2016 Red Team Playoff Clinching Watch (aka Toronto FC 2016 MLS season thread)

shermanator

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Havoc88 said:

I shoudl have noted him as well. I have never cared for him but without looking at stats it appeared like he won every aerial challenge. He was much better than my recollection of him in 2014 and wouldn't sweat too much if he was given a shot over Wililams for some minutes.

On a related note, I see that neither Simonin nor Mannella featured on the bench for this one. 

42 minutes ago, Havoc88 said:

LOL I've watched Piatti's Pepe impersonation about 10 times. Such a bizarre sequence - he runs in to get the ball and right before he picks it up he decides instead to mouth off to Irwin who shoves him in the chest aka shoots him in the face lololol. I can never get enough of that crap.

That sequence should have resulted in yellow for both players.

18 hours ago, jonovision said:

That sequence should have resulted in yellow for both players.

Lovitz should have also been yellowed for retaliating against Bernier. 

I know you can call red for that foul, but I don't get these grandstanding refs...he held the card in the air for about 45 seconds, that was pure silliness. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know you can call red for that foul, but I don't get these grandstanding refs...he held the card in the air for about 45 seconds, that was pure silliness. 

Yeah, once Gantar established that a running two-handed shove into an opponent's chest isn't a yellow with Lovitz (twice), I guess he couldn't give it to Irwin.

16 hours ago, to70 said:

Simonin has been assigned to TFC II according to their Twitter account

Vanney has talked him up in the media a number of times but at the end of the day he needs to be playing, somewhere, turning potential into actual.  So far, the first round of that year's draft hasn't paid dividends as yet, but maybe these are late bloomers.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yes, he was so busy with the carding of Bernier he either didn't see or chose to ignore Lovitz who probably should have been shown the red as well for his retaliation!

52 minutes ago, gator said:

Yes, he was so busy with the carding of Bernier he either didn't see or chose to ignore Lovitz who probably should have been shown the red as well for his retaliation!

Suggesting a red on Lovitz is obscene. He should have received a yellow and that's that. 

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Yeah, once Gantar established that a running two-handed shove into an opponent's chest isn't a yellow with Lovitz (twice), I guess he couldn't give it to Irwin.

Irwin received a yellow. 

20 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

Suggesting a red on Lovitz is obscene. He should have received a yellow and that's that. 

Irwin received a yellow. 

Violent conduct=Red Card  Getting up and retaliating with a 2 handed shove is violent conduct simple as that!

1 hour ago, gator said:

Violent conduct=Red Card  Getting up and retaliating with a 2 handed shove is violent conduct simple as that!

Following that logic the referee should have handed out 5 - 6 red cards for the scuffle after.  

You're going to see what you want to see. 

9 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I love how people are suggesting Lovitz should get a red for shoving Bernier in the chest and completely ignoring JGL shoving Lovitz in the face a second later.

It depends on how you are managing the game as a ref. If you pull out a  yellow card quickly on a retaliatory shove, then the rest can be avoided. But there are some things you have to pardon, as I see it, as part of game management. In MLS this year, they started a bit harsh, but have eased up it seems (maybe Caps are an exception because our discipline is shite and deservedly sanctioned)

On June 3, 2016 at 8:26 AM, jonovision said:

I watched the replay of the game (i was at the game in person).   First thing that struck me was the colour of the card.  It was pink. :)    I didnt see it as red in colour.   Is that the new trend (pink is replacing red)?   Was it budget cuts (they got a better deal from a supplier who sent pink cards)? Is pink more environmentally freindly than red?  Or am i going colour blind? 

Ps.:  i was responding to unnamed trialist's post but somehow i must have click on jonovisions post by accident.

Edit.:. I just saw from reading above that i am not the only one who noticed.

On June 3, 2016 at 7:04 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Seriously though, that is really funny how Gantar just stuck that red up there like he'd found an Easter egg for the first time ever, and just left his arm up there indefinitely. I don't think I have ever seen such a long sustained card display as that.

On June 3, 2016 at 8:46 PM, Gian-Luca said:

From the stands the card looked distinctly orange in colour  -we were wondering if that was a new two-game suspension colour implemented by the CSA for this tourney

If he didnt have a red card at his disposal, then may be he could have reached into his wallet and used a debit/credit card (from perhaps CIBC or scotiabank) instead.  Maybe even a Petropoints card would have sufficed.   

Or, would this send the wrong signal that instead of sending Bernier off, he was suggesting picking up the tab at the post game gathering.  

Jonathan Osorio is now tied with Amado Guevara for 10th place in all-time goal scoring for Toronto FC. Another Canadian!! The other Canadian is De Rosario who still leads Giovinco by two goals in all competitions with 33. One more and he is tied for 9th with the Bloody Big Deal Defoe.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to show you that selling out a 30 000 seat stadium for like the third time this season and almost averaging what like 28 000 more or less still means nothing in the mainstream Toronto media I guess. I'm driving home from the TFC\La Galaxy game tonight June 18th. Toronto beats the Galaxy the Galaxy love them or hate them are more or less the glamour team of MLS, the first time the Galaxy have played in Toronto for like almost three years, again over 30 000 sold out crowd at BMO Field, Toronto wins. I'm driving home have the local TSN Radio 1050 on in the car, I listen to 3 sports updates at 11PM, 1130 PM and 12PM the lady doing the sports updates I think her name was Kate Pettersen does not mention the TFC game once in any of the three sports updates, remember the game had just ended at 10PM more or less so the game was still pretty fresh. She mentions the Blue Jays score in all three sports updates, mentions golf US Open, other baseball scores and mentions some CFL news in all three sports updates and some other stuff but no TFC game mention. Remember TSN 1050 a Toronto all sports radio station, who actually does not all but some TFC games on the radio station, a station that is owned by one of the companies that owns MLSE who own TFC. I just find it incredible keeping everything I have said above that the TFC game did not warrant a mention. I could understand if the team was drawing flies to their games but it draws very well and it has been drawing very well since they started, however, you still get stuff like this happening on mainstream radio, it just boggles the mind, I give up.

On the bright side, the Fan 590 had regular score updates and even had Dan Reggio (sp?) and John Molinaro on in separate spots to talk about the game.  And I much prefer 1050 to 590's all baseball all the time format.  Anyway, great game and atmosphere

For me, 30,000 is a perfect size, even slightly larger... Vancouver playing for 21,000 lower tier is too low, when the Caps could also be in that 25-30 range if the stadium were flexible.

Like the capacity of old Empire Stadium, which I believe was around the 30 K mark.

30,000 is the capacity of the new BMO then, did not know that? What was it before, just curious. 

For me, 30,000 is a perfect size, even slightly larger... Vancouver playing for 21,000 lower tier is too low, when the Caps could also be in that 25-30 range if the stadium were flexible.

In 2007 IIRC it was 18K, when they put in the north stand I think it came to about 21K.

TFC are terrible to watch when every time they get the ball they look to give it to Giovinco. In the first half tonight it was so incredibly predictable, and Orlando took advantage of it intercepting the passes several times. There are countless times that other attackers are wide open and TFC mids try to force the ball to Gio when he's got 2 or 3 defenders right on him. It is also annoying how he often he ignores his teamates who could be put in by a simple pass and tries to take on the whole team himself. I honestly think Osorio wasnt expecting Gio to pass him the ball on the chance he screwed up tonight. He is the best player in the league but he would be even better if he used his teamates more, he's becoming too predictable and easier to stop because the defenders don't need to worry about any other TFC attackers. In the second half when TFC didn't try as hard to force the ball to Gio they looked much more dangerous because the D has to focus on more than one player at that point.

Archived