CPL Season Schedule

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. I really don't want a apetura/ clausura schedule.

Not because I personally care so much, but because it's such a bad look for a league that'll be vying for legitimacy right out of the gate.

It's bad enough they only have 7 teams. Now they want to play with a wonky schedule on top of that?

The average person who watches soccer in this country will look down upon this format.

Big mistake if true.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

I was saying Mexico and Central because that's part of North America

Yeah I know that. Do you know who else is part of North America? The United States. Do they play this format? No. Does England? No. France? No.

Why are we modeling our format like Mexico? Or Costa Rica? Or Honduras? We are not part of Latin America. This is no appetite for such a format in Canada, which I am sure you agree with.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Ugh. I really don't want a apetura/ clausura schedule.

Not because I personally care so much, but because it's such a bad look for a league that'll be vying for legitimacy right out of the gate.

It's bad enough they only have 7 teams. Now they want to play with a wonky schedule on top of that?

The average person who watches soccer in this country will look down upon this format.

Big mistake if true.

If IIRC Liga MX does ok. I agree you're UCL or EPL fans might have to check it up but I don't think that's the issue with the format.

The issue I see is how fucking tight this schedule is without adding a break into the mix. 

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah I know that. Do you know who else is part of North America? The United States. Do they play this format? No. Does England? No. France? No.

Why are we modeling our format like Mexico? Or Costa Rica? Or Honduras? We are not part of Latin America. This is no appetite for such a format in Canada, which I am sure you agree with.

I don't think there isn't one. I have no idea, a lot of those against this model are in the Euro snob camp so maybe it is something that people won't get but again Liga MX does ok here and fans in Edmonton (and Ottawa) have a background with this. I'm sure the format is better known than you're giving it credit for.

I ultimately don't think the format (single table, a/c) will have a different impact on fan interest. Only using a tradition NA model of season + playoffs may

Like I said I think there is a bigger problem to this format than how accessible it is for fans.

Man, it's a severe turnoff for me.... Like, instead of of one whole season that all matters, to create one champion,  two half-assed seasons to get two half-assed champions. It's like house league soccer.

"Who won CPL in 2019?"

"Oh, Forge won the cup in July, but Valour won it in October" 

"So who's the best?" 

8 minutes ago, matty said:

I don't think there isn't one. I have no idea, a lot of those against this model are in the Euro snob camp so maybe it is something that people won't get but again Liga MX does ok here and fans in Edmonton (and Ottawa) have a background with this. I'm sure the format is better known than you're giving it credit for.

I ultimately don't think the format (single table, a/c) will have a different impact on fan interest. Only using a tradition NA model of season + playoffs may

I hope you're right! I'm not as optimistic.

In my experience, those who follow Liga MX, for example, are either Latin American or are just super hardcore into niche leagues (this is me).

The euro snob camp is quite large, and they need to be catered to if the league wants to grow their fanbase.

It's all about optics.

That's why I think they did well to call it the Canadian Premier League. It's familiar to the average soccer viewer (aka eurosnob).

I fear the Aperuta / Clasura is simply too fringe for most people.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I hope you're right! I'm not as optimistic.

In my experience, those who follow Liga MX, for example, are either Latin American or are just super hardcore into niche leagues (this is me).

The euro snob camp is quite large, and they need to be catered to if the league wants to grow their fanbase.

It's all about optics.

That's why I think they did well to call it the Canadian Premier League. It's familiar to the average soccer viewer (aka eurosnob).

I fear the Aperuta / Clasura is simply too fringe for most people.

I've kind of always found the Euro snobs fall in line. Know a number of Snobs who shit on MLS but eventually turned to it because it was the only game in town and became somewhat fond of it. I also wouldn't call them the average soccer fan in Canada, the average watches the World Cup  and Euros cause they own a Germany or England jersey and casually follows TFC or Whitecaps cause it's nearby and see EPL once or twice a season.

I would agree those who follow Liga MX are somewhat cult sized but don't think this is too weird.....just cramped.

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The only thing worse than the Canadian Premier League having an Apetura and Clasura is if they actually call it Apetura and Clasura.

After seeing the CL "qualification" process, this would not surprise me.

I 100% agree with this LOL

Opening and closing is a weird look for such a short season. You can have the Canadian Championship winner play the CPL winner at the CPL ground for an additional cup. The fact that a team can win both opening and closing season then lose in whatever method is used to determine the true champion is suspect. Do you give 3 trophies or just 1 to the eventual playoff winner? Do clubs get to add "half season champions" in a 7 team league to their honours list? 

With A/C you can be the best team over the entire season and not even have a chance to be crowned champion. And if the same team wins both "seasons" do they play themselves in the "Super Cup"? What absolute cretin came up with such a stupid system and why on earth would CPL even consider it?

UGH.

2 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

With A/C you can be the best team over the entire season and not even have a chance to be crowned champion. And if the same team wins both "seasons" do they play themselves in the "Super Cup"? What absolute cretin came up with such a stupid system and why on earth would CPL even consider it?

Not if they do it like the NASL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_North_American_Soccer_League_season

and Tom Fath would be a prime suspect on suggesting this spring and fall season format having been involved with that.

29 minutes ago, matty said:

I've kind of always found the Euro snobs fall in line. Know a number of Snobs who shit on MLS but eventually turned to it because it was the only game in town and became somewhat fond of it. I also wouldn't call them the average soccer fan in Canada, the average watches the World Cup  and Euros cause they own a Germany or England jersey and casually follows TFC or Whitecaps cause it's nearby and see EPL once or twice a season.

I would agree those who follow Liga MX are somewhat cult sized but don't think this is too weird.....just cramped.

I 100% agree with this LOL

I can accept that definition of "average fan", but those people would even be more confused than the Euro Snob crowd. Anyone fitting that description surely has never heard of Apetura or Clasura.

2 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

UGH.

I want to put a freebasing gif but couldn't find a good one

Just now, Obinna said:

I can accept that definition of "average fan", but those people would even be more confused than the Euro Snob crowd. Anyone fitting that description surely has never heard of Apetura or Clasura.

Honestly, I think if you explained it once and said it was the Latin system they'd be like "that's weird but whatevers." and then watch because it's there

6 minutes ago, matty said:

Honestly, I think if you explained it once and said it was the Latin system they'd be like "that's weird but whatevers." and then watch because it's there

Perhaps.

But why play with a weird format? Why make things complicated? 

If there are pragmatic reasons that are forcing their hand, that's one thing. But unless I missed something, I see no good pragmatic reason to be weird and split the season up like this.

Just now, Obinna said:

Perhaps.

But why play with a weird format? Why make things complicated? 

If there are pragmatic reasons that are forcing their hand, that's one thing. But unless I missed something, I see no good pragmatic reason to be weird and split the season up like this.

You guess is as good as mine. The number of games was already weird 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Good thing there is transparency and everyone is on the same page and nobody has to guess because things are so clear and obvious.

Thanks CPL & CSA!

It is turning into a shit show. Not good.

That fucking Apertura/Clausura tweet has totally ruined my day.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I personally don't hate the idea. But it will make it even harder to explain to a casual fan how the system works. It's hard enough to get some people into soccer, much less explaining a system that they don't understand. I really don't see any advantage to using it.

This is where I'm at. I think it could be good if it's done right. But trying to get casual fans to understand it could be difficult.

I already think the Canadian Championship going on during the same time as the reg season is already going to cause some confusion for casual fans trying to follow CPL. "Wait what is this? Is the CPL final? Why is TFC playing in the CPL?"

Having a split season (especially in such a short playing window) just adds an extra layer of complexity on top of that again.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What will being spring champion lead to? A seeding in the Voyageurs cup? Think all it does is provide two Supporters Shield type winners that nobody gets particularly excited about at the time or remembers a couple of years down the road.

But wouldn't the spring champion be determined after the Voyageurs Cup? 

CPL HQ

The CPL's Spy on the V Forums, BBTB, runs as fast as he can into the boardroom. David Clanachan, Paul Beirne, and Jim Easton look to him

BBTB: Guys, bad news everyone hates the format we picked!

Clanachan: Damn! We spent months on that. Oh well better cancel the first game and redraw the schedule. Pandering to these internet dwebs is stressing.

BBTB head back to his computer

Beirne: Hey BBTB!

BBTB turns to look at Beirne

Bernie: Thanks for figuring out which ideas those fans hate. I know it's a pain

BBTB: It really is no trouble sir (he says as he turns away with a soft smile on his face)

3 hours ago, matty said:

Anyone else not "get" why they committed to a 28 game season if they season was going to last like 26 weeks? Even with the Fury this choice is weird.

With 8 teams, everybody would have played everybody else twice at home and twice away. It would have been a normal league doubled. That would have been perfect -- with 8 teams.

Archived