23 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

My guess is this:

1. A double fully interlocking schedule, which takes us to 24 matches per team (everybody plays everybody else twice home and twice away).

2a. Championship Round: Top 3 play each other home and away (4 more matches each) and finish 1st to 3rd based on total points gained over the *entire season*. Note that the top 3 will have played EXACTLY the same schedule.

2b. Placement Round: The teams placed 4-7 will play for final position. #4 plays #7 home and away, and the other two teams once. #5 plays #6 home and away and the other two teams once. These 4 teams are then placed 4th to 7th based on points gained over the *entire season*.

Previously the European split season format would have made sense given what Clanachan has said recently, but the first round of 24 games wouldn't be finished by July.

My guess is it'll be some sort of League Cup, since that's the only other format that hasn't been done in NA before but has been done elsewhere and could realistically be finished by July. In the first round the clubs could be split into two regional groups, one of 3 and one of 4. A double round-robin would guarantee that every club plays the necessary minimum of two additional home matches for the total of 14 promised to season seat holders, and then the winners of each group would play each other in the final with the winner qualifying for CONCACAF League. The league proper would just be the symmetrical 24-game quad round-robin.

41 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

guessing 14 games over like 10-12 weeks, 3 week break, and a champion game between both season winners

It will only be 12 games if they play each other twice though. 7 teams but only 6 games to play each other once. 

Could be a mammoth season where they play each other 4 time but I think that takes excitement away and gets to NHL repetitive. Two mini seasons of 12 games would be more exciting. But not sure where they get the extra 4 games for each club to make 28. 

10 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It will only be 12 games if they play each other twice though. 7 teams but only 6 games to play each other once. 

Could be a mammoth season where they play each other 4 time but I think that takes excitement away and gets to NHL repetitive. Two mini seasons of 12 games would be more exciting. But not sure where they get the extra 4 games for each club to make 28. 

they said they were gonna have (forced) rivalry games to pad the season out.

12 would make sense but sense and canadian don't go together ;)

As a fan of FC Edmonton in the NASL time, I hate that system. It works if your season is long, but the season in Canada is going to be barely 6 months. Each individual season is way to short, and teams can just streak their way into winning a “season”. It is also possible for the best team overall in the whole year not to win a “season” and be screwed over. Not the right way to go. 

And I have found it actually makes the games less interesting, not more interesting. In a 12 game season, if you lose your first 3 games, you are essentially out of the running right there. In a 24 game season you can come back from a bad start.

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

As a fan of FC Edmonton in the NASL time, I hate that system. It works if your season is long, but the season in Canada is going to be barely 6 months. Each individual season is way to short, and teams can just streak their way into winning a “season”. It is also possible for the best team overall in the whole year not to win a “season” and be screwed over. Not the right way to go. 

And I have found it actually makes the games less interesting, not more interesting. In a 12 game season, if you lose your first 3 games, you are essentially out of the running right there. In a 24 game season you can come back from a bad start.

100% agreed. I disliked it back when the Fury were in the NASL, and I dislike it now. If people find that playoffs overly reward teams who "get hot at the right time", A/C does it even more so. Winning streaks are suddenly worth more than consistency, and losing is less important than the time at which you lose.

Please no A/C.

Something that seemed to go under the radar yesterday.

Canada Soccer will use the home and away matches in the Canadian Premier League regular season between FC Edmonton, Forge FC, and Valour FC to determine who advances to the Preliminary Round of the 2019 Scotiabank Concacaf League.

This means each of these clubs will meet each other twice within prior to July 2019.

Looks like they have painted themselves into a corner with some of their earlier rhetoric. They appear to be doing intellectual contortions to avoid having something called a playoff to provide a point of difference from MLS that they probably think gives them extra street cred in some way. Problem is that they really do still need something that effectively is one (hence the mention of a possible "Super Cup") to identify a league champion in an equitable way, because they can't balance the apertura and clausura at 14 games each 7 home and 7 away against the other teams without having the Fury on board if they are going to be able to reach the 28 games that they have promised season ticket holders.

Hope that the apertura/clausura thing isn't true.  The league should be keeping it simple to start with.  Straying too far from the familiar North American sports model is probably ill-advised.  Not sure what it does for them.

2 minutes ago, ray said:

Hope that the apertura/clausura thing isn't true.  The league should be keeping it simple to start with.  Straying too far from the familiar North American sports model is probably ill-advised.  Not sure what it does for them.

Mexico and most of Cenrtral America do it. It is a North American model.

Archived