Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, nolbertos said:

Well, I'm assuming that Generation Adidas Canada would work the same way like the US, in the sense that they don't count against a teams salary cap, guarantees elite players a salary way above players their age, so they won't leave the club or academy and stay in MLS.  I know Darren Mattocks was paid almost $200K because of the generation adidad label.  This at least makes young athletes in the 14-18 range think about continuing their careers in soccer and MLS.  I don't know how the CPL would compete against generation adidas, but then again, I'm assuming CPL will mostly pick up the mid to bottom tier Canadian players to play in their league.  Their maybe a gem or two that could arise from the CPL, but most of the elite Canadian kids will probably be enticed to join the MLS academies.

But the existing Generation Adidas designation already works for Canadians. Cyle Larin is a Generation Adidas player. Why create this new fangled Generation Adidas Canada designation unless perhaps it's meant to serve a different purpose?

6 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

But the existing Generation Adidas designation already works for Canadians. Cyle Larin is a Generation Adidas player. Why create this new fangled Generation Adidas Canada designation unless perhaps it's meant to serve a different purpose?

Cyle Larin didn't come through the MLS academies though, he came through a private Canadian academy. I'm assuming he was given a Generation Adidas US spot, because of his hype and guaranteeing that he'd earn a hefty wage as a rookie in MLS and enter the Superdraft.  Wasn't Cyle Larin being scouted by some European teams at that time??  Imagine if Cyle Larin didn't get the Generation Adidas sponsor, maybe the label, advertisements and money he earned would've not been enough, compared to Euro tryout.

6 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Cyle Larin didn't come through the MLS academies though, he came through a private Canadian academy. I'm assuming he was given a Generation Adidas US spot, because of his hype and guaranteeing that he'd earn a hefty wage as a rookie in MLS and enter the Superdraft.  Wasn't Cyle Larin being scouted by some European teams at that time??  Imagine if Cyle Larin didn't get the Generation Adidas sponsor, maybe the label, advertisements and money he earned would've not been enough, compared to Euro tryout.

With these new rules if you come through an MLS Academy you don't need the "Generation Adidas Canada" designation, you're just automatically a domestic player and a homegrown. So there would be no need for an academy player to get that designation because homegrown players already don't count against the cap. Look at Jordan Morris in Seattle, he's getting paid way more than most rookies even though he's not a generation adidas player, but a homegrown.

And to your point, the great Canadian prospects already get the existing Generation Adidas US contracts. So why the heck did they make a third designation called "Generation Adidas Canada" unless it's to serve a separate group of players that isn't currently being catered to?

Just a thought but could a designation like that be created for a Callum Irving type situation where it's a kid who's good enough to get drafted if he's American, but because he's not, doesn't get drafted. Sort of like a "token canadian in the draft" sort of designation. haha.

I don't know why we have this uproar about "must sign first pro contract with MLS".

It's quite obvious that the Duane Rollins Fantasy League is going to be nothing more than a trumped-up amateur L1O where players won't be signing professional contracts (except with the MLS 2 sides who will be operating as USL North).

12 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

With these new rules if you come through an MLS Academy you don't need the "Generation Adidas Canada" designation, you're just automatically a domestic player and a homegrown. So there would be no need for an academy player to get that designation because homegrown players already don't count against the cap. Look at Jordan Morris in Seattle, he's getting paid way more than most rookies even though he's not a generation adidas player, but a homegrown.

And to your point, the great Canadian prospects already get the existing Generation Adidas US contracts. So why the heck did they make a third designation called "Generation Adidas Canada" unless it's to serve a separate group of players that isn't currently being catered to?

Regarding homegrown, yeah your right, that players can earn more money that way, but then again, there's not enough spots for all  kids on the roster to be given a homegrown salary. The Generation Adidas also has a limited number of spots available, or else every upcoming promising American rookie would've been under that label.  The Generation Adidas Canada would work like the US one and maybe if there's an outstanding immigrant in the MLS academies ranks, they could benefit from that too.  Think of the Generation Adidas as a scholarship or bursary grant.  The more bursaries available to young rookies, the more enticing to stay in MLS

19 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Regarding homegrown, yeah your right, that players can earn more money that way, but then again, there's not enough spots for all  kids on the roster to be given a homegrown salary. The Generation Adidas also has a limited number of spots available, or else every upcoming promising American rookie would've been under that label.  The Generation Adidas Canada would work like the US one and maybe if there's an outstanding immigrant in the MLS academies ranks, they could benefit from that too.  Think of the Generation Adidas as a scholarship or bursary grant.  The more bursaries available to young rookies, the more enticing to stay in MLS

The number of generation adidas spots vary every year, they make sure they can cover any player they think could be a marquee player in the league. If anything there's not a shortage of spots, but too many spots given how most generation adidas players turn out (seriously look at the graduating class this year, most of them aren't even in the league anymore). If as you said the generation adidas canada worked like the US one there's no point because the current GA contracts can go to Canadians anyways.

If you're saying there aren't enough homegrown positions on MLS teams to sign all the talent coming through so they need this new "Gen Adidas Canada" to catch all the talent they're missing out on...I respectfully disagree. It's not like any of the Canadian teams have so few spots that they're missing out on an academy player who they're going to let go.In fact it's the opposite, they sign too many kids when they aren't ready yet.

6 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I'd expect every professional team in Canada to compete in the VCup not just a select few from CPL

I prefer the idea of making the vcup something that must he earned. Sadly mls will get it automatically so the cpl will have to fight for it

5 minutes ago, matty said:

I prefer the idea of making the vcup something that must he earned. Sadly mls will get it automatically so the cpl will have to fight for it

The V-cup is our domestic cup, not our equivalent to the champions league. Especially with it opening up, everyone should have a theoretical chance to win every year. My preference, assuming Ottawa is in CPL, 6 team CPL, and Edmonton survives

Round 1: Challenge Cup Champ vs Interprovincial Cup Champ

Round 2: Round 1 Winner vs FC Edmonton 

R3: Winner of R2 gets fed in as bottom seed in a 10 team knockout, with top seed going to the previous V-Cup winner and the remaining seeds are randomly assigned.

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I don't know why we have this uproar about "must sign first pro contract with MLS".

It's quite obvious that the Duane Rollins Fantasy League is going to be nothing more than a trumped-up amateur L1O where players won't be signing professional contracts (except with the MLS 2 sides who will be operating as USL North).

You owe me residuals for using DRFL :)
I can be paid in beer next time we meet.

It may be Ontario & prairies league to start but it will have to move beyond that quickly. We'll see (or not) soon.

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

The V-cup is our domestic cup, not our equivalent to the champions league. Especially with it opening up, everyone should have a theoretical chance to win every year. My preference, assuming Ottawa is in CPL, 6 team CPL, and Edmonton survives

R3: Winner of R2 gets fed in as bottom seed in a 10 team knockout, with top seed going to the previous V-Cup winner and the remaining seeds are randomly assigned.

Honestly, I'd like to see the two CPL division Champs (presuming 20 week season, with a East and West final with a CPL league setup of play your division teams four times, outside-division twice) and the top two MLS seeds of the previous season getting byes or some form of seeding advantage. Being the best competitors in the top leagues should carry a benefit into the V-Cup.

Certainly keep the V-Cup as the only route into the Champions League and expand it and keep it open, at least till we hit 4 berths ;)

57 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Having the CPL as an open cup doesn't help it IMO. Keeping it exclusive to the CPL and MLS presents it as the best in Canada and a battle between the two. Only the top 5 in CPL go adds stakes to the season which I think will make things more interesting especially late in the season.

2 hours ago, matty said:

Having the CPL as an open cup doesn't help it IMO. Keeping it exclusive to the CPL and MLS presents it as the best in Canada and a battle between the two. Only the top 5 in CPL go adds stakes to the season which I think will make things more interesting especially late in the season.

The V's Cup should be open. And let's be honest, how will you determine which team goes out for the first year? I'd rather have two random teams play each other in the first round than tell a team that oh you've had a bad start to the year better luck next year. I think also if you believe that having only the top 5 in CPL go in the V's Cup, it's 5 out of 6, it'S not like the team that finished 5th was great, they don't deserve it that much more than the team in 6th. If USSF was able to allow every non-reserve pro club in their top 3 divisions in the US Open Cup, I can't see how we can't do that ourselves. Teams in the top 4 have another advantage already and if you get to 8 by year X, teams in the top 2 still have an advantage. I agree that you want to reward the better teams, but it's already done in that model.  I think that you want some kind of pro-rel, and it's the best thing you came up with.

10 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

At this point, I have lost track of who is in the utopian camp, who is "it will never fly" camp, and who is in the '"guaranteed success" camp.  Thus I can't tell whether this is trolling or  sarcasm or genuine opinion.

Sometimes I think we need a Voyageurs organizational chart to show the allegiances, affiliations, and alignment of opinions amongst members. 

9 hours ago, matty said:

Excluding one or more CPL teams and including all MLS teams reinforces the idea of the CPL being below MLS. They should all be allowed in and let the results sort themselves out. I would also argue that it's better for the CPL long term to be able to win the Voyageurs Cup. You increase the odds of a CPL team to win the cup by including all of their teams, and also by having a random draw for matchups, a la FA Cup. That's what I would like to see at least. A random draw (if there is zero seeding) could also help lower division teams if/when they are allowed in. For example, if two D3 teams get drawn against each other it will be exciting for those teams to have a chance at bragging rights about who made it to the next round, instead of always matching them up with a pro team to try to make sure they get eliminated right away.

That's what I would like to see at least.

Lads, our league is going to be so lit.

I just saw all of the TV numbers for MLS. 1.4 million (average) in Canada compared to the American final  (Colorado vs. Seattle) which had just 260k unique.

I don't care what people say. Canada is a soccer nation. We just haven't had anything to love about the game in a long time. I think the CPL will do extremely well, we have one national league and it's marquee matchup is watched by 1/3 of Canadians. I honestly think that the CPL final could overtake that number in time. 

EDIT: I should say, we haven't had anything nationally to love. Soccer is a community sport, and the MLS teams serve their communities. But I am excited to have something in the smaller communities of Canada that can get all Canadians behind it.

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

At this point, I have lost track of who is in the utopian camp, who is "it will never fly" camp, and who is in the '"guaranteed success" camp.  Thus I can't tell whether this is trolling or  sarcasm or genuine opinion.

Sometimes I think we need a Voyageurs organizational chart to show the allegiances, affiliations, and alignment of opinions amongst members. 

lol thats what the badges are for bro

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

voyageurs chart.png

Obviously he missed the posts where I pointed out that a CPL could easily happen if it cooperates with USL as its Canadian branding so that the three MLS teams can be involved, or those that suggested that a downscaling of ambitions to something more similar to the NBL in basketball might be a better way to go given the limited number of markets available that could sustain D2 level operations, and that overall it's better to wait until we hear from Paul Beirne in podcasts what is really envisaged rather than assuming that player salary budgets of $1.5 million are what is planned. Maybe it's easier to build a misleading charicature as some sort of easily dismissed strawman argument than to fully process what just happened between the CSA and MLS on Wednesday night and exactly where that leaves the CPL? Have you been played by Victor Montagliani as a cynical way to gain leverage with MLS over access to domestic roster spots for Canadian players? Time will tell.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Obviously he missed the posts where I pointed out that a CPL could easily happen if it cooperates with USL as its Canadian branding so that the three MLS teams can be involved, or those that suggested that a downscaling of ambitions to something more similar to the NBL in basketball might be a better way to go given the limited number of markets available that could sustain D2 level operations, and that overall it's better to wait until we hear from Paul Beirne in podcasts what is really envisaged rather than assuming that player salary budgets of $1.5 million are what is planned. Maybe it's easier to build a misleading charicature as some sort of easily dismissed strawman argument than to fully process what just happened between the CSA and MLS on Wednesday night and exactly where that leaves the CPL? Have you been played by Victor Montagliani as a cynical way to gain leverage with MLS over access to domestic roster spots for Canadian players? Time will tell.

I don't think he missed those posts.

Archived