Kadeisha Buchanan

shermanator

• 1 month later...

ESPN FC listed their top 50 based on current form. Only Canadian is Buchanan @ 33. 

From my count, the top league is WSL (Sportsnet) with 20 players, followed by Feminine Div 1 with 12 and then NWSL (CBS/Twitch) with 8. Spain's Primera with a solid showing of 6 (OneSoccer).

Top countries are USA with 11, France with 7 and England with 5.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-espn-fc-united/story/4338865/espn-fc-womens-rank-the-50-best-players-in-the-game-right-now

and/or podcast

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vRVNQOTUyMDc0MjkwOA/episode/M2YzNmQ0ZjItOGMwMy0xMWViLTk1MjktNDdjMTRiYTVkNjQw?sa=X&ved=0CCIQz4EHahkKEwjw_5_3wMLvAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQjcMD

Edited by red card

12 hours ago, red card said:

ESPN FC listed their top 50 based on current form. Only Canadian is Buchanan @ 33. 

From my count, the top league is WSL (Sportsnet) with 20 players, followed by Feminine Div 1 with 12 and then NWSL (CBS/Twitch) with 8. Spain's Primera with a solid showing of 6 (OneSoccer).

Top countries are USA with 11, France with 7 and England with 5.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-espn-fc-united/story/4338865/espn-fc-womens-rank-the-50-best-players-in-the-game-right-now

and/or podcast

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vRVNQOTUyMDc0MjkwOA/episode/M2YzNmQ0ZjItOGMwMy0xMWViLTk1MjktNDdjMTRiYTVkNjQw?sa=X&ved=0CCIQz4EHahkKEwjw_5_3wMLvAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQjcMD

It's absurd they overvalue the WSL players when you have whole teams in France, like Lyon, that are superior in almost every position. 

I do think that England is probably the most balanced right now, but from Champions results, you have two English teams, two German, two French. 

Barça plays Man City in quarters of Champions in about an hour, midday here, but they are playing in northern Italy, as the Brits can't fly in directly.

Kadeisha against Huitema this evening in another draw.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

20 minutes ago, _Vic_ said:

Barcelona trashes City 3-0 in the first leg.

Scarier is their subs were Hermoso, Hamraoui, Crnogorčević and Martens.

And Sandra Paños stopped a penalty.

I don't think Beckie saw the pitch, odd, they needed goals. 

Hamraoui is a sub this year; if she hadn't been red-carded unjustly in semis two years ago, vs Bayern (I was at that match) I think Barça would have given Lyon a better final. Her toughness is essential for Barça in critical matches.

Martens, she has subbed all year for Graham Hansen, who is playing over the top, fabulous. Martens was injured last year and has lost a stride. For Barça she is not better than Bonmati, Caldentey or Guijarro. No one would even put Martens as a top 10 player at Barça this year.

At least ESPN put Graham Hansen in the top 10.

IMO that list has too much Man City filler--no way those Man City and Chelsea players in the spots 30-50 are better than their Lyon or Barça counterparts. But Barça suffers from being so superior in the Spanish league that it is hard to keep up the competitive edge and gauge the talent--20 wins, no draws or losses, 99 goals in favour, three against. In CL, all wins, 20 goals for 2 against. But as I say, we probably do not have the team to win a final vs. OL.

Paños stop on the penalty was good but the shot itself was a bit ridiculous. Throw yourself off balance in the lead up and then try and strike a ball.

Just MHO but Hansen has always been that good. I've been fortunate to see her play for quite a while and you could see the special quality pretty quickly. She has that silky swagger that people dream of. Ironic she's from the land of direct play and where it's so cold you can't play "touch" football half the year.

Martens kind of died off after she won player of the year, but still like Jenni Hermoso she's a player you dream of coming off the bench. As is Anna Crnogorčević.

Look at the last 50 club games she's played since 2018 and then revisit that sentence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janine_Beckie

Lyon are still a work of art and that game was a joy to behold, but they were gifted their win today. They are at the level of PSG and not above and they're getting long in the tooth. If Barcelona strike first and get their hearts pumping they can change history and send them packing. But that's barely half the battle, then you probably have Chelsea who are the sleeping giant and if they wake up are the juggernaut. Tough they've lost Mjelde though, she's like City losing Houghton.

Not sure who the Barcelona coach is but seeing the guy walking around in an untucked gray t-shirt in a Champions League quarter-final is just so disrespectful to the women's game. Have a little professionalism.

Edited by _Vic_

42 minutes ago, _Vic_ said:

Paños stop on the penalty was good but the shot itself was a bit ridiculous. Throw yourself off balance in the lead up and then try and strike a ball.

Just MHO but Hansen has always been that good. I've been fortunate to see her play for quite a while and you could see the special quality pretty quickly. She has that silky swagger that people dream of. Ironic she's from the land of direct play and where it's so cold you can't play "touch" football half the year.

Martens kind of died off after she won player of the year, but still like Jenni Hermoso she's a player you dream of coming off the bench. As is Anna Crnogorčević.

Look at the last 50 club games she's played since 2018 and then revisit that sentence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janine_Beckie

Lyon are still a work of art and that game was a joy to behold, but they were gifted their win today. They are at the level of PSG and not above and they're getting long in the tooth. If Barcelona strike first and get their hearts pumping they can change history and send them packing. But that's barely half the battle, then you probably have Chelsea who are the sleeping giant and if they wake up are the juggernaut. Tough they've lost Mjelde though, she's like City losing Houghton.

Not sure who the Barcelona coach is but seeing the guy walking around in an untucked gray t-shirt in a Champions League quarter-final is just so disrespectful to the women's game. Have a little professionalism.

I'd say it's only disrespectful to the women's game if the same guy would wear a suit for a men's Champions League game. He may just be an ultra-casual slop, for all we know.

9 minutes ago, _Vic_ said:

Most men feel above the women's game. Men are guests in the women's game. When you go to your neighbours for Christmas dinner you don't go dressed like a slop.

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on this forum.

Barça coaches don't have a dress code, never did. Most of the youth teams they wear sweats, and often first team. But Cortès, I'm not sure what his deal is, but no one is going to bother a guy who's undefeated with 120+ goal difference. 

Edit: I wanted to look at this more, as there was an insinuation of Corté not respecting the women's game. He is 34 and has only ever coached first girls then women; he was Catalonia youth coach, and then a tactical analyst for Barça before being hired in 2019. So he is not even coming from the men's game to the women's. 

Dress style: he happens to be from a very rural part of Catalonia, agricultural, where things are not very spiffy in general.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Barça coaches don't have a dress code, never did. Most of the youth teams they wear sweats, and often first team. But Cortès, I'm not sure what his deal is, but no one is going to bother a guy who's undefeated with 120+ goal difference. 

Edit: I wanted to look at this more, as there was an insinuation of Corté not respecting the women's game. He is 34 and has only ever coached first girls then women; he was Catalonia youth coach, and then a tactical analyst for Barça before being hired in 2019. So he is not even coming from the men's game to the women's. 

Dress style: he happens to be from a very rural part of Catalonia, agricultural, where things are not very spiffy in general.

I just Googled Barcelona coach and scrolled the first 1000 photos and they're either in a suit, a dress coat, a dress shirt, a sweater and collared shirt, or team gear.

I just did the same with Lluís Cortés and discovered he usually wears team gear but also jackets, collared shirts, sweaters, etc. Sounds like he is legit and a great young coach who just made an odd game-day wardrobe choice.

The big move on now all over the world is to try and end-to-end professionalize the women's game. I have never seen a coach dressed like this in a post-match interview in a men's Champions League quarter-final interview.

urx7ysvy-720.jpg

I hope he continues his upward trajectory and gets to a men's QF and wears the same thing and sets a new standard, who knows maybe it is his lucky shirt.

46 minutes ago, _Vic_ said:

I just Googled Barcelona coach and scrolled the first 1000 photos and they're either in a suit, a dress coat, a dress shirt, a sweater and collared shirt, or team gear.

I just did the same with Lluís Cortés and discovered he usually wears team gear but also jackets, collared shirts, sweaters, etc. Sounds like he is legit and a great young coach who just made an odd game-day wardrobe choice.

The big move on now all over the world is to try and end-to-end professionalize the women's game. I have never seen a coach dressed like this in a post-match interview in a men's Champions League quarter-final interview.

urx7ysvy-720.jpg

I hope he continues his upward trajectory and gets to a men's QF and wears the same thing and sets a new standard, who knows maybe it is his lucky shirt.

If you were saying this about a women's dress it'd be so outrageously sexist you'd be banned from the board. 

• 8 months later...
On 12/14/2021 at 10:46 PM, red card said:

Buchanan only Canadian of 23 nominees for FIFPRO World 11.

All of these best women players list seem to be all over the place. Not enough of an echo system for majority to be aware of the real merits of any player. Surprised Lawrence wasn't a nominee.

Of the many lists we've seen over the past days and weeks, this is probably the worst. I'd say the Ballon d'Or was probably the most accurate, as it showed diversity and how hard the voting was this year. 

If I get some time I'd be nice to collate all these end of season awards, including IFFHS.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Rumoured that Kadeisha has received a major offer from Real Madrid. To the point that the press is calling her their first "galáctico", that Florentino wants her to be the first signing to try to compete with Barça in the league and in Europe. She's out of contract this summer.

Rumours are that she is making over 30,000€ a month, pushing 400,000 a year; I read she is the 7th best-paid player in Europe.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Rumoured that Kadeisha has received a major offer from Real Madrid. To the point that the press is calling her their first "galáctico", that Florentino wants her to be the first signing to try to compete with Barça in the league and in Europe. She's out of contract this summer.

Rumours are that she is making over 30,000€ a month, pushing 400,000 a year; I read she is the 7th best-paid player in Europe.

Wow. More than I thought! If true, good for her.

( or is that what Madrid are offering? )

6 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Wow. More than I thought! If true, good for her.

( or is that what Madrid are offering? )

That is what I read she is making, between 30 and 35 thousand euros a month. I also was surprised, though I really do not have a clear idea of women's salaries. 

As the Real Madrid women's team is new, they bought out another first division license just 2 years ago, it seems clear they are looking to raise their level.

But if you are paying someone 400,000 a year, you probably need at least 4 million for your entire roster.

BTW there was an interview with Ashley Lawrence in the Barcelona sports press yesterday, praising Barça, I'll post it on her thread (but wondering if she too is looking for an option).

• 1 month later...