2018 FIFA WCQ CONCACAF Rd 4, Matchday 4: Tues 29 Mar 2016, Canada @ Mexico, 1030pm ET, 730pm PT

Yohan

Anything less than 3 points for Honduras tomorrow and they're done. A draw or an El Salvador win sets up a winner takes all final match at home against the Salvadorans, regardless of our result in Honduras.*

*assumes Mexico wins all 3 of there remaining matches.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, michaeltfc91 said:

We are basically through to the hex unless tomorrow goes like this: Mexico beats Canada AND Honduras beats El Salvador.

If that does not happen, Canada will only need at least 2 points from its final 2 games to make the hex assuming Mexico wins out. Only scenario we don't go through with at least 2 points is ES win tomorrow and we lose to ES at home

So basically I will go to bed happy tomorrow if Mexico wins 5-0 and Honduras ties 1-1

I'm with you on this. I really don't see any hope for Canada in Azteca so I'll be closely watching that Honduras-El Salvador game.

I really hope to be proved wrong and don't mean to rain on the parade but if this came down to point total we need to not get shelled. If we walked out with a 0-2 loss that would be okay by me.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Anything less than 3 points for Honduras tomorrow and they're done. A draw or an El Salvador win sets up a winner takes all final match at home against the Salvadorans, regardless of our result in Honduras.*

*assumes Mexico wins all 3 of there remaining matches.

I hope it goes that way... but the assumption of Mexico getting the 3 points on all remaining games is risky according to the past 10 years, although here everybody (in Mex) has the confidence for it, but I am not so sure after everything that had happened last two WC qualifiers... anyway lets keep the vibe on, I really cant wait to see the Canadians in the Hex!

Don't disagree Lucho, but even the most nervous Mexican fan has to think that they'd at the very worst get out of Azteca with a tie against Honduras, right?

I just can't see Mexico losing to this year's Honduras team even if they field their B squad.

Yeah I agree, but we tend to go over ourselves and get too cocky sometimes, that happened to us in the past and end up almost missing Brazil 2014... so i guess is just me and some media that think we should keep the feet on the ground, at the end of the day the Azteca is not that mighty stadium where we were unbeatible... after we lost the first one on 2001/2002 i believe.. it all went down from there....

I actually think if Canada played at the Azteca first then the outlook would be different. The hype and the pressure, of coming up with a performance of grandeur I think might have forced Canada to try and attack Mexico and show something to the crowd. They went away from what worked against Honduras and what their strengths are. I think they will play better in Mexico.

4 hours ago, 1beertapper said:

per bet365, canada is 19.00 to win and a draw is 8.00.     not impossible, but not likely too.. let's hope for the best

Mise-o-jeu (in Québec) has Canada at 16.00 for a win and 5.55 for a draw. Still super unlikely but slightly better!

http://miseojeu.lotoquebec.com/en/betting-offer/soccer/world-cup/matches?idEve=249421

26 minutes ago, Tarrius said:

I have no idea why (and I have no real basis for this), but I'm feeling fairly optimistic about tonight's match. I'm sure that'll change once the game actually starts, but hey, who knows what'll happen tonight...

I am somewhat upbeat, but for entirely different reasons.  My expectations about tonight are pretty damn low.  Thus, there aren't many outcomes aside from an absolute hammering that will really annoy me.  Sure I will be disappointed if we lose, but it is pretty much expected at Azteca so it is no biggie.  And on the slim chance the boys manage to pull off a miracle and get a result, then its celebration time. 

espn analytics pegs Canada with 72% chance of making it to the HEX.

SPI to advance, CONCACAF Group A:

99.98% Mexico (9 pts)
72% Canada (4)
18% Honduras (1)
10% El Salvador (2)

If Mexico and Honduras win today: Canada 60%, Honduras 36%, El Salvador 4%.

8 minutes ago, red card said:

99.98% Mexico (9 pts)
72% Canada (4)
18% Honduras (1)
10% El Salvador (2)

Imagine the odds had we eeked out a win in that El Salvador game...

11 minutes ago, red card said:

99.98% Mexico (9 pts)
72% Canada (4)
18% Honduras (1)
10% El Salvador (2)

Ahhh wishful thinking.  Our odds are probably more like 55% at best.

Floro's all out attack = the rest of the world's defensive play for a draw formations. 

Playing a striker up top with no support, everyone else behind the ball. Full backs that don't attack and three defensive mids doesn't inspire all out attack. It is as attacking as Floro gets though.

For the record... I'm sure he is mainly limited by players and level of opponents and isn't that negative a manager. Still all out attack isn't something I relate to Canada under Floro.

Would like to see Tesho get the start over Ricketts. This is one where it's baffling to me that Osorio isn't on the roster. I just can't think that an pre-season 35 year old deguzman is better than an early season Osorio at this point, especially considering the more defensive formation Osorio and Toronto have been playing so far this year. 

Also, put someone to replace Henry, Ledgerwood i suppose, or even Edgar if he doesn't get the start in CB.

21 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Would like to see Tesho get the start over Ricketts. This is one where it's baffling to me that Osorio isn't on the roster. I just can't think that an pre-season 35 year old deguzman is better than an early season Osorio at this point, especially considering the more defensive formation Osorio and Toronto have been playing so far this year. 

Also, put someone to replace Henry, Ledgerwood i suppose, or even Edgar if he doesn't get the start in CB.

I think that a 35 year old de Guzman is better than a training on the side Osorio at this point. 

Archived