The Floro Replacement

matty

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Meh, i think the communication issue is overstated due to the recent experiences with Floro. Those issues and conflicts had probably more to do with the culture shock of having a hard-assed dinosaur in charge more than anything else.

As far as the short time frame, i think you're paying too much attention to getting a result at the next GC. In the last 16 years there has actually been a negative correlation between GC success and WCQ success. 2000 (1st), 2003 (3rd) and 2007 (SF) saw us flaming out of WCQ in spectacular fashion while the last two WCQ capaigns have been arguably the most successful in the past 20 years. The important thing is to get our top players accepting callups and playing meaningful games together and learning and working with our new coach. The ONLY thing that matters is qualifying for the WC. Everything else is noise.

I'm curious, what Central American coaches are you comparing to those high priced Argentines from the EPL of the Americas aka Liga MX? (making 7 figures so we can't afford them anyways). Forget Dely Valdes, he's not proven or experienced enough. Guimaraes and Maradiaga are affordable options, you can't compare them to coaches making 3 or 4, maybe even up to 10 times their salary.

As for them adapting faster i doubt that. Liga MX and Argentine Primera are full of smaller, faster, skillful players; alot less similar than the Colombian or Uruguayan leagues.

I think it was a mix but I have heard talking with him was an issue for a number of guys and his limited English was a big part of that. If the CSA says "meh" to that might be a big mistake.

WCQ is 4 years away and the next Gold Cup is the last meaningful soccer (in the FIFA rankings) Canada will play before they start, a strong showing there could help Canada in getting a bye to the third round of qualifying (assuming the changes people are wanting are not in place in time for 2022). Even if it doesn't, it's a boost for morale that the CanMNT needs right now.

Every coach with CONCACAF experience that people (including you) are randomly throwing out there and saying "this guy might work". A lot of guys might work and some cost a lot more than others and yes money will stop us from signing some and the guys that are affordable are not necessarily the best for "weaker" teams looking to improve like Canada (Maradiaga time with national team sides since leaving Honduras for example)

I get it you don't agree with me and that's fine but don't act like I'm off my rocker because I think we'd benefit more from a MLS coach than a coach from Central America and that the next Gold Cup should be viewed as important for Canada.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, matty said:

Every coach with CONCACAF experience that people (including you) are randomly throwing out there and saying "this guy might work". A lot of guys might work and some cost a lot more than others and yes money will stop us from signing some and the guys that are affordable are not necessarily the best for "weaker" teams looking to improve like Canada (Maradiaga time with national team sides since leaving Honduras for example)

I get it you don't agree with me and that's fine but don't act like I'm off my rocker because I think we'd benefit more from a MLS coach than a coach from Central America and that the next Gold Cup should be viewed as important for Canada.

I am partly taking you to task because i find your repeated use of the word "random" to be derogatory when describing latin coaches. There are a few latin coaches that have been repeatedly brought up that are well known, proven soccer men who are excellent candidates and would likely do a great job. I think you're actually making yourself look bad by belittling these candidates by describing them as random.

Now, I am open minded, it doesn't matter to me whether we hire a Latino, American or European as long as the person hired is the best the CSA could find within their budget. If we can get Arena, Rueda or someone of similar quality that's all we can ask for. Pushing for strictly a coach with MLS experience is unnecessarily restrictive and a suspect strategy to attain the best possible candidate.

So @matty is saying we need an American coach that people will think the CSA paid WAAYYY too much for and nobody will "get" his abstract tactics. :lol: A coach with a Voice of Fire!

Now that I think about it, if the work of art is worth more than 40 million, we should get the Feds to sell it and ask them to build a soccer-specific stadium in Iqaluit with the proceeds! Then we can't lose at home! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_Fire

28 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I am partly taking you to task because i find your repeated use of the word "random" to be derogatory when describing latin coaches. There are a few latin coaches that have been repeatedly brought up that are well known, proven soccer men who are excellent candidates and would likely do a great job. I think you're actually making yourself look bad by belittling these candidates by describing them as random.

Now, I am open minded, it doesn't matter to me whether we hire a Latino, American or European as long as the person hired is the best the CSA could find within their budget. If we can get Arena, Rueda or someone of similar quality that's all we can ask for. Pushing for strictly a coach with MLS experience is unnecessarily restrictive and a suspect strategy to attain the best possible candidate.

To my knowledge i only used random in that one post and i used to because at times it has seemed like people were looking at who has managed central american teams at recent times of success. Im not trying to belittle them but I'm saying there's a fair bit of "how about x" without giving reason.

I think everyone is on the same page when it comes to hiring the best coach but there is a lot of fuck mls i want concacaf. I have never said canada should only look at mls but i do think it will offer us a better candidate than most other places.

23 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So @matty is saying we need an American coach that people will think the CSA paid WAAYYY to much for and nobody will "get" his abstract tactics. :lol: A coach with a Voice of Fire!

Now that I think about it, if the work of art is worth more than 40 million, we should get the Feds to sell it and ask them to build a soccer-specific stadium in Iqaluit with the proceeds! Then we can't lose at home! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_Fire

It's possibly worth around $100m. Newman's stuff has gone for as high as 85m and voices of fire is one of his best known works. Most in the art trade agree 40-50m is a conservative estimate for his works.

Watch the goverment uses that money to start a state run cpl team.

34 minutes ago, masster said:

Not sure if this got missed in the hype surrounding the MLS game, but an 'update' on the search for a new manager. Doesn't sound like there has been much progress to me. I wouldn't expect a new coach prior to Camp Poutine.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/11/30/search-still-on-for-new-canadian-soccer-coach

What Montigliani was quoted as saying is not encouraging.  I would speculate that the CSA has not as yet received any serious applications worth considering.

14 hours ago, The Ref said:

What Montigliani was quoted as saying is not encouraging.  I would speculate that the CSA has not as yet received any serious applications worth considering.

The way I read it, alot of agents inquiring about the position, but nothing solid to go from.  Plus looks like a higher calibre candidate (like a Huddink) are not in the cards, assuming some top candidates have inquired about the position.  Looks like the CSA is still trying to find someone on the cheap, with some international experience, which to me is not an encouraging sign.

2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Why  not  Mauro  Biello  form  Montreal

I've seen him playing since he was a bench player when the Impact where still plying at Claude Robillard and I always liked the kid but he is not even close to be ready to be a national team manager. I would think Dos Santos is closer than him.

18 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I've seen him playing since he was a bench player when the Impact where still plying at Claude Robillard and I always liked the kid but he is not even close to be ready to be a national team manager. I would think Dos Santos is closer than him.

I  forgot  about  Dos  Santos

6 hours ago, matty said:

Neither should get the role at the current time. Hopeful someone who gets our talent and has ambition ends up with it.

Why not?

If either were given the position I am sure they would ok, but we won't know unless they get the job. I would love to see a Canadian coach lead the team to success. 

9 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Why not?

If either were given the position I am sure they would ok, but we won't know unless they get the job. I would love to see a Canadian coach lead the team to success. 

Because the CMNT is not a proving ground for young Canadian coaches, that role should be played by pro clubs.

Based on our budget and who we can realistically get as a head coach in terms of experience and previous success, neither Biello or dos Santos can compare.

16 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Why not?

Ugh sick of this coming up again and again but at the current time no Canadian coach is up to date, proven or experienced enough to really be a game changer for Canada and might find themselves in over their head. Dos Santos and Biello have potential but they should be given time to develop more and prove that they're actually ready for the gig (Biello has been a head coach for 16 months and Dos Santos has only coached d2 and 3 soccer and is yet to win a cup, the later fact makes me wonder what keeps Alen Marcina out of these talks).

Let talent develop before you throw them into the most important coaching post in Canadian men's soccer.

If we want to be among the top level of the other countries in Concacaf at the very least we need a coach who is at the level of these other top countries.  Now if we want to be at a level beyond Concacaf equal to other Confederations then we need a coach even far better than that.  If we add to that the fact our source of quality players is limited at best, then the job to get us back up to the surface is even harder.  I don't envy Montigliani's job searching for a coach.  I find it hard to speculate without knowing exactly what he is looking for as I haven't seen a copy of his posting or maybe is just a word of mouth thing.

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

I don't envy Montigliani's job searching for a coach.  I find it hard to speculate without knowing exactly what he is looking for as I haven't seen a copy of his posting or maybe is just a word of mouth thing.

I've heard an MLS coach is high but source was soft. That interview made me think the type of the guys they'd want from there are not really interested so who knows.

Archived