The Floro Replacement

matty

20 minutes ago, matty said:

Just curious since everyone here had a thing for Robinson early on and seems to have a fixation on Dos Santos, what does everyone think of either Vanney or Biello for the role? I'm not endorsing either of them for it, just curious. They do both know Canadian soccer, have MLS coaching experience and CONCACAF international experience as players.

I'd consider Biello the stronger manager of the two. I don't think either of them are leaving their current positions.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, matty said:

Just curious since everyone here had a thing for Robinson early on and seems to have a fixation on Dos Santos, what does everyone think of either Vanney or Biello for the role? I'm not endorsing either of them for it, just curious. They do both know Canadian soccer, have MLS coaching experience and CONCACAF international experience as players.

Vanney to me is a better version of Marc Dos Santos - a bright young coach, that makes good adjustments and coaches at a higher level. I think he also is part of that advanced French coaching course (which is fascinating to me). Problem is, that he is doesn't have the years on a resume needed to take on an international program (yet). So, not ready yet but definitely someone to keep an eye on.

I don't follow Biello as much but suspect (based on the Impact's success) that he is in a similar position as well. Cheers!

18 hours ago, matty said:

I personally don't think much of any guy of their age, any coach with less than a long history of club affiliation, who decides not to coach a club week in week out, and prefers  a dozen matches a year.

That sounds like a lack of ambition in terms of what you want to do as a coach.

This is my bias: when you are young, say from retirement as a player to late 40s, you have to get experience and be close to daily training. Only when you tire of that and have some perspective and reputation are you ready to take on the specific challenge of a national team.

Since it has come up, I'd prefer to see a head coach, leading a CSA team but with little day to day say in how the younger age teams are set up, apart from calling attention to certain kinds of player profiles with the u-21s and Olympic team upon occasion.

I'd like to see us get a coach who is experienced with 3-5-2.  

We have depth at centre back but all our outside back options are either converted CBs or players who are more suited to a wing back role rather than full back.  

I think with our player pool we could replicate something similar to what TFC is doing at the moment.

-------------Hoilett----Larin----------------

-------------Arfield------Johnson----------

De Jong--------Hutchinson----------Aird

-----------Edgar--Vitoria--Jakovic--------

-------------------Borjan-------------------

Obviously we don't have a Giovinco but there's no doubt that Hoilett is a very talented player for us.  I actually think if you compare that to TFC's XI there are a ton of similarities and this is the way forward for our pool.  

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

I'd like to see us get a coach who is experienced with 3-5-2.  

We have depth at centre back but all our outside back options are either converted CBs or players who are more suited to a wing back role rather than full back.  

I think with our player pool we could replicate something similar to what TFC is doing at the moment.

-------------Hoilett----Larin----------------

-------------Arfield------Johnson----------

De Jong--------Hutchinson----------Aird

-----------Edgar--Vitoria--Jakovic--------

-------------------Borjan-------------------

Obviously we don't have a Giovinco but there's no doubt that Hoilett is a very talented player for us.  I actually think if you compare that to TFC's XI there are a ton of similarities and this is the way forward for our pool.  

I like it. If we want to compare it with TFC I guess we got to put Osorio ahead of Johnson though, right? ?

I think a Ricketts/Akindele partnership could yield the same results. Akindele can play in the hole and Ricketts can hold the ball up well. Not bad options coming off the bench.

On the flanks, I think Tissot would be de Jong's backup for now, with Adekugbe waiting in the wings. On the right, I guess it's Dixon, but I haven't seen enough of him to feel confident. Perhaps Ouimette would suffice as a back up?

Big drop off from Hutchinson to Straith/Piette. Got to get that sorted. Maybe that is Edgar ' s new role?

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I like it. If we want to compare it with TFC I guess we got to put Osorio ahead of Johnson though, right? ?

I think a Ricketts/Akindele partnership could yield the same results. Akindele can play in the hole and Ricketts can hold the ball up well. Not bad options coming off the bench.

On the flanks, I think Tissot would be de Jong's backup for now, with Adekugbe waiting in the wings. On the right, I guess it's Dixon, but I haven't seen enough of him to feel confident. Perhaps Ouimette would suffice as a back up?

Big drop off from Hutchinson to Straith/Piette. Got to get that sorted. Maybe that is Edgar ' s new role?

Those drop offs are only if you're looking at it in a simplistic way where each player can only play one position.  

For instance, if Hutchinson was out I would personally drop Arfield into DM and start Osorio, or even bring Hoilett back into that position and start Ricketts or Akindele up top.  

As for the backup at LWB, how about Russell Teibert.. that guy no one can find a spot for?  LWB might just be the perfect role for a player who thrives at fitness and whipping in a decent ball but really can't seem to hold down a spot anywhere.  Other options of course are Tissot, Morgan and Adekugbe... Chung or Levis maybe as well in years to come.  How many true LBs do we even have?  Morgan and Adekugbe?  Those are the only two I would say.  

On the right we could have Ricketts as a back up or even Will Johnson able to slot in there if need be.. Henry as a desperate option, at least he's further away from our box.  Don't forget Ledgerwood, a decent serviceable option.  

Take a 11 man bench for example:  Thomas (GK), Henry (CB,RWB), Straith (DM,CB, RWB), Ricketts (RWB, ST), Akindele (ST), Osorio (CM), Teibert (LWB, DM, CM), Ledgerwood (CM,DM,RWB),  James (CB), Petrasso (ST?, CM?), Bustos (CM) 

So the only problem seems to be that with this formation we would essentially limit the usefulness of strictly wide players/strikers like Bustos, Jackson and Petrasso but I think it's a risk willing to take when you consider we may actually be able to create with this formation.  

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

Kind of harsh for a coach who just got you to the hex. 

Crazy.

T&T player pool is comparable to ours. A couple of decent players who play in some good leagues, a couple of utility players from lower leagues and a few unattached. He definitely overachieved with that team.

Archived