Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, masster said:

That site is from Minnesota and is well respected, but I think this article is off. They say that New York is one of the 4 teams left in NASL one sentence after saying that they have ceased operations.

Yea, I'm guessing it's a mix-up on the part of the writer

4 minutes ago, matty said:

I'm guessing Tom Fath is worth well over the $20m needed for NASL but doubt he's worth more than $100m

Then I'd pin him as doubtful for CPL and it would explain why he was so adamant on NASL and sort of negative towards CPL. Requirements might be too high for him on his own, mind you he could find partners to co-invest in a CPL team.

Crossing fingers for Edmonton Oilers being involved at some point, or any oil company group/owners

Think I have seen $100 million as his net worth somewhere. The reason he was so adamant on the NASL was probably that he owned a large portion of the leagues class B shares and stood to gain from future expansion fees. Given he must have had some inkling this was about to happen and just signed Colin Miller to a three year contract extension, hopefully they will be in USL this summer. It's never good to see a Canadian pro team stop playing and we already appear to be losing FC Montreal. 

The way I see it, affiliating with the IMFC is a convenient way for OFFC to get around the moratorium on any new independent NASL, USL, PDL franchises in Canada and for IMFC to offload Montreal FC as its days were numbered.  Whether it's temporary or not is another question...

It could be a way to keep OFFC playing in 2017 and join the CPL in 2018/19. IMFC could then find an American USL team to partner with after 2018/19 to meet MLS requirements to either affiliate with or own a USL team; or

As it was mentioned above it could be that USL is where OFFC want to be and another group would come in with a new CPL team. 

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think I have seen $100 million as his net worth somewhere. The reason he was so adamant on the NASL was probably that he owned a large portion of the leagues class B shares and stood to gain from future expansion fees. Given he must have had some inkling this was about to happen and just signed Colin Miller to a three year contract extension, hopefully they will be in USL this summer. It's never good to see a Canadian pro team stop playing and we already appear to be losing FC Montreal. 

Perhaps I should be posting this in the other threads but FC Montreal no longer playing in USL doesn't surprise me. With USL going after D2 sanction, FC Montreal doesn't fit in USL plans in terms of requirements. However, FC Montreal should have been move to the PLSQ D3 league (which could be the their plan). OFFC makes much more sense for Montreal than FC Montreal

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Or, alternatively and as much as it contradicts our current dogma, OFFC will be joining CPL as an MLS affiliate, but "won't be called a B team" (which I believe was the oddly-specific phrase used by Totera).

I think it was made clear that CPL and the CSA wouldn't have it and in theory, they should be excluded from the V-Cup

21 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Then I'd pin him as doubtful for CPL and it would explain why he was so adamant on NASL and sort of negative towards CPL. Requirements might be too high for him on his own, mind you he could find partners to co-invest in a CPL team.

Crossing fingers for Edmonton Oilers being involved at some point, or any oil company group/owners

I'm guessing he's open to partnering if there's no NASL next year. Question is "what can they do next year?"

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Sadly no it seems

Maybe the remaining NASL teams will have some miniseason like WSA did in the 80s for 2017 and FCE will make the jump

Why couldn't Ottawa still function as a Montreal affiliate in the CPL? There's been nothing to suggest they can't do that. just that there will be no teams in the league without the "2" or "B" at the end of them. This structure would allow Impact to get involved in CPL.

1 minute ago, matty said:

Maybe the remaining NASL teams will have some miniseason like WSA did in the 80s for 2017 and FCE will make the jump

The other three are dead, so they would need to play their academy team as Duane Rollins has pointed out on twitter:

Guess somebody has to be the last to leave the ship, so it may be premature to draw conclusions at this point as there may still be time to open negotiations with USL. Suspect we won't have to wait more than a day or two to find out.

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The other three are dead, so they would need to play their academy team as Duane Rollins has pointed out on twitter:

Guess somebody has to be the last to leave the ship, so it may be premature to draw conclusions at this point as there may still be time to open negotiations with USL. Suspect we won't have to wait more than a day or two to find out.

I was referring to the NASL clubs that don't get picked up by USL (not all the NASL clubs will be taken in I'm sure)

2 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Why couldn't Ottawa still function as a Montreal affiliate in the CPL? There's been nothing to suggest they can't do that. just that there will be no teams in the league without the "2" or "B" at the end of them. This structure would allow Impact to get involved in CPL.

CSA already said no. If they ever did that it would make CPL a 2nd rate league to MLS which you'd understand is very bad for business, a brand and all the investors would have walked away

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

CSA already said no. If they ever did that it would make CPL a 2nd rate league to MLS which you'd understand is very bad for business, a brand and all the investors would have walked away

Where did you see that reported? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Archived