CPL Season Schedule

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Single knock-out makes sense in England, where fixtures are terribly tight (24 teams in many lower divisions). And where away supporters can travel. 

For us, it only makes sense if the match is held in the stadium of the lower division team, automatically. 

Otherwise, if it's a pure draw, tell me that we are going to do single match knock-outs, and Victoria has to play in Toronto one year, then away to Halifax, the third year away to Impact.

You are proposing that a CPL team could spend literally years before its fans see a Voyageur's Cup match? Or that TFC has to play at home vs. a team its fans are not overly excited about seeing, with a weaker gate, and the CPL team fans have no chance to see a top MLS side and dream of taking it down?

Those are scenarios I have considered, and I realize there are pluses and minuses to single knockout as well as two legged ties. The plus to two legged ties against a more prestigious team is that not only do you get to play against a relatively big crowd (even a very small crowd for an MLS team would be very big for a D3 team for example) but you also get to host that big team as well and likely get your biggest home crowd as well. The plus to single knockout for the smaller teams is that it increases the chances of upsets. If you only have to catch them by surprise one time, and potentially at home, that’s a lot easier than if the favoured team gets a second chance to course correct.

So yeah, I know there are downsides to single knockout, but there are also downsides to two legged ties (fixture congestion of course as well as what I already talked about). I don’t feel all that strongly one way or the other but I have a slight preference for single knockout for the unpredictability of it plus it would make those rarer home games more special. To me it’s a less important detail than having CPL teams enter the tournament at the same time as MLS teams.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

We know we're getting games on Canada day and that teams will have the CPL red logo for that day.

Best to avoid the time slot:

• CFL - Argos @ RoughRiders : 8pm (AST) / 7pm (ET) / 6pm (CT) / 5pm (MT) / 4pm (PT)
  • MLB - Royals @ Blue Jays : 2pm (AST) / 1pm (ET) / 12pm (CT) / 11am (MT) / 10am (PT)

*MLS will have skipped Canada day yet again, no games

I'm guessing the following just for fun:

CANADA DAY

3 Games schedule

HFX Wanderers vs. York 9 FC -->Time : 11am (AST) / 10am (ET) / 9am (CT) / 8am (MT) / 7am (PT)

• No one miss the Blue Jays game nationwide (Opportunity of spotlight on CPL)
  • No one miss the CFL Canada Day game nationwide (Opportunity of spotlight on CPL)
  • Coast to Coast (see last game)

Forge FC vs. Valour  --> Time : 6pm (AST) / 5pm (ET) / 4pm (CT) / 3pm (MT) / 2pm (PT)

• Possible overlapping with CFL but not by much
  • Biggest Stadium, better for TV than York 9
  • Better chance of packing the stadium and being watched locally on TV than York 9

Pacific vs. Cavalry -->Time : 11:30pm (AST) / 10:30 (ET) / 9:30pm (CT) / 8:30pm (MT) / 7:30pm (PT)

• No one miss the CFL Canada Day game nationwide (Opportunity of spotlight on CPL)
  • Saves Al Classico for a day with no CFL or MLB
  • Alberta vs. British Columbia
  • Opportunity to draw the mainland TV viewers or/and attract spectators
  • Coast to Coat (see first game)

2 Games schedule

HFX Wanderers vs. York 9 FC -->Time : 11am (AST) / 10am (ET) / 9am (CT) / 8am (MT) / 7am (PT)

• Hard to imagine the league not highlighting a "Toronto" area team
  • Coast to Coast (see last game)

NO GAME - Forge FC vs. Valour  --> Time : 6pm (AST) / 5pm (ET) / 4pm (CT) / 3pm (MT) / 2pm (PT)

• Risk of overlap with the Blue Jays and CFL
  • Removing this game gives the league more flexibility for scheduling allowing extra time for Canada Day ceremony (if necessary)
  • Both are big CFL markets who might want to avoid dividing the audience

Pacific vs. Cavalry -->Time : 11:30pm (AST) / 10:30pm (ET) / 9:30pm (CT) / 8:30pm (MT) / 7:30pm (PT)

• Saves Al Classico for a day with no CFL or MLB
  • Alberta vs. British Columbia
  • Opportunity to draw the mainland TV viewers or/and attract spectators
  • Coast to Coat (see first game)

**Don't be too harsh, lost half an hour on this

Any other suggestion then? All I can think of is a round-robin for the top three. I think it's worth bearing in mind that David Clanachan's comments probably aren't aimed primarily at people on here who are aware of these things, but to people who view North America as being the USA and Canada and were probably barely even aware that the NASL even existed.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Any other suggestion then? All I can think of is a round-robin for the top three. I think it's worth bearing in mind that David Clanachan's comments probably aren't aimed primarily at people on here who are aware of these things, but to people who view North America as being the USA and Canada and were probably barely even aware that the NASL even existed.

The top-three round robin was my thought as well.

I've also seen suggested the addition of a separate league cup, which we already see with L1O & PLSQ. I think this would make the schedule a little congested, but it could work.

Beyond that, it's a bit of a head scratch.

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I was going to suggest splitting the league as they do in Scotland as a joke, it wouldn’t be al that far fetched to have the top 3 in a round robin and would potentially create stiff competition to be amongst those 3!

why the hate for an a/c set up? it could be great and provide what fans want which is a league break for the gold cup. also if they declare a proper champ you still have a playoff if you do A champ vs C champ (still might be boring for fans of weaker teams)

With seven teams, it would be hard to do a championship round like Scotland/Ukraine/Poland, and there would be no relegation threat to spice the lower end of the table. I think Apertura/Clausura is more likely, as it would be two 12-game seasons. Perhaps the combined seasons winner will win the league trophy, and the individual season winners win get Concacaf League spots.

4 minutes ago, matty said:

why the hate for an a/c set up? it could be great and provide what fans want which is a league break for the gold cup. also if they declare a proper champ you still have a playoff if you do A champ vs C champ (still might be boring for fans of weaker teams)

Because it's totally unnecessary.  We have 6 months of good weather, play 20 odd games and have a winner. Preferably with playoffs, or not if that's what they decide. 

I want one winner. The best team for the year. Not, oh they won this thing, but this team won that thing, and these guys won three months ago but that wasn't actually the end.

Keep it simple. 

3 minutes ago, Tigers said:

Because it's totally unnecessary.  We have 6 months of good weather, play 20 odd games and have a winner. Preferably with playoffs, or not if that's what they decide. 

I want one winner. The best team for the year. Not, oh they won this thing, but this team won that thing, and these guys won three months ago but that wasn't actually the end.

Keep it simple. 

true (i think think we favour the same model) but there isn't anything too wrong with it. also the cpl don't do simple lol

5 hours ago, Rintaran said:

7-10 Days folks!

I wonder what the "something different" is.

I like the first tweet, I'm a bit nervous about the second tweet. My guess would be the Scottish split thing. With the league being so small I feel like there is a decent chance we could have a runaway champion by the time the split happens, depending on how many games they do before and after the split.

Maybe it would be a double home and away when the league is still together, giving us 24 games played. Then split into top 3 and bottom 4. The bottom 4 do home and away round robin, so 30 games. The top 3 do home and away round robin, plus one more against each team (one of them at home, the other away), which again gets you to 30 games. That gives everyone the 15 home games that I think is the number they've been advertising, without including a Voyageurs Cup game.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I like the first tweet, I'm a bit nervous about the second tweet. My guess would be the Scottish split thing. With the league being so small I feel like there is a decent chance we could have a runaway champion by the time the split happens, depending on how many games they do before and after the split.

Maybe it would be a double home and away when the league is still together, giving us 24 games played. Then split into top 3 and bottom 4. The bottom 4 do home and away round robin, so 30 games. The top 3 do home and away round robin, plus one more against each team (one of them at home, the other away), which again gets you to 30 games. That gives everyone the 15 home games that I think is the number they've been advertising, without including a Voyageurs Cup game.

Sorry but the bottom 4 would literally be playing useless games so i don't see it as the league is for 2019

18 minutes ago, Zem said:

His specific words were that it's "something that's different for North America" but "Not something that's completely unique. It's a format that is used in other parts of the world."

https://www.tsn.ca/canadian-premier-league-commissioner-offers-a-look-at-new-league-ahead-of-kickoff-1.1241674

I'd be cautious we looking too far because it's fully possible he's using the definition of North American that separates Central America and sometimes Mexico from Canada and the US.

2 hours ago, matty said:

Sorry but the bottom 4 would literally be playing useless games so i don't see it as the league is for 2019

Perhaps Voyageurs Cup seeding could be at stake for the bottom team(s) forcing an extra round if you finish bottom?

Archived