Kadeisha Buchanan

shermanator

Didn't see a catch all thread for Kadeisha Buchanan, so I'm starting a new one. Anyways, it's being reported that she has signed with Olympique Lyonnais. Haven't seen anything official just yet, but if true, it would be a great spot for one of the world's best CB's, good to get more money than what would be available in NWSL.

16 hours ago, rkomar said:

and she didn't get a single vote in our female player of the year poll.  It seems that we put too much emphasis on scoring or setting up goals.

I don't know if I agree with that. We did pick her as our player of the year last year after all.  She was mostly good this year, but she had some off moments for Canada.  If I was asked to pick a top 5, I likely would have included her, but she wasn't one of our top 3 players this year and that is why she didn't get any votes.

17 hours ago, rkomar said:

and she didn't get a single vote in our female player of the year poll.  It seems that we put too much emphasis on scoring or setting up goals.

Her so so performance at the Olympics sealed her fate with the Voyageurs. It was probably first time we had seen her show any weakness on the pitch. Ashley on the other hand had some flashy performances. 

But Buchanan has lots of upside - likely to surpass Lawrence over time. As Herdman correctly forecasted, Buchanan is the next Sinclair and she becomes the 2nd Canadian women to win the award after Sinclair.

I get that she didn't particularly stand out playing for Canada this year, but I thought that all games (national and club) were part of the assessment for the voting.  As MrsC said, she did get picked last year, and I figure people were getting tired of hearing about her and wanted to get behind someone else.  I think I was somewhat influenced by that, voting for Jessie Fleming instead.

On 1/7/2017 at 9:53 AM, red card said:

Her so so performance at the Olympics sealed her fate with the Voyageurs. It was probably first time we had seen her show any weakness on the pitch. Ashley on the other hand had some flashy performances. 

"Sealed her fate?" She had a poor year for the WNT after having a really good one, I don't think we need to get too dramatic!

Playing in a environment with mature and talented women like Camille Abily will help develop her professionalism.

Imagine a training session with Alex Morgan, Ada Hegerberg, Saki Kumagai, Dzsenifer Marozsan, Caroline Seger, Pauline Bremer, etc.  You have to give it to Lyon for their financial commitment to assembling an arsenal like that.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Guardian is slowly rolling out their top 100 women players this week based on voting by various stakeholders including 2 Canadian based journalists.

#83 is Buchanan: Buchanan has found it difficult to gain regular game time at Lyon, although that should be no reflection of her quality. She had only featured three times in the French domestic season by late November but has been a more regular member of the team in cup matches. Despite those frustrations the defender has added two more titles to her CV this year and continued to be a key part of Canada’s defence as they secured a spot at the World Cup.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/dec/04/the-100-best-female-footballers-in-the-world-2018?CMP=share_btn_tw

A situation like that can make you or break you, depends on your fight. Hopefully it's the former. What a waste to have a player like that sitting. On the men's side you're making so much money you'd clean the locker room for it, but on the women's side I wonder if you'd rather just find something else.

11 hours ago, Vic said:

A situation like that can make you or break you, depends on your fight. Hopefully it's the former. What a waste to have a player like that sitting. On the men's side you're making so much money you'd clean the locker room for it, but on the women's side I wonder if you'd rather just find something else.

This is just based on her instagram but she does appear to have been injured for the past while. 

• 1 year later...

She looked pretty solid on defence, but didn't seem to have much confidence on attack.  I think most of her passes were back to the keeper, even with that stacked team up the field.  Hopefully, she makes more forward passes when playing for the CWNT.

Well, she's sitting behind two first string centerbacks, and only getting lots of minutes now because one of them is injured.  Maybe the manager doesn't entirely trust her, and ordered her to be cautious.  They've got Renard, Bronze and Karchaoui to carry the ball up if necessary.  I'll reserve judgement on her spunk until I see her playing for the CWNT.

Since with Lyon - especially in the past 2 years - I have seen she is much more comfortable with the ball.

She can get the ball off an attacker fairly easily without much physical contact. When she was in college, she used her physicality & speed nearly all the time to stop attacks. Offensively, she has started to contribute but this is an area to improve especially for Canada.

Overall, she has become a much more composed player. 

Edited by red card