The Floro Replacement

matty

20 hours ago, The Ref said:

For me whoever makes the short list should be an individual who first comes to Canada and looks at all our players so as to become fully aware of what he has to work with.  Then make a decision looking into his own experience to see whether he can do something to improve us as a team and as players.  If he still is interested and feel he can do the job, then he should present a comprehensive and detailed plan short and long terms as to how and what he will do.  Based on that working plan the CSA can make an informed decision.

Problem with that, a sort of quandary of the current state of affairs, is the same guys who are failing choosing coaches for the MNT are now deciding whether the new prospect's ideas are right. I mean: how would they know?

A classic problem in hiring, weak clients are unable to choose good "suppliers". For example: a bunch of city politicians and bright lights want an emblematic new city hall to put their town on the map, but are unqualified to pick the architect to get the building they think they want. So they get an expensive mess, and then boast about it for years, ignoring how they've become a laughingstock in serious architecture circles. 

Maybe the CSA should just admit they are unqualified to properly look for a coach and name an international hiring committee to do it for them (I am only half joking).

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am truly stunned by the willingness to drink from the old boys network pile of puke my fellow dogs are so eager to get at. Stunned. Stop with this MLS business too, IMO there is only one truly quality coach in the entire league, Pareja at Dallas. Most of the rest are pretty damn awful. As for Canadians, I hate it when the guys start chirping in their own favour, like De Vos right now. You have to keep these guys away from the power position, none are near ready for it.

The most logical step is to try to take what is good, growing, positive, and try to build on it. Floro had some very strong ideas and was probably selling us a hard lesson, which we were perhaps too untalented to learn. He was right we need to learn how to be in matches from start to finish and always be competitive, at every second of a game. But he was also outdated in some respects, tactically, in player selection, and in not instilling a bit more confidence in our attacking game. He also brought in many younger players, but failed to improve our youth results.

Basically, you want a technically strong coach with experience and authority, understanding the difficulty of getting a national team to gel. He'd have to put defence first, like Floro, and a system everyone could learn and understand. He'd have to fulfill some more things, like have us play better possession, and build attacks, getting deeper forward in greater numbers and in more control. Set plays need improvement. Giving our strikers more chances to help us.

Likely, he will not be young, most of those find clubs to manage. There could be exceptions. He will not be first tier, we cannot afford it, there is no exception to that. He should probably come with a team, or maybe an assistant, to help with the transition to our soccer-weird culture. He has to also trust some of our CSA people in forming the whole coaching unit.

He should have better English than Floro, does not have to be a poet laureate but does need to be comfortable in the language, which Benito was not. 

I really don't care where this person could come from. But I look at a guy like Prandelli, who was dormant for a few years after Italy and the stint in Turkey, he's almost 60. Sure, he is too expensive, but a guy like that, not needing to coach as his economy is solved, in semi-retirement waiting for a decent offer, so family and peace of mind are important and maybe does not need to coach every week. But someone who could want a challenge, and for some, Canada would be a nice challenge. 

8 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

I think we need a young, North American coach that can build around our young core. A coach that encourages attacking football and can connect with our players. Of the realistic options out there, here would be my choices in this order:

1.  Tab Ramos
  2. Mike Petke
  3. Robin Fraser

If you read the American forums, Ramos has been a disaster for the American youth teams. Fraser hasn't done anything of note other than blowing a tire with Chivas USA. Petke only has had 2 good years at NYRB and nothing else. These guys are coaches who may be on a MLS coaching list but should be no where near a national team coaching list.

I prefer no MLS coach unless he has had national team experience. We have had a MLS coach before - Frank Yallop - who bombed. What we'll get with a MLS is largely plain vanilla strategy that will make us look good in friendlies but fail to make the HEX again because we'll again crumble against the Central American teams because of our naivety.

5 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

An acquaintance of mine, who I've recently learned knows a lot about Dutch football, says that Mark Wotte was at the Mauritania match. I'd never heard of him. From wiki it looks like he's involved with the Moroccan FA. Probably nothing, but I do wonder why he would be observing this match.

Probably scouting for the fixture we had against morocco

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Maybe the CSA should just admit they are unqualified to properly look for a coach and name an international hiring committee to do it for them (I am only half joking).

Joking aside, hiring a H.R. firm, that is precisely what I suggested to Kevan Pipe after Lenarduzzi resigned. But he chose to go with an internal committee.

2 hours ago, matty said:

@Unnamed Trialist and @red card your anti-MLS coach stances pretty much flies in the face of what guys who've worked within the system think. Do you guys honestly feel experience with MLS should be a non-factor? 

MLS experience would be a nice bonus sure but it definitely isn't a must.  In fact if we had two options for the job one with MLS and NT experience and one with FMF and NT experience I'd go with the latter, all else being equal.  

The fact is that we're not playing in MLS, the national team game is completely different.  National team experience is a must, without a doubt.  Someone familiar with our player pool and the CONCACAF style is a must.  

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

MLS experience would be a nice bonus sure but it definitely isn't a must.  In fact if we had two options for the job one with MLS and NT experience and one with FMF and NT experience I'd go with the latter, all else being equal.  

The fact is that we're not playing in MLS, the national team game is completely different.  National team experience is a must, without a doubt.  Someone familiar with our player pool and the CONCACAF style is a must.  

I've said previously that Liga MX experience is as good to MLS for this hire. It's the best league on the continent, is attractive to high profile fence-sitters and offers a better understanding of Latin American soccer but MLS is being stressed because that's what a lot of our key guys, and future key guys, are playing in and having someone that knows how to work that style successfully should be viewed as very important. You're also avoid language issues.

You say someone familiar with our player pool and CONCACAF. Who do we of that's a good option that knows both? Not many but we do know MLS coaches have coached and coached against Canadian players regularly and worked with players from all around Central America and the Caribbean.

10 hours ago, matty said:

@Unnamed Trialist and @red card your anti-MLS coach stances pretty much flies in the face of what guys who've worked within the system think. Do you guys honestly feel experience with MLS should be a non-factor? 

Yes. I don't understand what exactly experience with all of MLS' intricacies will offer our national team. I want international Concacaf experience, not MLS experience.

• I would be fine with either LigaMX or MLS. If I were going with current MLS coaches, I would want Marsch or Pareja. Arena or Schmid would be acceptable. Petke would be intriguing, but a risk. Ramos ..... he's not the worst of our the US youth coaches. He might be the best. But I'm not sure that means a whole lot. 

I also like Dely Valdes a lot. 

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Speaking of MLS coaches, Bruce Arena's contract with LA ended yesterday. He could re-sign with LA, but also might not be asked to after two sub-par (by Galaxy standards) seasons.

Personally I can't stand him but will grudgingly admit he might be a good choice for us.

No word on if Arena is a target. They're also NOT looking at random CONCACAF coaches, according to the source (again a soft one) it's focused at this stage.

14 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

They also said that Schmid is not in the picture so that if it's someone with a more interesting MLS pedigree and IMO, they would want either Arena, Marsch or Pareja.

they said CURRENTLY not in the picture and also i want to stress soft source (no idea how involved they are with this) so he might still be at play

Realistically, it will take Sigi awhile to fit into the picture.

In all seriousness, this is a repeat of the Holger-Yallop transition. We had a good manager who didn't work out, so rather than finding a similar or better manager with better people skills, we went with Yallop. Back then, we had no money, but now we should be able to do better.

I don't think Sigi or Arena would be bad choices, but I wouldn't put them on the list because they coached in MLS.

I'd take Bruce Arena in a heartbeat.  How could anyone fit the bill better? International experience, one of the best MLS managers ever.  The only problem is I can't see him sticking around, IF LA was to let him go (which I doubt) another MLS team would be all over him and most likely outbid us.  

Sigi Schmid is obviously a good manager too but he only has international U20 managing experience.   Still, I would have more confidence in him than most options within our reach. 

23 hours ago, Keegan said:

I'd take Bruce Arena in a heartbeat.  How could anyone fit the bill better? International experience, one of the best MLS managers ever.  The only problem is I can't see him sticking around, IF LA was to let him go (which I doubt) another MLS team would be all over him and most likely outbid us.  

Sigi Schmid is obviously a good manager too but he only has international U20 managing experience.   Still, I would have more confidence in him than most options within our reach. 

I think international experience might be a non-factor for the next coach. Could be wrong but it seems MLS coaching experience is the main focus.

Archived