Canadian Premier League

ted

5 minutes ago, matty said:

yep but leaks do happen. they must have the most secretive groups ever (seriously we're talking dozens if not a few hundred people that would of been involved by this point) or the harshest punishment for breaking it or it's much smaller than thought or no one is interested.

The good thing is that this is coming to resolution now that Paul Beirne has been hired and the CSA have discussed and presumably OK'd (?) sanctioning, so we will know soon which of these it is rather than it always seeming to be two years away.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

It's called doing things the right way!

Look how everybody was blindsided when the Atlanta team got relocated to Winnipeg

that wasn't blindsiding. atlanta were confirmed broke and no one could keep them in atlanta and true north were the front-runners to get them well ahead of the "shocking news" of the relocation

it's rather hard for major sports teams to keep shit this quiet in the modern era.

leaks happen. it's likely why the verde list got big here (we were expecting leaks like it)

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The good thing is that this is coming to resolution now that Paul Beirne has been hired and the CSA have discussed and presumably OK'd (?) sanctioning, so we will know soon which of these it is rather than it always seeming to be two years away.

Hope it lives up to the hype

50 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I hope CPL stay the course and launch in 2018. They seem to do their due diligence and for them to change everything over OFFC and Edmonton FC instability would actually make me very pessimistic of CPL.

Stay the course and do it right

Who needs timelines when we can have Rayo Okanagan?

40 minutes ago, matty said:

I think we're at the point we can trust that Rollins and Totera have a good source but I agree the lack of even a second group being mentioned by them or anyone else is somewhat concerning.

Considering that we have five different independent sources telling us every time the Cosmos so much as sneeze, this is hugely concerning for me as well.

Hell, I'm sure the CSA has internal confidentiality agreements and look what comes through that coffee filter.

7 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Hell, I'm sure the CSA has internal confidentiality agreements and look what comes through that coffee filter.

Outside of Bob Young, we have no clue who the owners are. That coffee filter is pretty effective

14 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Another relevant question:

If OFFC becomes an IMFC affiliate, and FCE decides to take a year off (or even if they play a year of friendlies), are we down to a 3-team Voyageurs Cup?

They're a seperate entity that would have players loaned to them, they should play I'd assume.

Edit-listened to Sandors on Two Solitudes and I was wrong, they are ineligible to play in the VCup if an affiliate

There's a weird thing where I'm seeing a bunch of places where people are saying "It's assumed FCE will join the CPL" without pointing to anywhere it's actually being reported for real. If anyone has an actual report on that I'd love to see it because right now it just seems like an assumption alot of people are making without facts.

4 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

There's a weird thing where I'm seeing a bunch of places where people are saying "It's assumed FCE will join the CPL" without pointing to anywhere it's actually being reported for real. If anyone has an actual report on that I'd love to see it because right now it just seems like an assumption alot of people are making without facts.

the link was posted by me 2 pages ago. the site (which i don't know that well) is apparently well respected. they said they were "expected to join". you're not gonna get any "reported for real" stories on this site aside from hamilton ones until another owner or the league is announced likely

31 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Another relevant question:

If OFFC becomes an IMFC affiliate, and FCE decides to take a year off (or even if they play a year of friendlies), are we down to a 3-team Voyageurs Cup?

Man, I cannot imagine FCE sitting the year out, with the player roster they have on hand and the recent extension to Miller. There must be some fallback plan with USL for 2017.

4 minutes ago, matty said:

the link was posted by me 2 pages ago. the site (which i don't know that well) is apparently well respected. they said they were "expected to join". you're not gonna get any "reported for real" stories on this site aside from hamilton ones until another owner or the league is announced likely

Yeah, I think this guy was the writer of that article...

It doesn't exactly seem like anything is for sure right now.

10 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Yeah, I think this guy was the writer of that article...

It doesn't exactly seem like anything is for sure right now.

oh for sure nothing about the cpl is written in stone but this is a speculation thread above anything else. the fact he was willing to report that they're expect to join the cpl makes me think his source isn't what's being said here or in most canadian soccer circles (as both have generally given up on them joining). also seems like cpl is more likely than usl

Just now, matty said:

oh for sure nothing about the cpl is written in stone but this is a speculation thread above anything else. the fact he was willing to report that they're expect to join the cpl makes me think his source isn't what's being said here or in most canadian soccer circles (as both have generally given up on them joining)

Yeah, agreed. Its funny the first time we're hearing this may in fact be a possibility is when it comes from a guy in Minnesota. 

9 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Yeah, agreed. Its funny the first time we're hearing this may in fact be a possibility is when it comes from a guy in Minnesota. 

I'm guessing the guy is talking to the NASL guys unlike most of the other CPL reporters who are sticking to CSA and Canadian team sources.

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Not only that, but Steven Sandor has consistently said that FC Edmonton have no desire to join CPL. He even tweeted about it again today.

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

Honestly, my gut is saying that if there's no more NASL, the Faths will just close up shop.

Ranking tiers of likeliness
1. Shut Down
2. Shut down and someone quickly hires everyone at management and behind the scenes to start up Edmonton Drillers
3. Fath's sell FCE to a CPL buyer
4. CPL move
5. USL move
6. Sell to USL buyer

Archived