Canadian soccer boss Victor Montagliani is the new CONCACAF president

Ansem

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ansem said:
  • The Canadian Premier League will get the "1st Division" sanction

All excellent and more or less achievable except this one. It will make no difference because the CSA is the sanctioning body so his new position changes nothing in this regard.

If the CSA want the CanPL to be D1 then it will be. They don't and they won't if they want to keep the MLS teams happy.

13 minutes ago, ted said:

All excellent and more or less achievable except this one. It will make no difference because the CSA is the sanctioning body so his new position changes nothing in this regard.

If the CSA want the CanPL to be D1 then it will be. They don't and they won't if they want to keep the MLS teams happy.

Everything that has come out has indicated that they will have D1 sanctioning. So will MLS. It's not like they are saying to take away MLS' status. 

But not to divert discussion. Congrats Vic! 

21 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Unbelievable. He somehow managed to convince a bunch of caribbean minnows to vote against one of their own!

Congrats Mont Vic.

That's damn impressive and much more of a shocker than people realize. This gives me great hopes in the man's ability to make things happen

35 minutes ago, oilers000 said:

Hopefully, Victor will make it so for the 2017 Gold Cup two groups will play in Canada and then two groups will play in the United States. It would be great for soccer in this country if that could happen. 

I'd like to see something like

2017 - USA

2019 - Group stage: Canada, Jamaica, Trinidad...Knockout Stage: USA

2021 - Group stage: Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama...Knockout Stage: Mexico

I guess you could say that Mont Vic Has Reached New Heights B)

On another topic, I'd like to see the list of nations that voted against him. Some serious questions need to be asked of the individuals involved in deciding on their vote. 

11 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Says he has 1 year to step down as csa boss. 

VP Reed will take over according to Duane Rollins

Hmmm. Has Reed been as much as driver with CPL talk? I really think this is the next step for Canada and we can't have someone who will let it fall apart with Montagliani

Edit: somone asked Rollins the same thing, didn't think it'd hurt it. Said CPL is in "dotting i's and crossing t's phase" 

Good for Mont Vic.  As CONCACAF prez, he better get Canada better friendlies than playing Moldovia, San Marino and Faroe Islands.  As prez, you could schedule more friendlies with South American countries.  Now I hope the CMNT gets favourable calls away and at home, as if Geiger acrews up a WCQ game, he has to answer to Vic.  Maybe build a permanent home for CONCACAF in Canada.  When Nicolas Leoz assumed CONMEBOL presidency, he got all South American countries to build the HQ in Paraguay.  CONCACAF should have a permanent home.  Now that he has the power over CPL approval, he better fast track it, rather than waiting 20 years for approval through red tape.

10 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

An open bit of advice for Victor.  Don't do the old Canadian inferiority thing of doing everything for others and screwing us to make it look like you're not biased.  I think Vic does remember the old "reggae?" band incident in Edmonton.  Not to be repeated!

I don't know how many WCQ I went to back in the olden days at Swangard when that b@#%#&d K. Pipe was in charge and we pandered as much as humanly possible to the away team.

18 hours ago, shermanator said:

Next step: Mont Vic brokers Canada's annexation of Turks and Caicos. MAKE IT SO!

I always thought if we ever got serious we could/should make it the 11th province. 

My brother was recently there and came back unimpressed.  ""Dump" was the word he used.  The water was blue as could be but the rest of it looked like a dump from the photos he shot.  Maybe he was on the bad part of the island but he went for a tour and they were wondering what the bad smell was and apparently horses and donkeys crap all over the place (on the road especially)  And shouldn't a tour be showing you the nice places?

I always thought their part of us wanting to take over was education and healthcare, maybe they just want us to clean the place up.

12 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

I don't know how many WCQ I went to back in the olden days at Swangard when that b@#%#&d K. Pipe was in charge and we pandered as much as humanly possible to the away team.

One thing about Pipe though, where I'll give him credit.  I don't know if BMO would have ever got built without his dogged and at times insane determination to keep that project alive.  He seemed to get humiliated at every failure to get the thing built, but he had the last laugh.

18 hours ago, Tuscan said:

I like how all the suggestions on what Mont Vic should do in his new position all conjure total violations of his position.

Exactly Tuscan, Victor should be resigning his current CSA position as quickly as possible, he has moved to the CONCACAF level his job is to work for soccer throughout the region, not to do backdoor bungs for the CSA/BC/Vancouver.

If your a fan of the game and want it to be transparent and above board, don't expect or ask Victor to treat the CSA in any special way, indeed ensure that CONCACAF and FIFA reforms are enforced in Canada, for example ensure each club in Canada ( professional or non-professional ) can affliate directly  with the CSA as is done in most other countries in the world where clubs affliate with the national association directly.

Have all clubs in the country capable of voting for CSA executive.

Develop geographic regions for the game ( ignoring provincial boundaries ) for representative play to a national championships, so the insanity of NWT playing against Ontario in national championships is ended at youth level.

1 hour ago, Trillium said:

Exactly Tuscan, Victor should be resigning his current CSA position as quickly as possible, he has moved to the CONCACAF level his job is to work for soccer throughout the region, not to do backdoor bungs for the CSA/BC/Vancouver.

If your a fan of the game and want it to be transparent and above board, don't expect or ask Victor to treat the CSA in any special way, indeed ensure that CONCACAF and FIFA reforms are enforced in Canada, for example ensure each club in Canada ( professional or non-professional ) can affliate directly  with the CSA as is done in most other countries in the world where clubs affliate with the national association directly.

Develop geographic regions for the game ( ignoring provincial boundaries ) for representative play to a national championships, so the insanity of NWT playing against Ontario in national championships is ended at youth level.

+1 

1 hour ago, Trillium said:

I don't expect him to give CSA/Canada special treatment, but if there's anythings that he felt was unjust towards us he certainly can work to change that.  Those aren't one in the same.

Wonder who is set to replace?

Archived