The Floro Replacement

matty

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Geez that article named every MLS manager and their dog to replace Klinsmann. I kept scrolling down thinking Mauro Biello's name would pop up. 

Is it just me or does anyone else find Bruce Arena comes off as pompous narcissist?

This is what happens when it is written by someone who follows the MLS and USMNT only. 

It could also be a counter reaction to having a perceived foreigner who looks down on the MLS managing the national team unsucessfully. 

Wait, Marcelo Bielsa is available!?! Holy shit, he quit Lazio 2 days after signing his contract!? If we're going to be talking about guys like Bradley, Klinsmann or some Mexican coaches who would cost alot of money then Marcelo Bielsa needs to be at the top of the list. He was paid 1M Euros at Marseille so we'd probably have to quadruple our coaching budget, but it would be worth it.

21 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

It's not Klinsmann's fault. The US doesn't have any talent to compete internationally and only overperformed in the past by grinding out results against opponents that didn't take them seriously. A World Cup without them is much better and interesting and it would be a blessing if the US never qualifies again. Klinsmann would be great for Canada and Canadians are more respectful and open-minded to new ideas and change old habits. Right now with the abysmal quality of American players Floro won't be able to do much either.

Where do you come from with a post like this?

US has team that should be doing much better in ConCaCaF overall. Klinnsmann has been having a bad time with his coaching choices overall. Of all the time to play a 3-5-2 was against Mexico that made no sense and than he plays J.Jones who just returned from injury. He should of played Klejstan or someone else not Jones honestly. Putting Besler at LB against these teams makes no sense. He's at fault for these two games and it is still early in the hex US can still make it. Now let see if he does get fired or they keep him will be interesting couple of weeks.

Now if he was to get fired, Canada would do well in hiring this gentleman since he would have some fire in his belly to get this team playing at a high level to beat the USA teams in the future. Personally I'm not a big fan of his coaching abilities and I do think if CSA hire him it would be a huge spot light on Canada which would be a plus and a negative that can be debated for on both points. I rather Canada goes after someone wanting this large project in nurturing the team and finding the future players that will challenge the veterans of Canada. Would love to see Arena take over, but highly unlikely it seems. 

Hope that Canada has a coach in place by next month or early January. I want the coach to start with Camp Poutine to check out on the fringe players or unknown players.

I remember that Klinsmann was hired as a consultant by TFC years ago, to help draft a plan for improving the club.  Was that plan ever made public?  It would be interesting to see it, and get a glimpse of the kind of thinking he could bring as a coach.  I wonder if the CSA got to see any part of that?

Ok, super random option, current coach of Egyptian giants Al-Ahly, Hossam El-Badry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hossam_El-Badry
http://www.albawaba.com/sport/hossam-el-badry-named-coach-egypt’s-ahly-third-stint-876952

His family lives in Canada and he regularly flies from Egypt to Canada to see them. He was in Canada in early November. That is why I bet he will apply.

No CONCACAF experience but plenty with CAF with the Egypt U-23s and Al-Ahly in the CAF Champions League games. I'm sure he knows about long flights to play in hot and humid conditions on shitty pitches in poor stadiums.
He's even been shot at when he coached the Libyan Al-Ahly (Ah-Ahly Tripoli)!!!
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/13/tripoli-coach-hossam-al-badri-shot-libya

He would be a highly unorthodox choice but if our only metric is "Find somebody who will bring us a win in Central America" then I'd trust him over Jürgen Klinsmann!

14 hours ago, rkomar said:

I remember that Klinsmann was hired as a consultant by TFC years ago, to help draft a plan for improving the club.  Was that plan ever made public?  It would be interesting to see it, and get a glimpse of the kind of thinking he could bring as a coach.  I wonder if the CSA got to see any part of that?

IIRC, the plan was to hire Aaron Winter and try to implement some of the Dutch philosophy to player development. Sounded good to me, but the TFC experts could probably weigh in with great detail. 

Wasn't a sensible move as you need to have a significantly larger player budget than most of the other teams in your league for an Ajax style to make sense, because it's best for when the other team has parked the proverbial bus. Not sure to what extent it was really Klinsmann's idea to hire Aaron Winter. It all looked like a marketing ploy to keep fans on board after the rate of season ticket renewals had initially been very sluggish.

1 hour ago, rightback said:

IIRC, the plan was to hire Aaron Winter and try to implement some of the Dutch philosophy to player development. Sounded good to me, but the TFC experts could probably weigh in with great detail. 

Here are the details.....

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

3 hours ago, rightback said:

TFC certainly presented it as Klinsmann's report as consultant leading to Winter's hiring.  The report called for entertaining attacking football that would please the fans and lead to on field success.  This was post-2010 WC final between Oranje and Spain, where Dutch playing philosophy was having a resurgence.  Like many clubs, TFC learned that simply hiring a Dutch coach does not lead to success.  Ajax and Barcelona were not built overnight.  

I don't blame the concepts that Klinsmann esposed, but I am leary of consultants coming in with big ideas that diverge radically from what the club has been doing and then walk away once the project begins.  The bigger problem was that Winter and Bob de Klerk were wholly unprepared for TFC and MLS.  They had not done their homework and tried to change the playing style while promoting youth all at the same time. They were constrained by existing contracts and the MLS salary cap, a lack of talent, depth and players suitable for the new philosophy.  

I think if Klinsmann gets fired, or there is even serious talk of sacking him, then all high profile options will be all but off the table for Canada for a while (unless CSA decides to give a coach a seven figure salary)

Honestly I'm thinking their gonna go with a youngster like Petke.

10 minutes ago, matty said:

I think if Klinsmann gets fired, or there is even serious talk of sacking him, then all high profile options will be all but off the table for Canada for a while (unless CSA decides to give a coach a seven figure salary)

Honestly I'm thinking their gonna go with a youngster like Petke.

There were reports that the USSF has had meetings with Bruce Arena in the past few months. I think the Plan B is to have Arena come in (while holding dual duty with LA) and steady the ship until the end of the Hex. What happens after is probably a whole other story

21 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

There were reports that the USSF has had meetings with Bruce Arena in the past few months. I think the Plan B is to have Arena come in (while holding dual duty with LA) and steady the ship until the end of the Hex. What happens after is probably a whole other story

A dual coach for the USMNT?  Not a chance, anyone they get (even Arena) will have to be full-time.  

Regardless of who they hire, I feel the new coach should be in place by March at the latest. They need to be there for the Gold Cup and they need to be able to prop for it properly. Give them a camp or two to see what they're working with.

58 minutes ago, matty said:

I would avoid this list for the most part. No Canadian atm is up to the task.

Hmm.. I would be curious to see what Dos Santos could bring to the program,  but tbh I don't care who, as long as they are able to maintain, and completely change the style of play.  After Floros scared defensive approach to the game, I don't care we need something attackive,  3-5-2 might have to work to change the game.  

1 minute ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Hmm.. I would be curious to see what Dos Santos could bring to the program,  but tbh I don't care who, as long as they are able to maintain, and completely change the style of play.  After Floros scared defensive approach to the game, I don't care we need something attackive,  3-5-2 might have to work to change the game.  

He's a popular name but he's not what's needed right now nor is he what they're rumoured to be looking for (MLS experience). I also question if he would take the position at the current time.

I don't know if a complete change is needed to the style but a greater willingness to call up Canadians who are actually playing regularly in stronger leagues.

12 minutes ago, matty said:

I don't know if a complete change is needed to the style but a greater willingness to call up Canadians who are actually playing regularly in stronger leagues.

And they are?  And your post about not hiring a Canadian is I'm sorry, BS.  People conveniently forget the last coach who got us the furthest and is now in the hex was the former coach of the illustrious Halifax King of Donair.  We had the most recent success with a coach who had the least biggest profile, we can't afford to ignore anybody.

As for the post that suggested SGE, when he coached Mexico his salary IIRC was slightly less than the entire CSA budget.  Not just the senior men's budget, the entire budget funding every men's and women's program and everything else.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

And they are?  And your post about not hiring a Canadian is I'm sorry, BS.  People conveniently forget the last coach who got us the furthest and is now in the hex was the former coach of the illustrious Halifax King of Donair.  We had the most recent success with a coach who had the least biggest profile, we can't afford to ignore anybody.

As for the post that suggested SGE, when he coached Mexico his salary IIRC was slightly less than the entire CSA budget.  Not just the senior men's budget, the entire budget funding every men's and women's program and everything else.

I'm not the only one saying there isn't really a Canadian who is up to it. I think you'll find most share this opinion because we're not swimming in strong candidates. There are a handful of guys who might be worth a look but none who are experienced enough yet.

People didn't forget because it because Hart didn't bring Canada closer than Floro (both were a point behind Honduras and Floro had a better goal differential). If you wanna say "we were within 90 minutes of being in the hex" be aware that fact does not matter.

Canada hasn't really had success since the 2009 Gold Cup (yes under Hart) when a lot of key players were either entering or still in their prime (something Hart didn't have in 2012 and Floro never really had during his tenure). Yes Hart is in the Hex now but that has zero weight on the next Canada coach.

Also the post about willingness is a criticism of Floro's habit of not calling on players who were seeing regular minutes in favour of guys struggling for playing time. I'm not calling that all that's needed but it's an important change that needs to and likely will happen.

Archived