Canadian Premier League

ted

A thought I had last night - if OFFC is going to join, they'll announce that move towards the end of the 2017 season, just as the USL move was announced towards the end of this season.

Because of that, if a league announcement has less teams than expected but doesn't include Ottawa, OFFC could likely be a "bonus" team formally thrown in before the start of play in 2018 and bring the numbers up once OFFC decides to announce the move (if they do move over).

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

A thought I had last night - if OFFC is going to join, they'll announce that move towards the end of the 2017 season, just as the USL move was announced towards the end of this season.

Because of that, if a league announcement has less teams than expected but doesn't include Ottawa, OFFC could likely be a "bonus" team formally thrown in before the start of play in 2018 and bring the numbers up once OFFC decides to announce the move (if they do move over).

I actually like the idea of this. I also wouldn't be too surprised, if NASL does bite the dust, to have something similar come out of Edmonton. We've heard 6, maybe 7. It could be possible that Ottawa & Edmonton are the "maybe" that might even outperform the expectation. A key thing in business is to underpromise & overdeliver, so this would be a great way to do it.

Key word: interest

I am sure there are ownership groups from 12 cities who have touched base or kicked the tires, but I doubt there's 12 with the net worth that would make the numbers being thrown around viable. As an example, I have little doubt that the Highlanders touched base about their interest, but unless a new partner comes in with big plans, they don't seem to have the necessary bank account

I would love to be wrong, ecstatic even, but I'm not letting my expectations rise past 6 team launch and 2 expansions over the first decade. 

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

I am sure there are ownership groups from 12 cities who have touched base or kicked the tires, but I doubt there's 12 with the net worth that would make the numbers being thrown around viable. As an example, I have little doubt that the Highlanders touched base about their interest, but unless a new partner comes in with big plans, they don't seem to have the necessary bank account

I would love to be wrong, ecstatic even, but I'm not letting my expectations rise past 6 team launch and 2 expansions over the first decade. 

Probably fair expectations. I too would love to see Highlanders in the CPL. Would be great to have a pro team I can actually watch in person. But I'm not going to count on it.

I'm thinking that we'll actually see 7 teams to start, given the news re: Cosmos that was triple-confirmed earlier today. FC Edmonton would be a good fit for the league, and may now be interested given the increasingly likely demise of the NASL. Probably have an 8th team in year 2. Then 2 more after 5 years+ of operation.

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The thing is, everybody ideally would rather start with 12 than 7 teams....

The reality is that if thats the case, it would be 7 financially strong teams vs. 5 not so-much..

However, because the purpose of this league is to better the national team, would it really be that bad if we had some teams that were not financially capable as others? 

Do we want the CPL to replicate the MLS? Foreign imports? Or do we want the CPL to be the MLS in terms of opportunities mixed in with the USL development/ opportunities route.?

16 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

The thing is, everybody ideally would rather start with 12 than 7 teams....

The reality is that if thats the case, it would be 7 financially strong teams vs. 5 not so-much..

However, because the purpose of this league is to better the national team, would it really be that bad if we had some teams that were not financially capable as others? 

Do we want the CPL to replicate the MLS? Foreign imports? Or do we want the CPL to be the MLS in terms of opportunities mixed in with the USL development/ opportunities route.?

Exactly. Remember what Montagliani said... like 8 months ago? Ok probably not, but I do since I just rewrote the whole timeline as a gigantic infographic. He said that the quality of the teams and ownership is more important than the number of teams. I suspect that sentiment has carried forward 

Now, I'm ok with a fair % of players being imports. I think we need a middle ground between L1O/MLS2 teams where it's all about development and MLS where a Canadian can barely get a shot. Working towards 50% is fine with me, provides opportunity while still ensuring quality is actually high enough to challenge players' development 

7 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

so i thought there were going to be more concrete details today?  or no?

I wasn't expecting much, outside of a little leak or two. All we know is that the meeting took place and that someone told Totera that 12 cities had expressed interest. I'm not expecting anything official until the new year, though I'm confident we'll get a vague tweet about progress from the CSA

But seriously, if they made the decision to ratify the league's business plan and launch plans today, they'd need at bare minimum a few weeks to arrange marketing and find a free spot in everyone's calendar to do an announcement while simultaneously avoiding other major news stories (like the World Juniors). Didn't expect an official peep today 

6 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

so i thought there were going to be more concrete details today?  or no?

Suspect there's still a need to put the six teams together that would need to be in place to have a formal CPL launch announcement in terms of signatures on contracts, if they are only at the stage of approving the overall business plan. Expressions of interest could easily be something as vague as an email received from a hotmail account asking for details, so I wouldn't obsess too much over that. A spring 2018 launch is really not that far away so the rumour mill should start to get a lot busier very soon as teams launching on that timeline will/would have to contact municipalities and/or universities well in advance about stadium rental deals and front office and coaching staff will/would have to be hired many months in advance of a ball being kicked in anger as has already happened in Hamilton with Paul Beirne.  

Guess it might be fallout from the domestic player rule change as who would have signed their first pro contract for Ottawa in USL rather than an MLS affiliate, if it meant limiting future options? Tie that with stringent domestic content rules and they were painting themselves into a corner in player recruitment terms without an MLS tie in. Bear in mind that TFC initially wanted to have their USL team in Hamilton under the Lynx name. This might not be the last move like this given D2 level sanctioning for USL will mean stricter stadium requirements etc

I guess this IMFC affiliate story does give a certain amount of credibility to the "OFFC on the outside looking in" on CPL theory.  If there's a separate Ottawa team in the works, OSEG might figure that being an MLS affiliate in USL would be the only way they'd be able to keep operating.

I don't know this site that well but MLS reddit seems to like it: http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/source-nasl-four-teams-future-bleak/

FiftyFive.One has learned that the Cosmos have ceased operations and the NASL is now down to only four teams. A source with information of the situation said it “appears that the NASL is officially dead.” It’s expected that those four teams will either go dark or make the move (subject to full vetting by USL and its owners) by the end of the week, if not the end of the USSF Board meeting vote on Tuesday.

The four teams are believed to be Rayo OKC, Fort Lauderdale, New York, and FC Edmonton. This assortment would have little to gain from negotiating with the USL. It’s expected that FC Edmonton will join the prospective Canadian Premier League in 2018, which the other three teams have major questions about their immediate futures.

9 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I guess this IMFC affiliate story does give a certain amount of credibility to the "OFFC on the outside looking in" on CPL theory.  If there's a separate Ottawa team in the works, OSEG might figure that being an MLS affiliate in USL would be the only way they'd be able to keep operating.

What about the CSA sanctioning they made conditional to joining USL that said they had to join CPL at launch?

That would mean that

A-OFFC being IMFC affiliate is temporary and they will indeed join CPL after (seems less likely now)

B-Another group of ownership with deeper pockets will operate out of Ottawa in 2019+ out of the TD Stadium (owned by the City of Ottawa and not the Fury) *Seems more likely now*. Seems OFFC might not have the pockets "deep enough" for CPL and if that's the case, it's probably best for all party. That league needs deep pockets that can put the best players on the pitch and have the best support staff available to them. If they start looking for change now, it's obvious that CPL group doesn't want them as part of their ownership.

This would mean that the Fury could operate from a smaller venue or in Gatineau as Montreal affiliate or/and as the New CPL affiliate team once it starts.

They'd be in USL until a "CPL2/Canadian D2" sees the day as there are no other alternatives in Canada at the moment.

Sad development for Ottawa Fury...

Archived