The Floro Replacement

matty

3 hours ago, One American said:

From what I can tell, Dely Valdes is free at the moment. He nearly got Panama to the WC, and took them to third and second place in his two Gold Cups. 

True but one of the rumoured big issues with Floro was communication (with players, staff and media) so a coach who doesn't speak either English or French should mostly be avoided atm, especially with a Gold Cup coming up.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, matty said:

True but one of the rumoured big issues with Floro was communication (with players, staff and media) so a coach who doesn't speak either English or French should mostly be avoided atm, especially with a Gold Cup coming up.

He may speak a bit of French, since he played for PSG for 2 season, and he may have learned English, who knows.

13 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Please take your anger and hate at Americans somewhere else.

Sorry Ruffian, but I think this is a Canada forum and there is really no place to tell someone dissing a rival they are in the wrong place. Because they are not. Saying THAT, I'd say, is out of place, and especially in such an authoritarian way as you have.

54 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry Ruffian, but I think this is a Canada forum and there is really no place to tell someone dissing a rival they are in the wrong place. Because they are not. Saying THAT, I'd say, is out of place, and especially in such an authoritarian way as you have.

Saying please is authoritarian to you? If someone is spamming every thread with the same pointless American hate I think people on this forum have the right to speak up. But as usual you have to put in your opinion as if it is fact and I am welcome to disregard it as the drivel is usually is.

1 hour ago, Dr.Dre said:

He may speak a bit of French, since he played for PSG for 2 season, and he may have learned English, who knows.

He may but until we can confirm this we shouldn't push for him. Also we should be seeking someone fluent not knows a bit.

I wonder if we should be looking at a French coach, where English is their second language. The French soccer association has started changing their play, similar to how we have made big changes in the last couple of years (Belgians would also be good). Anyway, since the office is in Ottawa they would feel very at home and I am sure we could find some excellent coaches who would like the opportunity to live in Canada. Especially with all of the upheaval in France.

34 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Saying please is authoritarian to you? If someone is spamming every thread with the same pointless American hate...

Well, I would agree that "authoritarian" was a bad choice of words but your description of mild dissing of our #1 rivals as, "anger and hate" is so far offside it's like watching Clint Dempsey. ;)

And IMO taking a digs at the yanks within the context of a thread is not "spamming". There was actual commentary on the topic in addition to the dig, which while wrong, was on topic. :D

46 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Saying please is authoritarian to you? If someone is spamming every thread with the same pointless American hate I think people on this forum have the right to speak up. But as usual you have to put in your opinion as if it is fact and I am welcome to disregard it as the drivel is usually is.

"With all due respect, and remember, I'm saying, with all due respect. That idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on."

26 minutes ago, ted said:

Well, I would agree that "authoritarian" was a bad choice of words but your description of mild dissing of our #1 rivals as, "anger and hate" is so far offside it's like watching Clint Dempsey. ;)

And IMO taking a digs at the yanks within the context of a thread is not "spamming". There was actual commentary on the topic in addition to the dig, which while wrong, was on topic. :D

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Are you guys actually pretending @Mister215Guy is providing valuable commentary and not a shitposter/troll who does nothing but make shitty statements about Americans and MLS and at times basically implying they are subhumans when compared to Canadians?

Like I "loved" @Mister215Guy's stupid comments but it's always the same thing so it's getting boring so I can see why people are fed up with it.

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Off topic I know, but what would be interesting to know, is why a ex American so pissed off at his former country? 

Cause he's a troll/shitposter that's either actually a Canadian or an American mocking some of us

22 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

I wonder if we should be looking at a French coach, where English is their second language. The French soccer association has started changing their play, similar to how we have made big changes in the last couple of years (Belgians would also be good). Anyway, since the office is in Ottawa they would feel very at home and I am sure we could find some excellent coaches who would like the opportunity to live in Canada. Especially with all of the upheaval in France.

I would like to see a guy like Hervé Renard (He is the manager of Morocco and won 2 Africa Cup of Nations, one with Zambia and one with Ivory Coast) who has experience in tough environment and a lot of travel. I don't know a coach who would be a similar fit as Renard, but here is a potential list of Frenchmen that could be good as our future manager:

• Laurent Blanc: He is free rignt now and he is a decent coach, but he doesn't have a lot of international experience and none from similar region as CONCACAF.
  • Christian Gourcuff: He has a lot of coaching experience, he already played one season in Canada, with Supra de Montréal, and he coached Algeria. But he isn't available right now, he is coaching for the Stade rennais.
  • Alain Perrin: He has coaching experience for club in Europe and in Middle East and he coached the Olympic team of Qatar and the MNT of China (from 2014 to 2016), so we can asume that he knows tough envrionment and travaeling. He coached one year at Portsmouth, so he may speak English.
  • Rémi Garde: He doesn't have a lot of experience and none at international level, but he is free at the moment and he may speak English.

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

I'd be more open to a French coach than a Latin on (not counting Mexican). While not a star coach, someone like Sylvin Ripoll (who coached Lorient for 2 years and was recently sacked) might be worth looking at for the next Gold Cup. Not too costly, coached in a top league and is used to avoiding the worst case scenario.

38 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

I would like to see a guy like Hervé Renard (He is the manager of Morocco and won 2 Africa Cup of Nations, one with Zambia and one with Ivory Coast) who has experience in tough environment and a lot of travel. I don't know a coach who would be a similar fit as Renard, but here is a potential list of Frenchmen that could be good as our future manager:

• Laurent Blanc: He is free rignt now and he is a decent coach, but he doesn't have a lot of international experience and none from similar region as CONCACAF.
  • Christian Gourcuff: He has a lot of coaching experience, he already played one season in Canada, with Supra de Montréal, and he coached Algeria. But he isn't available right now, he is coaching for the Stade rennais.
  • Alain Perrin: He has coaching experience for club in Europe and in Middle East and he coached the Olympic team of Qatar and the MNT of China (from 2014 to 2016), so we can asume that he knows tough envrionment and travaeling. He coached one year at Portsmouth, so he may speak English.
  • Rémi Garde: He doesn't have a lot of experience and none at international level, but he is free at the moment and he may speak English.

While I think many of who you've said are out of Canada's budget range but Garde reminds me of Tim Sherwood who's name has been joked about taking over....by me and 2 other people. Having him under contract for 2017 wouldn't so bad, maybe his record of short term success will lead to a quarter final appearance (which would make him our coach of the decade haha).

Part of the reason I wonder about a French coach is we seem to really underindex in Quebec. Like if you look at registrations and how many end up at Pro clubs and specifically end up on National teams, it seems like we should have more players from Quebec playing. I might be wrong on that, but I know I took a look once and I figured something was happeing to French-Canadian soccer players that they ended up leaving the system early.

A French coach might be able to help with their development and help get some of our good young French-Canadian players to pro leagues, like Holger seemed to help us get some inroads into Germany and Floro into Spain.

37 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

A French coach might be able to help with their development and help get some of our good young French-Canadian players to pro leagues, like Holger seemed to help us get some inroads into Germany and Floro into Spain.

Fair point, I think a French coach might also be able to get some of our MLS guys that want to make the jump to Europe opportunities with top flights in France, Belgium and Switzerland

I would also add nelsen and Robinson to your list due to their work helping canucks getting looks for english teams.

2 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

Part of the reason I wonder about a French coach is we seem to really underindex in Quebec. Like if you look at registrations and how many end up at Pro clubs and specifically end up on National teams, it seems like we should have more players from Quebec playing. I might be wrong on that, but I know I took a look once and I figured something was happeing to French-Canadian soccer players that they ended up leaving the system early.

Yes, I've thought Quebec seems under-represented as well. Another angle I thought might work nicely with a French coach (after you suggested it, I hadn't thought of mining France for a CMNT coach) is the MLS partnership with FFF for coaching education. Add in that TFC has Laurent Guyot leading it's academy, and it seems we are already borrowing from France in terms of educating some of our best young prospects. Perhaps some of these coaches and the players they are coaching would be on the same page.

6 hours ago, matty said:

I'd be more open to a French coach than a Latin on (not counting Mexican). While not a star coach, someone like Sylvin Ripoll (who coached Lorient for 2 years and was recently sacked) might be worth looking at for the next Gold Cup. Not too costly, coached in a top league and is used to avoiding the worst case scenario.

While I think many of who you've said are out of Canada's budget range but Garde reminds me of Tim Sherwood who's name has been joked about taking over....by me and 2 other people. Having him under contract for 2017 wouldn't so bad, maybe his record of short term success will lead to a quarter final appearance (which would make him our coach of the decade haha).

I mean it was quite the record of short term success at Villa, for both.

Laurent Blanc is overwhelmingly my choice from that list. He would also be overwhelmingly expensive, most likely. 

I quite like Garde, he has a great background of experience moving into coaching, last job was a major worry. Could actually see him interested in the Canada job if the money was right. He is culture mad. Apparently didn't fancy newcastle because there weren't enough art galleries for his liking. 

37 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I quite like Garde, he has a great background of experience moving into coaching, last job was a major worry. Could actually see him interested in the Canada job if the money was right. He is culture mad. Apparently didn't fancy newcastle because there weren't enough art galleries for his liking. 

He could alternate between Toronto and Montreal 

Just looked back through this thread and find it funny how popular saying "Fuck MLS coaches. I would rather have [insert random Central American coach here] because I think it's the only way to succeed in Central America." I'm sure if they were to appoint anyone from MLS or Europe these forums would be filled with anger over them not hiring Jorge Luis Pinto or Julio Dely Valdes.

10 hours ago, matty said:

I'd be more open to a French coach than a Latin one (not counting Mexican). 

I'm curious why you would make an exception for the most overpaid and second most over-rated country (behind Brasil) for coaches in latin america?

56 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I'm curious why you would make an exception for the most overpaid and second most over-rated country (behind Brasil) for coaches in latin america?

Latin in general is the wrong term here, I do just mean the CONCACAF Latin nations. I was lazy and didn't use CONCACAF.

If we were to go with a Latin CONCACAF coach then I would go with a someone who has coached in Liga MX (I said Mexican but I am open to anyone that's coached in Liga MX with success) because it is the strongest league in the region and those that work there are very strong. You can call them overrated but in CONCACAF they are the best.

2 hours ago, matty said:

Latin in general is the wrong term here, I do just mean the CONCACAF Latin nations. I was lazy and didn't use CONCACAF.

If we were to go with a Latin CONCACAF coach then I would go with a someone who has coached in Liga MX (I said Mexican but I am open to anyone that's coached in Liga MX with success) because it is the strongest league in the region and those that work there are very strong. You can call them overrated but in CONCACAF they are the best.

I don't see why there's a need to limit latin coaches to CONCACAF only. Someone who has coached club and/or international football in CONMEBOL is just as or more qualified than most CONCACAF coaches.

The best value for the buck in latin america would be a Colombian or Uruguayan, perhaps a Chilean as well. Argentines are the best in quality, but the good ones would be too expensive (like coaching in Liga MX expensive).

This should be the criteria and the point attribution for the position (Feel free to update, adjust and/or modify it, we could then send it to the CSA. :P) and like I said we need a coach with recent experience of coaching, preferably at internation level, with CONCACAF experience or similiar region with a lot travel and poor conditions (weather, stadium, crowd and pitch) and who is at least bilingual (English and French):

Number of years of coaching experience:

• + 10 years; 10 points

• 7 to 10 years; 8 points

• 5 to 7 years; 6 points

• 3 to 5 years; 4 points

• 1 to 3 years; 2 points

• Less than a year to none; 0 point

Last coaching experience:

• Recent to 3 years ago; 0 point

• 4 to 5 years; -2 points

• 5 to 6 years;  4 points

• 6 to 7 years; -6 points

• 7 to 10 years; - 8 points

• More than 10 years; - 10 points

Type of coaching experience (at least 2 years):

• International and club experience; 5 points

• International coaching; 4 points

• Club experience; 2 points

• Region of coaching experience (at least 2 years):

• CONCACAF; 6 points

• CAF, CONMEBOL or AFC; 3 points

• UEFA; 1 points

• OFC; 0 point

Language spoke:

• English, French and Spanish; 4 points

• English and French; 3 points

• English or French; 1 points

I like the idea because hiring for a top job does always require something to keep the group doing the hiring focussed. On the other hand there will always be intangibles that a rubric cannot capture. I note that Klinsmann would ace this list, or close, and I have serious reservations about Jurgen. Assuming a rubric has a place though, I would include a metric for success (cups, titles, wld record, rankings progress).  Someone multilingual with lots of losing experience in CONCACAF would top the list as well. 

Archived