2018 FIFA WCQ CONCACAF Rd 4, Matchday 4: Tues 29 Mar 2016, Canada @ Mexico, 1030pm ET, 730pm PT

Yohan

First time posting since the game on Friday.  Haven't been able to watch the highlights or read any articles for the game today - too disheartened.  I can only wonder how the players are really feeling after that predictable yet unfortunate display.  

I had a bad feeling after I saw that starting lineup.  Like his midfield at the Gold Cup, I was baffled by 3 of Floro's 11 (not that it would have made much of a difference).  Those early chances we squandered... so close yet so very far away.

Oh well, thats all in the past.  Its time game day.  No matter what the situation or odds, as a Canada game nears, an inexplicable belief in this team manifests itself within me. 

The pressure is totally off us.  Lets see what we can do.    

Same starters as last game I suppose.  Same tactics.  Perhaps we can actually pop one in and twist the plot.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

First time posting since the game on Friday.  Haven't been able to watch the highlights or read any articles for the game today - too disheartened.  I can only wonder how the players are really feeling after that predictable yet unfortunate display.  

I had a bad feeling after I saw that starting lineup.  Like his midfield at the Gold Cup, I was baffled by 3 of Floro's 11 (not that it would have made much of a difference).  Those early chances we squandered... so close yet so very far away.

Oh well, thats all in the past.  Its time game day.  No matter what the situation or odds, as a Canada game nears, an inexplicable belief in this team manifests itself within me. 

The pressure is totally off us.  Lets see what we can do.    

Same starters as last game I suppose.  Same tactics.  Perhaps we can actually pop one in and twist the plot.

I have just watched the replay of the match on TSN this morning and I think I was a bit harsh after the match. I will have to blame it on the over consumption of booze. Yes there were mistakes but after watching our guys I thought they played not to badly. Mexico was excellent and should be as 9 of the 11 starters played at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

The pressure is off and I hope they can get some type of a result tonight. Really looking forward to the match.

Go Canada Go

2 hours ago, red card said:

espn analytics pegs Canada with 72% chance of making it to the HEX.

SPI to advance, CONCACAF Group A:

99.98% Mexico (9 pts)
72% Canada (4)
18% Honduras (1)
10% El Salvador (2)

If Mexico and Honduras win today: Canada 60%, Honduras 36%, El Salvador 4%.

No way our odds are that good. I put us at 50-50 right now and about 33% if Mex and Honduras win.

So for this game, correct me if I'm wrong. The MOST important thing is to keep the scoreline close as possible for the scenario in which Honduras wins tonight, wins against us and loses in Mexico and we lose tonight, lose in Honduras and win at home against El Salvador. assuming all 1 goal games that would put the standings at

Honduras 7 pts (-2)
Canada 7 pts (-3)

which doesn't quite put us through. 

So either we beat El Salvador at home more than Honduras does, lose by less than Honduras does in Mexico, or get better than a 1 goal defeat in Honduras. 

I'd say our best shot is be better in Mexico than Honduras. 

6 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

So for this game, correct me if I'm wrong. The MOST important thing is to keep the scoreline close as possible for the scenario in which Honduras wins tonight, wins against us and loses in Mexico and we lose tonight, lose in Honduras and win at home against El Salvador. assuming all 1 goal games that would put the standings at

Honduras 7 pts (-2)
Canada 7 pts (-3)

which doesn't quite put us through. 

So either we beat El Salvador at home more than Honduras does, lose by less than Honduras does in Mexico, or get better than a 1 goal defeat in Honduras. 

I'd say our best shot is be better in Mexico than Honduras. 

It's going to be very hard to beat out Honduras in tiebreakers- we just don't score enough goals. Even if we can match them on goal differential (which will be hard enough) the next tiebreaker is away goals and there's no way we beat them there.

we need a point tonight or in Honduras OR we need SLV to get a result in Honduras tonight. That would let us control our own destiny and make tiebreakers irrelevant

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

Honduras will be playing the Mexican B team. We all know it. We also all know that to make the final six we are going to need a result in Honduras. We have all known it from the moment the draw was made. The only thing yet to be decided is whether we will need a draw or a win.

I dont know it. Mexicos coach is always on the hot seat. They dont take well to losing at home. Let alone to honduras who they hate. Theyd relish an oppurtunity to knock them out. 

23 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

You will soon enough! Mexico will be home free by then and will pick their team accordingly. And if they disappoint, everybody will understand and nobody will be fired.

Did they rest any players thr last 2 cycles?

I believe you guys are all pessimists from experiencing Canada exit so early for years on end. I believe those odds are pretty accurate

Edit: I was more reacting to the lad who said we would have a 30% chance

I love you guys (and gals)!  There is no real reason to be optimistic, but us beautiful bastards STILL hold hope that our lads can pull something off. Yeah, maybe we are insane-as-shit, but I love all of you just the same.

COME ON YOU REDS! Let's give these Mexicans a run for their shitty pesos!

Vive le Canada!

I think that Mexico playing their b team will depend on how they do in the Copa America as pressure is always high for them. If they lose three games in round robin then maybe they'll want to regain that confidence and destroy Honduras and El Salvador in their 2 games in September, I mean that would be a good senario for us.

I have visions of Hume coming in with 20 minutes to go, game all knotted up, the guys bending under relentless Mexican pressure but never breaking, and Humey starts whizz-banging like a freaking human pinball, smacking into unsuspecting Mexican players and creating hell-chaos for a full 20 minutes, the Mexicans upset and confused and sort of dazzled by it all. And when the dust settles, Iain falls to the pitch dead-spent, his team hooting and hollering like a pack of 18 year olds at one of them old-timey brothels, and the score on the massive screen says Mexico 0 : Canada 0

And I will take that bloody result as a massive victory!

Come on, Canada!

10 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm in Hanoi at the moment and I just saw a bus go by and so I immediately thought of Floro.

Was there any buzz about the Vietnam qualifier today?

Archived