CPL General

3 hours ago, matty said:

You're logic was that people excepting 2018 was foolish because of PB never said it but we have have a pair of other confirmed inside sources said 2018 was the goal and one had it's info leaked say launch in July 2018.

McGrane has presented a much different version that PB has of what the league itself will be. PB's is smaller scale than McGrane's.

Yea that's why it's called a leak. They contained a lot of what appeared to be concrete plan for the 2018 soft launch.

The V leaked it and named Sandon publicly. Both floated publicly for hours and grained traction both here and on Reddit. It got bad enough that Sandor should have commented because it got far enough. The fact he didn't hurts his cred.

My point on this is not that there is no good sources at the current time from the blogging world. Sandor (who I would say is the best source for FCE news) took a real hit here. Should view that as support for your blog comment somewhat.

BTW we all know why it disappeared. Because the V realised he made a mistake after being told he had fucked out by another user. I believe the quote was "Way to throw him (Sandor) under the bus you fucking idiot"

Well I do not think we are that far apart on this to be fair. I think having Paul Beirne state over and over that 2018 is the goal but if they are not ready that they will launch in 2019 and then having stated, leaked, or otherwise released information say 2018 may seem slightly misleading but is not really much of a shock. If they are aiming for 2018 why would they put anything else on a presentation? If you think that qualifies as logic falling apart then you are entitled to your opinion and I likely will not convince you otherwise. 

As for the disappearing information, you do not know why it disappeared and it is not at all for the reason that you think. It was a very unfortunate incident, but also a lesson in who and who not to trust. 

24 minutes ago, Soefeia said:

Well I do not think we are that far apart on this to be fair. I think having Paul Beirne state over and over that 2018 is the goal but if they are not ready that they will launch in 2019 and then having stated, leaked, or otherwise released information say 2018 may seem slightly misleading but is not really much of a shock. If they are aiming for 2018 why would they put anything else on a presentation? If you think that qualifies as logic falling apart then you are entitled to your opinion and I likely will not convince you otherwise. 

As for the disappearing information, you do not know why it disappeared and it is not at all for the reason that you think. It was a very unfortunate incident, but also a lesson in who and who not to trust. 

I agree that 2019 was always possible and the 2018 was never a lock but do take issue with the way you commented earlier. It felt insulting to a good number of people who had faith in the 2018 soft launch happening based on reasonably evidence. 2018 seems dead most have accepted that and moved on.

Also unless there are CPL men in black, I have a pretty good idea why the MLSwriters Twitter removed it's Tweet not so much why it totally seems to have gone offline unless everything about it was a total lie, which if it was the case Sandor totally should have commented on the matter, and CPL men in black are real.

Also tell horror stories. I like horror stories (see my podcast post)

BTW I don't mean fun Will Smith men in black, I mean men in black like how the men in lback were involved in Mothman http://weekinweird.com/2012/09/11/mothman-man-called-cold/

Edited by matty

53 minutes ago, matty said:

BTW I don't mean fun Will Smith men in black, I mean men in black like how the men in lback were involved in Mothman 

http://weekinweird.com/2012/09/11/mothman-man-called-cold/

I would click on it but I don’t want to venture off into that weird part of the internet tonight.

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

Alright, so I'm just going to set everyone except Soefeia on ignore now.  Please don't take it personally y'all.

images.jpg.de16fa67df8be525ef99e1ae05352aab.jpg

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

I would click on it but I don’t want to venture off into that weird part of the internet tonight.

If you read the actual details of the Mothman case, you'll come to accept it might be the greatest event in American history.

9 hours ago, Soefeia said:

...One other general point not related directly to you, Blizz, is that groups wanting to use a facility on private land or in a facility already zoned for sports or entertainment have much fewer hoops to jump through in regards to establishing themselves. You have not heard much about some locations simply because they need far fewer permissions. 

I had a pet speculative theory a couple of months back about a GTA team playing at the OSA Soccer Centre to make up the numbers for a 2018 launch that met with mixed reviews on here. Can definitely see how that scenario could happen.

3 hours ago, BradMack said:

I missed the Sandor thing... What happened?If someone could help me out I would very much appreciate being filled in, even over personal msg if the info shouldn't be on the board. 

Revolved around there being a Calgary team from what I remember. Not the Stampeders and would play at a location just south of the city. Presumably a new pop-up.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

On the topic of the 60-90 days mentioned on May 6th. Yes, they didn't say that they would announce new teams in that timeline, but it seems very likely. Paraphrasing below for effect.

"Today we are announcing that we have sanctioned the bids of two teams to join the CPL!!! And in the next 60-90 days we should finalize the sanctioning of more bids!"

If the first ones warranted an announcement then of course some people are going to assume the next ones will too.

18 minutes ago, Red Renaissance said:

Calgary CPL will play at Spruce Meadows, they will be operated by the owners of those grounds

The owners profile:

Net worth: $2.3B

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists-and-rankings/richest-people/rich-100-ronald-southern/7

True or not, the league keeps being linked to prospective ownership that fit Montagliani's early profile: Deep pockets

Edited by Ansem

51 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Man somehow missed all that Calgary stuff.  Interesting for sure

It should be noted that it was and is debatable whether it should be taken seriously or not as the source was a v claiming to have been told by sandor. The Tweet was deleted but as aid was up for a while and gained enough attention it warranted a comment, likely a denial, from sandor which to my knowledge never happened.

Edited by matty

56 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Raises the question of whether they could use the showjumping venue:

Spruce-Meadows-02.jpg

If the ownership rumours are true why would they put a soccer field on their showjumping field? It's a world class facility and is the site for many events. The family owns 360 acres at this site and if the talk of modular stadiums is true it would make sense to install one somewhere on the property.

10 minutes ago, matty said:

It should be noted that it was and is debatable whether it should be taken seriously or not as the source was a v claiming to have been told by sandor. The Tweet was deleted but as aid was up for a while and gained enough attention it warranted a comment, likely a denial, from sandor which to my knowledge never happened.

There are only so many potential reasons for that to have happened. I know those reasons, but I completely understand if you do not believe that I do as I have not provided any credentials. I will not provide any so you will just have to judge what I say as we go forward and if I continue to post. 

If I have at least raised the possibility that the source of the information that was leaked was not reported accurately and that its subsequent removal was not necessarily for the reasons that you concluded, then that will have to suffice. 

And just to be clear, I am not debating whether or not it was true information, only the way in which it was received and why it was removed. And to make one further point, this is a perfect example of why the CPL is very careful with information. Thankfully, all of this will come out eventually and you will all know the truth of the matter. 

8 minutes ago, Soefeia said:

There are only so many potential reasons for that to have happened. I know those reasons, but I completely understand if you do not believe that I do as I have not provided any credentials. I will not provide any so you will just have to judge what I say as we go forward and if I continue to post. 

If I have at least raised the possibility that the source of the information that was leaked was not reported accurately and that its subsequent removal was not necessarily for the reasons that you concluded, then that will have to suffice. 

And just to be clear, I am not debating whether or not it was true information, only the way in which it was received and why it was removed. And to make one further point, this is a perfect example of why the CPL is very careful with information. Thankfully, all of this will come out eventually and you will all know the truth of the matter. 

That's fine you don't have to and the tweet was always somewhat suspect but can't be thrown out just because it was deleted due to how far it got and it was never commented on.

The biggest issue is that due to everyone's avoidance of being public even when it's at the point it's needed is that false or questionable info is allowed to float. I hope you can understand why people cling to info on this story or read to much into.

BTW nice Men in Black ;) 

Edited by matty

19 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

If the ownership rumours are true why would they put a soccer field on their showjumping field? It's a world class facility and is the site for many events. The family owns 360 acres at this site and if the talk of modular stadiums is true it would make sense to install one somewhere on the property.

There's also loads of empty land in the area, unless Calgary's sprawl has managed to eat it up since I was there. Hard to imagine a reason to locate it on the property unless the family was directly involved

Not saying the rumour is true, just saying that I'd have a hard time seeing a prestigious show jumping venue risking ruining the facility with the unwashed soccer masses and cleats. But it could seem plausible that the group would put a modular stadium down on a different part of the property 

Might be risky to do so though. IIRC the area is pretty isolated, no real connection to the core. Any Calgarians able to comment if that's changed? 

Edited by Complete Homer