Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, coppercanuck said:

I like the look of FCEd in the USL.  Wouldn't they cut their travel budget in half? A couple of games against Whitecaps 2 and Sounders 2? 

On Two Solitudes yesterday Sandor said USL wants no part of Edmonton.  They sell the league as cheap travel for teams and Edmonton would be a flight for everyone.

FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury will be in CPL at launch.  That is my bold prediction based on no real information whatsoever - just blind optimism, national pride, and a vague feeling that it will all work out. 

Because we Canadian footy fans have suffered enough.  Don't we deserve a serendipitous happy ending?  And not the kind you get in some Bangkok massage parlour.  I mean a real happy ending that doesn't leave you feeling dirty and ashamed. 

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury will be in CPL at launch.  That is my bold prediction based on no real information whatsoever - just blind optimism, national pride, and a vague feeling that it will all work out. 

Because we Canadian footy fans have suffered enough.  Don't we deserve a serendipitous happy ending?  And not the kind you get in some Bangkok massage parlour.  I mean a real happy ending that doesn't leave you feeling dirty and ashamed. 

Sure we do, but if Toronto is leading Seattle 2-1 in the 85th this weekend, decades of history will have us shitting our pants.

39 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Nope, the Fury signed Callum Irving. Guessing he'll be their starter for 2017.

Good for Callum and Ottawa. I guess this closes the door for Crepeau to secure a loan, so I guess  it's making the Impact or bust (looking for a job elsewhere) with him.

I'm clearly bored and day dreaming in the afternoon. I was just thinking how awesome it would be if the potential Toronto owners built a stadium modeled after the old Maple Leaf Gardens. It was a unique arena back in the day. It reminds me of a soccer stadium with the two giant single-tiered grandstands and the steep stands behind the goalie nets. A 25,000 to 30000 seat arena like this with an open roof and configured for a full sized soccer pitch would be :wub:.

Maple%20Leaf%20Gardens2.gif

20 minutes ago, Ivan said:

So was the CPL sanctioned by the CSA on December 5th as expected?

No news as of yet.

That being said, I'd be shocked if Montagliani was so out of step with the CSA board that it wasn't approved.

And if this whole four-year process was a big lie to force MLS into loosening its Canadian restrictions... we didn't exactly see a huge payoff from that.

whatever happens, I am optimistic as ever

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nylander-always-surprised-trade-rumours-im-now/

1480565509375-NBA-WEB-161130-LOWRYpost-9

CyjmbNwWQAoXAKj.png:large

something's happenin' here

what it is ain't exactly clear :P

and nylanders TFC is sick, I want one.

last thing - dwane casey is a fan - I like how he says "The FC is rolling" - just feel like it conveys respect, which as a soccer fan, I've found is a bit unusual from people who play other sports.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_smiths_sports_blog/2016/11/when-sports-worlds-collide-everyone-turns-into-a-fan.html

Vaughn in CPL? NASL gone but Edmonton pretending everything is fine? Ottawa an affiliate of an MLS team?

Can someone freaking explain to me what the heck is going on with this league?

I admit I never knew anything. But at least before there was an illusion I gave myself that I did. Now I have no clue.

If they were like "Hey we got a new league. Teams in Vaughn, Hamilton, Nunuvut, North Korea, Planet jupiter, and we found a box of puppies we're gonna give a team to as well", I'd be like, alright I guess thats what this is and still jump in 100%, but man, now more than ever I have no clue what the frig this league is gonna look like.

I think Ottawa is positioning itself defensively, by ensuring that messing with their USL sanctioning is also messing with an MLS club. They are skeptical about either the level or the stability of a CPL attempt, and are cementing their position. 

It's shitty, but fine, CPL will have to prove to Ottawa that it is a worthwhile endeavour.

There's still risk on Ottawa's end, they are passing off their fanbase (twitter looks like 50% of their supporters aren't interested in the club if it's an IMFC affiliate), and are risking a more CPL positive group comes into their market and diluted interest in their club entirely. I think they thought they could play the CSA, announcing a move to USL before sanctioning and proclaiming that they'll be back in the V-Cup despite it being against CSA regulation, but at least on Twitter it seems like the public opinion is very much against the Fury, not the CSA

Archived