The Floro Replacement

matty

Let's say Bob Bradley gets sacked within the next couple months. Does he end up in the mix? 

No one will touch him in a top league for a while, so his main ambition will be on hold for at least a couple years. The contract he could demand would also take a dive. Returning to MLS would be admitting defeat 

I could see him taking a contract that takes him through next WCQ with some international side. Probably not Canada, but I can see him actually considering a Canadian offer, something that probably wouldn't have happened a few months ago. 

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, matty said:

I think international experience might be a non-factor for the next coach. Could be wrong but it seems MLS coaching experience is the main focus.

If it is it is a huge error. CONCACAF experience is something that could be important but MLS experience should be barely a factor in the choice. 

7 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

If it is it is a huge error. CONCACAF experience is something that could be important but MLS experience should be barely a factor in the choice. 

While I agree about CONCACAF experience, MLS experience is a big factor here. ATM it's the biggest contributor to our player pool and it's likely the best place for us to find an English speaking coach within the CMNT budget.

1 hour ago, matty said:

While I agree about CONCACAF experience, MLS experience is a big factor here. ATM it's the biggest contributor to our player pool and it's likely the best place for us to find an English speaking coach within the CMNT budget.

It's the biggest contributor to our player pool but I fail to see how that translates to the MNT.  Think about it, you are calling players that play in MLS coming to play at the international level.. what does MLS experience as a coach have to do with that?  The fact that they may know the players from coaching them or against them at some point?  That's fine and all but really not a big priority.

Just now, Keegan said:

It's the biggest contributor to our player pool but I fail to see how that translates to the MNT.  Think about it, you are calling players that play in MLS coming to play at the international level.. what does MLS experience as a coach have to do with that?  The fact that they may know the players from coaching them or against them at some point?  That's fine and all but really not a big priority.

Typically when nations hire a national coach they aim for someone familiar with their own league for a number of reasons ranging from being familiar with key members of the player pool and the style of soccer they play to language to appeasing fans. MLS with little doubt fits in with the former three factors. Language is likely a massive reason why MLS guys are getting looked at over say someone like Valdes or Suarez.

While you can say MLS guys don't get Central America, I'd say playing friendlies there is more important than our coach having coached there in terms of our success in competitive games.

50 minutes ago, matty said:

Typically when nations hire a national coach they aim for someone familiar with their own league for a number of reasons ranging from being familiar with key members of the player pool and the style of soccer they play to language to appeasing fans. MLS with little doubt fits in with the former three factors. Language is likely a massive reason why MLS guys are getting looked at over say someone like Valdes or Suarez.

While you can say MLS guys don't get Central America, I'd say playing friendlies there is more important than our coach having coached there in terms of our success in competitive games.

Any good coach can scout a league and evaluate the talent there. Almost none of the teams in CONCACAF other than the US play in an MLS style so understanding the MLS style of play is far less important than understanding the central American style of play and how to counter those tactics. We are getting eliminated not because we can't beat superior teams to us like the US or Mexico but because we can't beat the teams closer to us in playing level in our region like Honduras and Panama. Language ability is important but that does not mean favouring a MLS coach just merely choosing someone who is either a English native speaker or speaks another language but has adequate communication skills in English, ie. better than Floro. If we are prioritizing MLS coaches we are severely limiting the selection pool and limiting it to a pretty mediocre group of coaches. I am also not saying we should ignore MLS coaches either, every coach should be evaluated on his own merit, but we should not limit ourselves to MLS coaches or give an MLS candidate any preference because of his coaching in this league.

15 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Any good coach can scout a league and evaluate the talent there. Almost none of the teams in CONCACAF other than the US play in an MLS style so understanding the MLS style of play is far less important than understanding the central American style of play and how to counter those tactics. We are getting eliminated not because we can't beat superior teams to us like the US or Mexico but because we can't beat the teams closer to us in playing level in our region like Honduras and Panama. Language ability is important but that does not mean favouring a MLS coach just merely choosing someone who is either a English native speaker or speaks another language but has adequate communication skills in English, ie. better than Floro. If we are prioritizing MLS coaches we are severely limiting the selection pool and limiting it to a pretty mediocre group of coaches. I am also not saying we should ignore MLS coaches either, every coach should be evaluated on his own merit, but we should not limit ourselves to MLS coaches or give an MLS candidate any preference because of his coaching in this league.

From my understanding they have have looked around and believe their best options are guys with MLS experience. I'm doubtful they're just going to hire some random under-performing. No idea who they're looking at but I'm thinking it's someone who's has a good background.

1 hour ago, One American said:

IF the goal is to become a global power, then an MLS coach is inadequate. If the goal is to compete in CONCACAF and you don't have a lot of money to spend on a coach, then a quality MLS coach looks like a better option. 

This is the best way to put it.

On 11/9/2016 at 3:46 PM, Grizzly said:

We are getting eliminated not because we can't beat superior teams to us like the US or Mexico but because we can't beat the teams closer to us in playing level in our region like Honduras and Panama.

This.  These are the guys we have to beat.  This needs to be the game plan.  

It will be hugely underwhelming either way imo.  

We could go all out for a proven coach on the world stage and pay more than we want or more likely we pick another person to take us two steps forward and one back from within the mls circuit. Then hopefully in 5-10 years we might be closers to a top coach for less money.  

What is for certain is regardless of experience (which I hope is plentiful) the new head coach has to be inspiring and have the personality to get the best out of the players and inspire the nations imagination. I hope we will get an update either way soon. 

Klinsmann has had a pretty mixed record as coach, he has had some success but also mixed with a lot of poor results and he has always coached top teams in their league or region. I think his record with the US has been pretty mixed and I think while he can be an inspiring figure for a good team like Germany or Bayern his actual coaching skills are over rated. I am not sure he would be very successful if he was the coach of Wolfsburg or Panama let alone a team like Canada. On the other hand someone with his stature and reputation might be able to do a lot of reforms to how the system works in Canada and attract a lot of funding so from that stand point he might be a good hire but as jpg mentioned probably way out of our budget. And if we had the budget to hire him we could probably hire someone a lot better for that amount of money. 

58 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

And if we had the budget to hire him we could probably hire someone a lot better for that amount of money. 

Exactly. This also goes for someone like Bob Bradley, if we were going to spend 7 figures on a coach there are much better options out there.

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

Do you have any reason to believe he would rather move to Canada than return to Germany?

I think he wants to stay stateside as much as possible and he would not be able to do so if he returned to work in Germany. He's talked about becoming an American citizen, renouncing his German citizenship and his wife and kids are Americans.

Klinsmann has had the US underperforming the last couple of year, including a poor Gold Cup showing (by US standards), a not particularly convincing qualification for the Hex (weak group which included the one true minnow of the semi-final round in St. Vincent - and frankly, a group that now looks even weaker so far after two games of the Hex with both teams from this group sitting at the bottom with no points - and a 2-0 loss to Guatemala) and now a horrendous start to the Hex itself. I didn't see the game last night but from the highlights a lot of the goals Costa Rica scored came from poor organizational play in defense by the US. It's only because of the ridiculously generous nature of the Hex (where a team could start horrendously,, lose a few more games and still qualify comfortably because the margin for error is about 10 times the size it is in the previous rounds) that the US isn't already eliminated - if that had happened in the semi final round to us, we'd be toast. If he gets fired after another poor performance in the next cycle of games, I would expect that his track record is such that Klinsmann would not be commanding a 7 figure salary so maybe we could afford him under such a circumstance - but then it's a question of whether we would want to. With our defensive woes (probably the area we are now weakest) I'm not sure that a coach who can't seem to get the US organized properly would be the guy we want to go with.

It's not Klinsmann's fault. The US doesn't have any talent to compete internationally and only overperformed in the past by grinding out results against opponents that didn't take them seriously. A World Cup without them is much better and interesting and it would be a blessing if the US never qualifies again. Klinsmann would be great for Canada and Canadians are more respectful and open-minded to new ideas and change old habits. Right now with the abysmal quality of American players Floro won't be able to do much either.

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Interesting article in comparison to the names thrown out here for the Canadian Job. Lots of similarities. I would think most American Fans would be expecting bigger name coaches from the World Stage. 

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gallery/jurgen-klinsmann-fired-usa-reaplacements-bruce-arena-111616 

Geez that article named every MLS manager and their dog to replace Klinsmann. I kept scrolling down thinking Mauro Biello's name would pop up. 

Is it just me or does anyone else find Bruce Arena comes off as pompous narcissist?

Archived