Canadian soccer boss Victor Montagliani is the new CONCACAF president

Ansem

Breaking News!!!!

http://www.cfra.com/SportsCP/Article.aspx?id=512573 & http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/05/12/victor-montagliani-concacaf-president-canada

Canadian soccer boss Victor Montagliani wins CONCACAF presidential election

Montagliani beat Bermuda Football Association president Larry Mussenden 25-16 to oversee the confederation which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

The CONCACAF presidential vote was held in Mexico City ahead of Friday's start of the FIFA Congress

This makes him an automatic Vice-President of the FIFA Council. Going forward, how will this affect Canada soccer?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Breaking News!!!!

http://www.cfra.com/SportsCP/Article.aspx?id=512573 & http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/05/12/victor-montagliani-concacaf-president-canada

Canadian soccer boss Victor Montagliani wins CONCACAF presidential election

Montagliani beat Bermuda Football Association president Larry Mussenden 25-16 to oversee the confederation which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

The CONCACAF presidential vote was held in Mexico City ahead of Friday's start of the FIFA Congress

This makes him an automatic Vice-President of the FIFA Council. Going forward, how will this affect Canada soccer?

probably direct entry to all future world cups

all kidding aside. good for vic

Good for Vic. I know the ultimate goal is to try to get the World Cup here, but I'll be interested to see if he can use his influence for other, more immediate things. An extra berth in the Champions League, more friendlies in Canada (or just in general), etc.

These are my thoughts:

1-We will edge the US and Mexico for the 2026 World Cup:

• We have a Federal Government who's all in for spending on infrastructure projects and would surely back a World Cup bid. 
  • With the Federal Government all in, the CSA will submit a strong bid meeting all of FIFA requirements (CPL, # of stadiums, Natural grass and all of FIFA crazy rules and demands)
  • Canada never held a World Cup, while Mexico and the US already did
  • Canada held every World Cups except the main one and might I had, we broke several attendance records on the lesser ones
  • Most importantly, we have the President of CONCACAF & Vice-President of FIFA that will heavily lobby for Canada 2026, (I am also of the opinion that the US didn't make many friends within FIFA for exposing them)

2-The Canadian Premier League will happen:

• This will strengthen his pitch to potential investors to get the league going and to stick with it, especially when a FIFA Vice-President and CONCACAF president selling the project.
  • The Canadian Premier League will get the "1st Division" sanction
  • The Canadian Premier League (I love that name) will send its champion to the CONCACAF Champions League, giving Canada 2 spots
  • The Canadian Premier League will get Edmonton FC and Ottawa Fury and wipe NASL off the Canadian map by decisively surpassing that league domestically and within a very short period of time, in quality of play and financially overall.
  • In the long term, CPL could be attractive and competitive enough to start working on luring the big 3s: Toronto FC, Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps

3-Other thoughts and wishes:

• Division 3 mirroring the Canadian Hockey League will happen. They will copy that proven model and make it a success with a "Memorial Cup" tournament which could lead to a participation in the Canadian Championship.
  • Creating a "Division 2":I'm hoping the CSA does not pursue the major Leagues and the MLS model. I'm really hoping they go for a "Promotion & Relegation system" like the rest of the world, which is more appropriate for a country like Canada. We will never have more than 8-9 big soccer markets but by creating a "Division 2", you can have all the medium size markets having a club, competing for a spot in the first division. This would in turn be an incentive for local businesses to invest in those clubs with the hopes of getting national exposure if they do well.

4-National Program: If all the above would get implemented, our talent pool would drastically increase and make our National Team (realistically as of 2026 and beyond) more competitive and more consistent.

Add to my thoughts, agree or disagree to them.

Anyhow, the future is bright for Canada!

This is the beginning: https://youtu.be/ByaizI-2Zzg

3 minutes ago, gator said:

How about if he puts an end to us getting screwed by CONCACAF refs?

I think the CONCACAF Refereeing will be MASSIVELY reviewed! :D 

Also, harsh sanctions against countries that can't control their crowds. (lasers, urine bags, racist chants...etc...)

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

These are my thoughts:

1-We will edge the US and Mexico for the 2026 World Cup:

• We have a Federal Government who's all in for spending on infrastructure projects and would surely back a World Cup bid. 
  • With the Federal Government all in, the CSA will submit a strong bid meeting all of FIFA requirements (CPL, # of stadiums, Natural grass and all of FIFA crazy rules and demands)
  • Canada never held a World Cup, while Mexico and the US already did
  • Canada held every World Cups except the main one and might I had, we broke several attendance records on the lesser ones
  • Most importantly, we have the President of CONCACAF & Vice-President of FIFA that will heavily lobby for Canada 2026, (I am also of the opinion that the US didn't make many friends within FIFA for exposing them)

2-The Canadian Premier League will happen:

• This will strengthen his pitch to potential investors to get the league going and to stick with it, especially when a FIFA Vice-President and CONCACAF president selling the project.
  • The Canadian Premier League will get the "1st Division" sanction
  • The Canadian Premier League (I love that name) will send its champion to the CONCACAF Champions League, giving Canada 2 spots
  • The Canadian Premier League will get Edmonton FC and Ottawa Fury and wipe NASL off the Canadian map by decisively surpassing that league domestically and within a very short period of time, in quality of play and financially overall.
  • In the long term, CPL could be attractive and competitive enough to start working on luring the big 3s: Toronto FC, Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps

3-Other thoughts and wishes:

• Division 3 mirroring the Canadian Hockey League will happen. They will copy that proven model and make it a success with a "Memorial Cup" tournament which could lead to a participation in the Canadian Championship.
  • Creating a "Division 2":I'm hoping the CSA does not pursue the major Leagues and the MLS model. I'm really hoping they go for a "Promotion & Relegation system" like the rest of the world, which is more appropriate for a country like Canada. We will never have more than 8-9 big soccer markets but by creating a "Division 2", you can have all the medium size markets having a club, competing for a spot in the first division. This would in turn be an incentive for local businesses to invest in those clubs with the hopes of getting national exposure if they do well.

4-National Program: If all the above would get implemented, our talent pool would drastically increase and make our National Team (realistically as of 2026 and beyond) more competitive and more consistent.

Add to my thoughts, agree or disagree to them.

Anyhow, the future is bright for Canada!

This is the beginning: https://youtu.be/ByaizI-2Zzg

5. Garber will need something from CONCACAF at some point, and he'll have to go through Vic. Maybe then MLS will move it's ass on the work around for Canadians as domestics

US labour law states you cannot favour anyone based on nationality except for Americans, but apparently they have thrown around the idea of anyone developed in a Canadian academy will count as domestics, regardless of nationality. Maybe Vic can do a little arm twisting and get a large proportion of Canadians domestic status

6 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

5. Garber will need something from CONCACAF at some point, and he'll have to go through Vic. Maybe then MLS will move it's ass on the work around for Canadians as domestics

US labour law states you cannot favour anyone based on nationality except for Americans, but apparently they have thrown around the idea of anyone developed in a Canadian academy will count as domestics, regardless of nationality. Maybe Vic can do a little arm twisting and get a large proportion of Canadians domestic status

I agree and also, if Garber wants to old on to the Canadian Market

21 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

An open bit of advice for Victor.  Don't do the old Canadian inferiority thing of doing everything for others and screwing us to make it look like you're not biased.  I think Vic does remember the old "reggae?" band incident in Edmonton.  Not to be repeated!

Has something like this happened since then that it needs to be a source of consternation in 2016? Maybe the Jamaican anthem singer in 2008, which was still eight years ago.

(It was a soca band, by the way.)

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Wasn't a V at the time, thought it was T&T though? Soca?

Yup, that's why I put it in quotes because I need a refresher as well.  Anyway the visiting team T&T? got the home treatment.  Also another incident, I think, wasn't there an anthem singer who did this over the top rousing addition of the opposing anthem and we got chopped liva (was that in Toronto)

Victor I'm pretty sure came out and said that stuff wouldn't happen again

7 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Yup, that's why I put it in quotes because I need a refresher as well.  Anyway the visiting team T&T? got the home treatment.  Also another incident, I think, wasn't there an anthem singer who did this over the top rousing addition of the opposing anthem and we got chopped liva (was that in Toronto)

Victor I'm pretty sure came out and said that stuff wouldn't happen again

That was the Jamaica WC qualifying match at BMO referred to above!

Victor Montagliani on the Gold Cup and CONCACAF Champions League

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1616/concacaf/2016/04/18/22518142/montagliani-confident-ahead-of-concacaf-election

Beyond the enormous task of restoring the confederation’s reputation that has been severely damaged by the ongoing FIFA corruption scandal, Montagliani’s ‘FOOTBALL FIRST’ ethos includes ways to improve and raise the profile of CONCACAF competitions like the Gold Cup.

“By increasing it to 16 teams from 12, you will have an easier opportunity to spread the wealth a little bit and to develop other markets. It’s not always about just revenue generation, you’ve got to promulgate your product a little bit, and by doing that, you’ve got to develop other markets. The majority of it will be hosted in the U.S., just for obvious reasons, but we (Canada) hosted a doubleheader for the last Gold Cup version in Toronto.

“Why not have a doubleheader in the Caribbean? Why not have a doubleheader in Central America or in Mexico? We need to treat the product not just as a revenue generator, but as an opportunity to grow other markets, which will bode well for the future of the region.”

The Gold Cup may not be the only competition set for changes in the near future. Montagliani confirmed that discussions to move the CONCACAF Champions League to an annual calendar have taken place, as well as other plans to help the development of the confederation’s clubs.

“I think we need to really have a hard look at that, in terms of what it looks like, from a scheduling standpoint,” Montagliani said of potential CONCACAF Champions League changes. “I’ve talked to some of the clubs, mainly in Mexico and the U.S., about that.

“We also need to look at how we bring other clubs in play from other parts of CONCACAF. Is there a requirement maybe to have what we see in Europe, where we have two levels of club competitions like the Champions League and Europa League? Is there an opportunity to do that in CONCACAF, where you are developing other clubs, who hopefully can play in the Champions League down the road? Those are the things we need to look at, in terms of analysis.”

53 minutes ago, Ansem said:

where we have two levels of club competitions like the Champions League and Europa League? Is there an opportunity to do that in CONCACAF, where you are developing other clubs, who hopefully can play in the Champions League down the road?

I don't think CONCACAF needs an "America" league to go with the Champions league. Champions is enough.

Archived