Canadian Premier League

ted

I like the look of FCEd in the USL.  Wouldn't they cut their travel budget in half? A couple of games against Whitecaps 2 and Sounders 2? 

Important, imo, to keep playing, stay current.  The Voyageurs Cup is still meaningful.  Getting your players to play in front of MLS teams, scouts and players has to be important.  Is "selling" players up the line not a North American thing?

How far is Calgary away from saying, "hmm FCEd can do this, why not us?"? 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

which is unfortunate, but on the bright side, the culture/groundwork is in place for the fanbase to jump to a new ownership group.

Similar feelings for Ottawa Fury.

Really, if there was a time to swoop in and take the Fury's fanbase, now would be the time. Only 50% of responders to a twitter poll said they will continue to support the Fury if they become the IMFC affiliate. And that's without an alternative 

I mean, Melnyk DID want to build an SSS for an MLS bid. If the Flames and Jets could convince them to scale those plans back a bunch and make if a CPL SSS... 

Probably dreaming but I don't think it's entirely implausible, if the NHL angle is true. Not at launch of course

56 minutes ago, coppercanuck said:

I like the look of FCEd in the USL.  Wouldn't they cut their travel budget in half? A couple of games against Whitecaps 2 and Sounders 2? 

From my understanding FCE would join some new other league type thing with the non-MLS B teams or something so their closest rival would be in California.

That's what's supposed to be the merger right?

31 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Really, if there was a time to swoop in and take the Fury's fanbase, now would be the time. Only 50% of responders to a twitter poll said they will continue to support the Fury if they become the IMFC affiliate. And that's without an alternative 

I mean, Melnyk DID want to build an SSS for an MLS bid. If the Flames and Jets could convince them to scale those plans back a bunch and make if a CPL SSS... 

Probably dreaming but I don't think it's entirely implausible, if the NHL angle is true. Not at launch of course

would now also be the time to express my distaste for the name Fury? :P

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Honestly, my gut is saying that if there's no more NASL, the Faths will just close up shop.

Then why would they sign Miller to a three year extension, at a time when it was already pretty much certain that NASL was over? This whole storey just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Hmm...

1 hour ago, coppercanuck said:

How far is Calgary away from saying, "hmm FCEd can do this, why not us?"? 

Pretty damn far, given the lack of willing ownership, a suitable stadium for USL, a fan base that would support that level of play, and recovering from the worst economic recession in the city in a generation.

I say this as someone who has done a lot of the heavy lifting for both the supporters group as well as the Voyageurs in this city for the last 2 years, right now this is not a town that cares about local soccer. Calgary is a very fickle sports town; if it's not the big leagues, people aren't interested. USL would not be sustainable. I would argue that a rumoured CPL club with billionaire ownership might not be sustainable either. The only reason why Calgary Foothills keeps going is they have one of the most successful, profitable youth clubs in the country to prop it up with.

Not to mention that if Calgary wants to emulate a sustainable professional soccer team, FC Edmonton is the last place it should take inspiration from. This last season the club drew a quarter of the fans that their owner indicated they would need to break even. It sounds like season tickets for 2017 are selling much better compared to 2016, but it might be too little, too late for the Eddies.

22 minutes ago, David C. said:

Then why would they sign Miller to a three year extension, at a time when it was already pretty much certain that NASL was over? This whole storey just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Hmm...

They may not be in the loop as much as they think they are.  If I was an owner planning to jump ship to a rival, I certainly wouldn't be telling my current league's biggest supporter before I had to.

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Glitch.

33 minutes ago, David C. said:

Almost reminds me of when Carlyle got resigned by the Leafs long term even though everyone knew he was on the chopping block. Sometimes you want to reward an employee you feel has been loyal to you by ensuring they have a secure future, whether that's with the club or with a large severence package. It also keeps Miller from bolting and making the situation look even worse

I admit that I know very little about the commitment or resources of the Edmonton owners.  But it seems like the stars are aligning for a move to CPL.  Canadian league, potentially awesome rivalries, existing league collapsing...  

Maybe they will fold.  It may even be the most likely outcome by quite a margin.  But under the circumstances, it seems like a mistake to ignore an opportunity to be part of a new league with excellent growth potential instead is shuttering some thing with so much sweat equity already invested.

I would agree with what some have been saying.

I'm thinking OFFC and Edmonton FC are out of the CPL radar. They either fold or sell to CPL approved ownership....hopefully they sell.

New ownership would likely be preferred at this point. The whole whole drama surrounding these 2 screams of financial vulnerability, something the CPL seems to not want 

UGGGHHH!  How can FCED move to CPL if there is no CPL??  If the CPL really was on the horizon wouldnt the Fury have jumped? The fact that they take a voluntary step down and might even consent to being the dreaded MLS farm team tells me that the CPL is not around the corner.  I damn near got whiplash going from the euphoria of the all CDN MLS semi final, historic, wild entertaining soccer, first CDN club in the final etc,  to all this BS.  FCED possibly closing doors, FC Montreal, POOF, gone, replaced by the Fury.  If the Faths throw in the towel and the Fury are willing to shrink into a usl farm team, what hope does the ethereal CPL have?  I thought their best bet was to have 2 strong NASL teams to build on.  Maybe I am just pessimisstic but it looks like the CPL is even farther away.  I hope alot of this is just rumors...

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

UGGGHHH!  How can FCED move to CPL if there is no CPL??  If the CPL really was on the horizon wouldnt the Fury have jumped? The fact that they take a voluntary step down and might even consent to being the dreaded MLS farm team tells me that the CPL is not around the corner.  I damn near got whiplash going from the euphoria of the all CDN MLS semi final, historic, wild entertaining soccer, first CDN club in the final etc,  to all this BS.  FCED possibly closing doors, FC Montreal, POOF, gone, replaced by the Fury.  If the Faths throw in the towel and the Fury are willing to shrink into a usl farm team, what hope does the ethereal CPL have?  I thought their best bet was to have 2 strong NASL teams to build on.  Maybe I am just pessimisstic but it looks like the CPL is even farther away.  I hope alot of this is just rumors...

Understand your POV but I would wait a few months before getting to down in the dumps.  This thread is a little bit ridiculous but we really have no clue whats going to happen.  

No point losing hope.  invest your energy in helping where you can and then let the chips fall where they may.

Good things are coming.  Its just a feeling I have but its been getting stronger for the last year or so

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Take a breather and enjoy the MLS Cup on Saturday 

I'd like to remind people that OFFC and Edmonton FC problems have NOTHING to do with CPL who isn't active yet.

It's the story of 2 teams who were part of a crappy unstable USSF league that's dying a slow death and might jump to another USSF league that no one cares about and that even the CSA won't allow it's team in the V-Cup.

Outside of MLS, USSF pyramid is a mess and a joke of a pyramid. So much that the last US National coach criticized even MLS and was VERY reluctant to rely on it.

We should be glad that for once the CSA got someone who actually seems to cares, know what he's doing and actually have a vision for once wanting to fix our dysfunctional and incomplete pyramid.

Just point the finger at the right place...USSF way

A bit older, but Pugh didn't seem like he was keen on pursuing an affiliation.

http://apt613.ca/fury-fc-moves-usl/

Says Edwards, “All leagues loan players, but this was about creating an affiliation where it’s more of a specific relationship between two clubs.  So an independently owned and operated club could have more of a formal relationship with an MLS club.  It doesn’t restrict them from working with other clubs, but that [will be] their primary partner.”

While many teams in the USL are either MLS reserve teams or have affiliation agreements with MLS teams, Pugh doesn’t see this as an option the Fury needs to pursue.

“We may look into things like that in the future, but to be honest with you, we have been able to make arrangements with MLS teams without any kind of total affiliation.  We wouldn’t be looking for a farm team kind of relationship.”

1 minute ago, -Hammer- said:

A bit older, but Pugh didn't seem like he was keen on pursuing an affiliation.

http://apt613.ca/fury-fc-moves-usl/

Says Edwards, “All leagues loan players, but this was about creating an affiliation where it’s more of a specific relationship between two clubs.  So an independently owned and operated club could have more of a formal relationship with an MLS club.  It doesn’t restrict them from working with other clubs, but that [will be] their primary partner.”

While many teams in the USL are either MLS reserve teams or have affiliation agreements with MLS teams, Pugh doesn’t see this as an option the Fury needs to pursue.

“We may look into things like that in the future, but to be honest with you, we have been able to make arrangements with MLS teams without any kind of total affiliation.  We wouldn’t be looking for a farm team kind of relationship.”

Which i pray is still true.. even if it's just affiliation and 3 loanees, it doesn't sit right with me.

1 minute ago, Kibby said:

Which i pray is still true.. even if it's just affiliation and 3 loanees, it doesn't sit right with me.

I don't disagree. Having experienced the differences between AHL and OHL hockey with the Bulldogs, I can tell you with no hesitation, being affiliated to any other team stinks compared to being independant.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

That was never the CPL's best bet. All the statements given by those teams' respective owners/personnel have indicated them not being interested in leaving the NASL for the CPL. I also wouldn't call those two clubs strong either. If Bob Young was satisfied with mimicking the Fury with an average attendance of 5000 to 7000, he would have gone the NASL route. His ambitions for the CPL are clearly higher and the current aforementioned NASL clubs are a minor factor.

2 minutes ago, Macksam said:

That was never the CPL's best bet. All the statements given by those teams' respective owners/personnel have indicated them not being interested in leaving the NASL for the CPL. I also wouldn't call those two clubs strong either. If Bob Young was satisfied with mimicking the Fury with an average attendance of 5000 to 7000, he would have gone the NASL route. His ambitions for the CPL are clearly higher and the current aforementioned NASL clubs are a minor factor.

truth

Archived