2016 Red Team Playoff Clinching Watch (aka Toronto FC 2016 MLS season thread)

shermanator

Of course it's a yellow, it's a cheeky late foul after the whistle. It's not a horrible kick but it's late (in more ways than one) nonetheless and he knew it.  He gets none of the ball regardless and kicks Giovinco right in the shin.

Aird was obviously fired up playing in front of his family/friends and wanted to get stuck in, I haven't seen him go in recklessly too much this season.  

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once Cheyrou is healthy &  Bradley is gone for a month, Cheyrou will have a chance to earn that salary for this year.

Given Hamilton's salary and the lack of attacking options up front, they may want to at least give him a chance to see what he can do with more talented/experience side.

Irwin (despite barely making a save the past two games) appears to be the best value for money this season, with Altidore the worst (no goals for a $5 million MLS striker at this stage of the season - regardless of the season - just isn't value for money. I feel bad for the guy constantly getting injured & missing big tournaments, but what other conclusion can you reach?)

37 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Cheyrou taking a big chunk of salary for not playing. Perquis getting paid a lot.

What a sad league where you look at the guys under $400k who are maybe earning a little too much and the guy at the top of that list is untouchable.  Heck, when you look at Will Johnson he looks like a "high paid" player and that will ultimately cost him years down the line but you definitely get a lot more bang for your buck than with Bradley.  

We're heading toward another CBA stalemate in 4 years, with players wanting money and being in a bargaining perfect position with MLS planning to have 24 teams by 2020.  

In the post-game press conference, Neil Davidson asked Vanney about the fact that his bench last night featured (in terms of outfield players) 5 defenders (Bloom, Morgan, Hagglund, Perquis, Zavaleta) and one defender/midfielder in Lovitz, with Lovitz the only player remotely resembling an attacking option. Vanney said it was no secret that the team has too many defenders (three central defenders on the bench and there's still Simonin) but that not much would change until July. However, given the salaries above, if they need cap space to get another attacker/midfielder, I'd guess that Zavaleta would be the man to go given that Hagglund & Simonin aren't going to free up much cap space in comparison. In fact the two combined would free up less space than Zavaleta

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Once Cheyrou is healthy &  Bradley is gone for a month, Cheyrou will have a chance to earn that salary for this year.

I am curious to see how Cheyrou does when he gets back because injuries like his sometime persist for a long time on 35 year old guys.

42 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Heck, when you look at Will Johnson he looks like a "high paid" player and that will ultimately cost him years down the line but you definitely get a lot more bang for your buck than with Bradley.

Bradley will be gone and if Cheyrou's not ready I'm looking forward to seeing how Johnson and the rest of the midfield performs during that stretch.

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

To be fair to Vanney, they have been using Morgan as a late sub as a left sided midfielder sometimes this year.  He would add a little offensive thrust, and I was surprised he didn't come in last night.  

I think when he is brought in as a left sided midfield sub, he is brought in for his defence when the team is up a goal.

100% correct, but at least he has some pace, and can usually get in a cross or two.  He was the only other defender on the bench that had some quality going forward, when they needed some punch put into the attack against NYC.  

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

To be fair to Vanney, they have been using Morgan as a late sub as a left sided midfielder sometimes this year.  He would add a little offensive thrust, and I was surprised he didn't come in last night.  

Speaking of Morgan:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/05/16/report-celtic-defender-emilio-izaguirre-visiting-toronto-fc-ahea/page/1/

Surely this would bump him further down the pecking order.

5 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I'd take this one with a block of salt.  Sounds more like an agent generating some interest.

Agreed. The last thing they need is another full back - if they get rid of one to make room for a pricier player then it just further constrains them against the cap from being able to fill the need for some depth attacking players

34 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Agreed. The last thing they need is another full back - if they get rid of one to make room for a pricier player then it just further constrains them against the cap from being able to fill the need for some depth attacking players

I think they definitely need a relatively like-for-like replacement for Altidore, so a journeyman MLS target man type might be useful.  Obviously, you're not going to get a world beater but rather someone who can fill a role, sorta similar to Alan Gordon.

22 hours ago, Keegan said:

Of course it's a yellow, it's a cheeky late foul after the whistle. It's not a horrible kick but it's late (in more ways than one) nonetheless and he knew it.  He gets none of the ball regardless and kicks Giovinco right in the shin.

Aird was obviously fired up playing in front of his family/friends and wanted to get stuck in, I haven't seen him go in recklessly too much this season.  

What's funny about Unnamed Trialist is that he responded to me in his trademark condescending and tiresome way, yet he "liked" this post saying pretty much the exact same thing.

40 minutes ago, RS said:

What's funny about Unnamed Trialist is that he responded to me in his trademark condescending and tiresome way, yet he "liked" this post saying pretty much the exact same thing.

Hey RS, I would really like to help get you past this amazing eureka moment you've had about me liking something on a Soccer Forum. And this post where you reveal it to the world. Four days late. 

Could you just explain what is was that you found so ironic once again?

And then we can discuss exactly what kind of irony it was, okay?

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hey RS, I would really like to help get you past this amazing eureka moment you've had about me liking something on a Soccer Forum. And this post where you reveal it to the world. Four days late. 

Could you just explain what is was that you found so ironic once again?

And then we can discuss exactly what kind of irony it was, okay?

The post you liked was from yesterday, not four days ago. And I never used the words "ironic" or "irony" at all.

You keep doing you, JS.

11 hours ago, RS said:

The post you liked was from yesterday, not four days ago. And I never used the words "ironic" or "irony" at all.

You keep doing you, JS.

Sorry RS, I was sure you were talking about being ironic. My mistake.

BTW, the real contradiction in Keegan's post is a guy who is obsessed by the greatness of English lower divisions, with their boot-tackling and players throwing their bodies in the fray and refs waving everything off except outright assaust, here defending the player who is right now the most flagrant diver in MLS. In a case where he dove 2 seconds after the whistle had blown.

An amazing player, but always looking for the nearest swimming pool. 

But hey, I am sure you were eventually going to point that terribly hypocritical contradiction out in a couple of days, for sure.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry RS, I was sure you were talking about being ironic. My mistake.

BTW, the real contradiction in Keegan's post is a guy who is obsessed by the greatness of English lower divisions, with their boot-tackling and players throwing their bodies in the fray and refs waving everything off except outright assaust, here defending the player who is right now the most flagrant diver in MLS. In a case where he dove 2 seconds after the whistle had blown.

An amazing player, but always looking for the nearest swimming pool. 

But hey, I am sure you were eventually going to point that terribly hypocritical contradiction out in a couple of days, for sure.

The only person ever obsessing here is you bud, but everyone aside from yourself can see that.  

League Two refereeing is awful and they probably would have let that slide you're right.  Giovinco does dive... most flagrant in the league? Debatable but irrelevant.  Is Aird a cynical player?  No, not from what I've seen.  Did Aird foul Giovinco after the whistle and deserve a yellow?  Yes, absolutely the video evidence is there... embellishment is probably there too but since when does that negate a foul?  Remember embellishment and diving aren't exactly the same thing.  

Archived