2016 Red Team Playoff Clinching Watch (aka Toronto FC 2016 MLS season thread)

shermanator

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see Hamilton get the monkey off his back and get his first MLS goal.  Lets hope this gives the confidence to go on and pot a few more. Maybe he can give Gio someone to work into the offense, instead of dribbling into triple teams and ignoring his strike partner most of the game.  Kudos to Osorio for making alot of nice passes, and being involved in both goals.  I didn't even mind Larin scoring against us.  

And what a complete rip that the game that Irwin goes out on an injury its F#CKIN Bono on the bench.  Roberts better be in the second leg of the cup final.  

On June 25, 2016 at 7:58 PM, BradMack said:

TFC are terrible to watch when every time they get the ball they look to give it to Giovinco. In the first half tonight it was so incredibly predictable, and Orlando took advantage of it intercepting the passes several times. There are countless times that other attackers are wide open and TFC mids try to force the ball to Gio when he's got 2 or 3 defenders right on him. It is also annoying how he often he ignores his teamates who could be put in by a simple pass and tries to take on the whole team himself. I honestly think Osorio wasnt expecting Gio to pass him the ball on the chance he screwed up tonight. He is the best player in the league but he would be even better if he used his teamates more, he's becoming too predictable and easier to stop because the defenders don't need to worry about any other TFC attackers. In the second half when TFC didn't try as hard to force the ball to Gio they looked much more dangerous because the D has to focus on more than one player at that point.

Vanney.jpg

Looks like Irwin will be out for a while. Hopefully Roberts gets a shot to prove what he can do; he's been the better keeper since Bono came on the scene at the USL level.

Even a platoon type of scenario where Roberts and Bono both get a start, and TFC goes with the goalie who performs best would be good in my books. Perhaps Roberts starting Wed, Bono starting June 2 and Roberts starting June 9 could give them an idea of what the two can bring as a starting keeper.

I 100 % hope Q emerges as the No. 1 while Irwin is out.  However, while Roberts beat out Bono last year as the TFC II No. 1, and thoroughly outplayed him, everything I have seen and read indicates the opposite is true this year.

Anyway, I hope he gets a chance and proves himself.

10 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Raheem Edwards brought a large spark of energy when he came onto the field tonight. He truly came ready to play and ready to change the pace of the game. He definitely did not look out of place.

Whipped in a couple nice balls too. 

19 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Am I the only who noticed that Giovinco did not look overly interested in celebrating after winning..

There was the one play late in the game when he had Johnson wide open on the left in a dangerous spot near the penalty area but he still tried to get a shot off against three defenders:  when it went wide, Johnson showed his frustration (perhaps with the missed chance or with not getting the ball). 

On June 28, 2016 at 7:42 PM, Ivan said:

I 100 % hope Q emerges as the No. 1 while Irwin is out.  However, while Roberts beat out Bono last year as the TFC II No. 1, and thoroughly outplayed him, everything I have seen and read indicates the opposite is true this year.

Anyway, I hope he gets a chance and proves himself.

Bono made a couple of key saves, notably the one off Laba.  The goals conceded were more about poor defending.

57 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Am I the only who noticed that Giovinco did not look overly interested in celebrating after winning..

At which point? He didn't jump up and down as much when the Cup was being lofted as he seemed to be more concerned in talking to Johnson about his injury but he was arguably the person who congratulated Johnson the most enthusiastically after the final whistle. A lot of clips have surfaced from team celebrations in the dressing room where he seems quite overjoyed (although maybe he just likes champagne?)

As mentioned by G-L in the other thread, Perquis looks to have become a forgotten man.  His DP sized cap hit is dead money sitting on the bench or in the press box:  I wonder if he's dealing with an undisclosed injury?  Regardless of what happens in the remainder of this season, I can't see him back next year.

On 6/25/2016 at 11:00 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

It is really obvious this year how Giovionco really bogs up the attack. It's also up to the other players around him to have the confidence to work around him but no one apart from Altidore really has the resume to do that consistently.

This is really starting to bother me. I'm not pinning it entirely on Gio, I think it's just as likely that Vanney's instructions post-Altidore injury have been "pass to Giovinco, always," but it is definitely becoming a problem. Late in yesterday's game there was a clear opportunity where someone (Edwards?) was alone on the edge of the box when Gio had the ball but was surrounded, and he chose to pound if off a defender's shins instead of pass. He was dribbling towards Edwards/whoever at first too, so there's no way he didn't see him.

He's the best player in the league, but he's started to play like he's the only good player...

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

This is really starting to bother me. I'm not pinning it entirely on Gio, I think it's just as likely that Vanney's instructions post-Altidore injury have been "pass to Giovinco, always," but it is definitely becoming a problem. Late in yesterday's game there was a clear opportunity where someone (Edwards?) was alone on the edge of the box when Gio had the ball but was surrounded, and he chose to pound if off a defender's shins instead of pass. He was dribbling towards Edwards/whoever at first too, so there's no way he didn't see him.

He's the best player in the league, but he's started to play like he's the only good player...

I thought it was Johnson who was wide open in a dangerous area.  He was visibly frustrated with the outcome of that play.

Archived